Guns in America (Loaded but now Locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyover

Trump supporter, not all elections but definitely this one. God, guns and love of Country. I am all about freedom and not being told what to do.
I have three sons that all learned to respect firearms and use them at a very young age.
My children were home alone , oldest being 14. Someone with white van tried to force his way into our home. By the time cops arrived it was over. We live in a rural area. Sons held up a 20 gauge shotgun and the man split
Now what if America was like Canada. You can’t protect yourself with a firearm but Trudeau can have armed guards.
Without firearm protection, my life and family might be way different.
Trump is an ass but will protect freedom and my personal rights way better than the Vaccine mandate loving Democrat party did.
I’m honestly very glad things worked out for the best for your family, and I take you at your word that the 20-gauge likely made the difference.

I’ve also got scary stories involving crime, guns, and my family.

In the summer of 2020, a 9mm slug came through one of our windows.

In the winter of 2021, just across the street from a city park full of people sledding, skating, and playing pick-up hockey, my daughter and a friend, both 15 at the time, were mugged by two pistol-brandishing teenagers who appeared to be well under the age of 18.

Nobody was hurt either time, but it is very difficult for me not to conclude that European-style gun laws and corresponding much lower prevalence of guns in the USA would very likely have kept my family out of harm’s way. I’m also pretty confident that far more American children are killed or injured by firearms in domestic violence, as bystanders to gun violence, in mass shootings, by accident, and by suicide than American children who are protected from harm by defending themselves with a firearm from an assailant or being defended by an adult with a firearm from an assailant.

Freedom? (1) As has already been pointed out, I don’t think anybody on either side of the aisle seems to be coming for anyone’s long-barrel shotguns, (2) several red states have child-access laws, and (3) although it may be technically an open question as to whether minors have Second-Amendment rights, precedent and the analysis of historical regulations that the Supreme Court has (insanely, IMO) required courts to apply to review of gun laws does not seem to favor an extension of Second-Amendment rights to minors.

The freedoms to have my vote for someone other than Trump count, to protest, and to not have someone I love unnecessarily die from an ectopic pregnancy, to name just a few examples, mean a lot to me. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Last edited:
The breakdown of the American family and core values have added to the America’s problems and violence
Canada on the other hand ? Trudeau says you can you own a firearm for hunting, recreational purpose but not for self protection.
Is Trudeau anymore important than Mad Pat or his family? Because he is protecting by firearms?
I think Trudeau and generally our leaders lives are way more in danger that random people in Canada.
The randowness of gun violence in the US is insane. Guns laws aren't new, defined by the current PM or Canada, most Western countries have gun laws; the US is the outlier here.
Why are the number of guns violence or accidental/deaths so high in the US versus other countries like Canada, Australia, UK, etc.

That’s got nothing to do with guns.
It’s totally ok to hunt humans in the us, especially kids.
But they want to outlaw abortion , even in the case of rape and an incest and in some cases save the mothers life.

And my wife thinks I’m crazy for telling my kids not to have children

Yeah I’m a bit emotional about his crap

Last edited:
Following yesterday's shooting, a friend brought up Obama's infamous "guns and religion" comment that caused him so much grief in 2008 and (some would conjecture) laid the groundwork for Hillary Clinton's even more infamous "deplorables" comment, which may have cost her the electoral college in 2016. It's interesting to note how eight years after this article was posted, we're still fighting that same battle.

But they want to outlaw abortion , even in the case of rape and an incest and in some cases save the mothers life.

I was being sarcastic.

I live in rural PA. All of our schools have 2 to 3 armed former Police or Military patrolling our schools. What is the rest of the Country doing.
I think the Democrats voted down a bill to provide a security and safety bill for our schools.
On a Sunday morning where I gather with others it is a very safe place. We all are locked and loaded.
. Gun freeze zones are very dangerous places to be. Just ask Chicago?
Mentally ill and criminals never have or cared about or followed our laws.

There you go again.
All of our schools have 2 to 3 armed former Police or Military patrolling our schools. What is the rest of the Country doing.
On a Sunday morning where I gather with others it is a very safe place. We all are locked and loaded.
We shall ski on a Sunday morning! I'll keep you in front of me tho...

I live in rural PA. All of our schools have 2 to 3 armed former Police or Military patrolling our schools. What is the rest of the Country doing.
Texas is very permissive about letting its citizens carry loaded weapons. How did that work out in Uvalde? The police were there in short order but didn't do much in the way of stopping the shooter. What does it cost to have 3 armed patrollers in every(?) school every day?

Was the shooter’s dad (buying his 14yr gun for Christmas) a mentally ill man? I think so, but many in the US are fine with it.
Gun freeze zones are very dangerous places to be. Just ask Chicago?
Gun freeze zone? Pretty hard to inforce when you have neighbour state that don’t have strict gun laws and people travel freely across state lines (as they should be able to).
Danger isn’t a gun free zone, but it doesn’t have a free of all laissez faire attitude towards guns.
What is the difference? How many school/work place or accidental shooting cause versus Canada or any other Western countries?

There's a level of entertainment here, but in terms of discussion further commentary is not likely to be productive. So I'm locking the thread.

Guns are off limits in the election thread going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back