Grand Targhee, Feb. 5, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Snowave has told us that Targhee is becoming more popular, and that was certainly our first impression. Arriving at 9:45 on a Saturday we were directed to the lowest of 3 lots and it was at least 2/3 full. View from there at the end of the day:

IMG_3545a.JPG

On my prior 5 visits I’ve always been in the upper lot with an easy walk to the base, but this time we were on a shuttle bus. While the base area was very busy, the lift lines on both Dreamcatcher and Sacajawea were in the 5 minute range all day.

On Friday we arrived in Driggs before sunset and drove out to Tetonia to see the lot my son Adam and his wife Alexa bought in 2020. We arrived just in time for the perfect view.

IMG_4084.jpg

On Saturday weather was thick overcast with temps 17F at the base and 10F up top. The upper mountain was shrouded in fog, which I later noted started at Tower 19 out of 24. We first skied Crazy Horse, a groomer with Targhee’s longest fall line, slightly south of west. The snow conditions were all packed powder, moderately softer than at Jackson. I attribute the softer snow to lower skier density. Despite the full parking lots groomed runs had much less skier traffic and ungroomed areas not nearly as many moguls.

We figured the fog would be above Sacajawea so we moved over there. View south from top of Sacajawea:

IMG_3491.JPG

We started far skier’s left with this view into the Teton Valley.

IMG_3493.JPG

We ended up in a long traverse into the Wachable Woods. With so little recent snow we stick to the traverse, but this is surely a good stash on powder days.

IMG_3495.JPG

We skied 4 more groomers plus the ungroomed Powwow, which was 80% packed powder with a little crunch when facing more south. I left Sacajawea via the gate but couldn’t see a clean line through the cliff band up here with a good view of the southern part of the main mountain.

IMG_3497.JPG

I had to traverse quite far skier’s left to get through.

At the base we had read there was a Junior Freestyle completion. I wondered if that would be happening in the weather but When I was looking through that cliff band I could hear noise off to my right.

So when we returned to Dreamcatcher we headed over there to check it out. Here’s the first skier we saw from Telluride dropping this double jump.

IMG_3499a.JPG

IMG_3500a.JPG

The second pic is well timed mid-jump but his dark outfit blends in with the rock he’s jumping.

Another skier from AltaBird on the upper rock with sluffing snow through the lower rocks:
IMG_3511a.JPG

Top of the course with contestants waiting as someone drops in:

IMG_3515b.JPG

Some of the skiers turn on the speed in the middle of the course.

IMG_3517a.JPG

I’d be in a lot of trouble that far in the back seat but he did just fine.

There was a rollover at the bottom not obvious in the light where one competitor did a backflip that I did not see. So later on I tracked that area and caught this guy mid 360.

IMG_3524a.JPG

In the weather we got cold after watching 4 people and skied down for a short thaw break. Our late afternoon runs were off Sitting Bull Ridge. From our 2012 trip we remembered how good the snow was on the Good, Bad and Ugly runs dropping north off that ridge.

Liz on The Good:

IMG_3537a.JPG

Last run on The Bad:

IMG_3543.JPG

We finished up at 3:30 with 22,000 vertical.

Last edited:
What a knockout view your lad will have from his porch! He’ll be a Targhee season pass holder at some point I guess.

Snowave has told us that Targhee is becoming more popular, and that was certainly our first impression. Arriving at 9:45 on a Saturday we were directed to the lowest of 3 lots and it was at least 2/3 full.
It's interesting how mega-pass platforms have transformed comparatively sleepy ski areas like Solitude and GT into bustling resorts, at least on weekends and peak periods. I haven't been to the latter in 11 years and it looks more or less the same except all the cars in overflow parking lots that I didn't know existed.

Targhee is only on Mountain Collective, not Epic or Ikon. I did not know about the lower lots either until Saturday.

Targhee was an unusually quiet area before so there was a lot of room for increased visitation. Lift capacity is fairly modest yet lines are still reasonable on a day with parking near capacity.

This was my first time at Targhee on a Saturday. 2015 was a Sunday and the prior 3 visits were midweek.

Solitude is a special case. It’s the only unlimited Ikon area for a significant metro area with growing numbers of skiers. Mountain Collective is great for travelers but not that great an option for locals skiing a lot at one place.

Bummer it was flat light/overcast. There's been a good amount of sun the last couple weeks across much of the region.

I didn't even know there was a 3rd lot either. During my season there in 2014/15, I don't think I ever parked anywhere but the top lot. I also remember tickets being around $70 or so, too. How times have changed. At least the lifts seemed to handle it OK.

As you're probably aware, the Sacajawea left is being replaced with a new 6-pack this summer which will go to the top of Peaked Mountain. It's also the last season of Cat Skiing, too.

the Sacajawea left is being replaced with a new 6-pack this summer which will go to the top of Peaked Mountain. It's also the last season of Cat Skiing, too.
You can see in the second to last paragraph of my 2004 Grand Targhee article -- back when they were claiming 150,000 ski days a season (I would've guessed fewer) -- how long it can take to carry out expansion plans at ski areas, especially independent ones. Also check out the empty main parking lot at 8:30 am in the pic at the top of the piece.

The skier visit number I've heard maybe 5-6 years ago was 160,000, That's very low for 2,000 acres and that stellar snowfall track record. Snowave is sure that it's been rising recently but I don't know how much.

Last edited:
Looks like the 3rd lot is new this year.

What I thought was interesting was the breakout between day skiers, pass skiers, and Mountain Collective skiers.

What I thought was interesting was the breakout between day skiers, pass skiers, and Mountain Collective skiers.
  • 36% were paid skier visits
  • 48% were season pass visits
  • 7% were Mountain Collective visits
  • 8% were all other ticket types.
It would be interesting to know what the actual revenues from those four ticket types equated to. Has anyone seen stats about whether being part of nationwide pass product (Epic Pass, Ikon) or the variants (Indy Pass, Mountain Collective, Powder Alliance) actually results in increased on-mountain/lodging expenditures?

Several significant projects are mentioned in that article, including employee housing. I wonder how many independent ski areas offer something like that.

I laugh whenever I see the name "Peaked." Even though GT renamed it as "Mary's" in the early 00s, their website still mentioned the original name seven years ago (probably an oversight). "Mary's Bosom" would've been a family-friendly compromise. I suspect that a lot of people don't know what "Grand Tetons" means in French.

Last edited:
Revenues paid to partner areas from multi area passes are a very closely held secret AFAIK. I’m sure it’s negotiated on a case by case basis. A conspicuous example is the $150 up charge on Base Ikon to ski Aspen and Jackson.

Revenues paid to partner areas from multi area passes are a very closely held secret AFAIK. I’m sure it’s negotiated on a case by case basis. A conspicuous example is the $150 up charge on Base Ikon to ski Aspen and Jackson.

I believe Telluride was the first resort not to get acquired, and join either Epic or Ikon via partnership. Developed by Bill Jensen (then CEO).

Bill Jensen, who was Top Dog at Vail Resorts and Intrawest and, over a 45-year career (and counting), applied his velvet (and Midas) touch to an A-list of mountains including Sunday River, Northstar, Breckenridge, Vail, Whistler – and then Telluride. Few have mentored more industry leaders.

Love to ask a range/estimate to Telski employees. However, I believe it is one-way street. Vail/Epic revenue flows to Telski when an Epic Pass is used at Telluride. However, there is no reciprocity (i.e. a Telluride season pass gets no benefits at Vail besides 50% off the daily lift ticket rate at a Vail resort). Telluride passes are expensive as ever - increasingly so - without the benefits of a true partnership.

My brother has to shell out nearly $150-200k per year in employee transferable season passes, since if an employee quits/gets fired he can revoke the pass and transfer it to the next hire. That type of pass costs 5k+.

No idea what other mountains negotiated, but I'm sure this was a template for other Epic partner resorts. Partner gets revenue from Vail - likely has to return very little to Vail. If Targhee has a nearly 10% Mountain Collective visitation rate, these deals could be significant.

It would be interesting to know what the actual revenues from those four ticket types equated to. Has anyone seen stats about whether being part of nationwide pass product (Epic Pass, Ikon) or the variants (Indy Pass, Mountain Collective, Powder Alliance) actually results in increased on-mountain/lodging expenditures?

Several significant projects are mentioned in that article, including employee housing. I wonder how many independent ski areas offer something like that.

I think there has been a lot of population growth in mountain towns, down valley communities and metro areas causing the influx of skiers - and parking issues.

I look at the build-out of Jackson/Driggs from 20+ years ago....it's huge!

Telluride powder days - when lines are the worse - it's almost all locals causing the crowding.

Nimbyism wants to blame the tourist, but they should look in the mirror as the answer for a lot of the business. Also, resorts have invested in lift and terrain expansion - but a lot of parking has disappeared via real estate or cannot be expanded due to forest service rules.

I laugh whenever I see the name "Peaked." Even though GT renamed it as "Mary's" in the early 00s, their website still mentioned the original name seven years ago (probably an oversight). "Mary's Bosom" would've been a family-friendly compromise. I suspect that a lot of people don't know what "Grand Tetons" means in French.

yeah, it would be interesting to know what percentages the passes pay to the ski areas. I kinda asked a resort employee (that is in the know) at a resort recently about that regarding an Indy Pass Resort, and although I didn't get any specific details, it didn't sound like a huge amount. However, as we know getting people to the resort is half the battle as they make the "real" money with on mountain purchases, etc. Tamarack has some on mtn lodging, but I have no idea how much they book. Brundage currently does not, but they might have partners in town... and they will have on mtn lodging in the next couple years.

As far as Independent ski area employee housing... it might be an anomaly, but both Brundage and Tamarack have some employee housing, and both are building more of it starting next year as expansion plans begin. I think it HAS to become more common, especially as the price of housing in even small/Indy mtn ski towns (McCall) has become out of reach for most workers at ski areas.

btw, James.. I sent you a message the other day (in case you haven't seen it).

I believe Telluride was the first resort not to get acquired, and join either Epic or Ikon via partnership.
Not sure that is correct. It was for sure the first Epic Pass ski area in that mold, but Ikon has always had lots of 'partner' resorts from the very beginning.

Telluride's first year on Epic was the first year of the Ikon, 2018-19. Telluride had been on Mountain Collective in 2017-18.

So maybe semantics given the same season? I think Ikon launched passes in spring and Telluride only announced joining Epic later? Not a material difference, but would fit my memory of that time frame.

Back