Hiking to Dog Lake, Wasatch Mountains, UT 7/13/2013

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Today was Saturday, so it was time to get back into the mountains and try to wear out Jake. We didn't get started until after noon and AmyZ and I had to be at Skidog's at 5 p.m. to celebrate his second child's 1st birthday, so Dog Lake was an easy choice.

By ascending via the Big Water trail and descending via Little Water, it was a 5.7-mile loop with 1,292 feet of elevation gain, at least from the lowest overflow parking spot that we were forced to use. The trail was mobbed with people, which isn't terribly surprising as it was a nice weather Saturday, it's only 10 road miles from suburban SLC neighborhoods, and it's one of the few nearby mountain places without watershed restrictions so that you can bring your dog. Dog Lake is very appropriately named.

Dog Lake map.jpg

(For an interactive map of our GPS track with the photos placed visit http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php ... da37794b1e)

The Upper Canyon doesn't open until July 1 each year, so it's the first time I've been up there this season. The Upper Canyon trails are open to dogs off-leash on odd-numbered days only, and mountain bikes on even-numbered days only. That essentially transforms the hike to Dog Lake into one giant dog park every other day.

The elevation of this hike ranges from 7,498 feet to 8,738 feet, where the wildflowers are currently in full bloom:

20130713_143144.jpg

20130713_140725.jpg

20130713_142554.jpg

20130713_142143.jpg

With time being short we motored, averaging 2.4 mph, although we did spend enough time at the lake to let Jake swim and make some new friends. The water level is already frightfully low for this time of year; it looks more like late August or September's water level.

20130713_141142.jpg

20130713_141206.jpg

20130713_141221.jpg

I was back home at 3:30 and made it to Skidog's on time. While we were there a thunderstorm pushed over the Oquirrh Mountains, through his Sandy neighborhood and on to the Wasatch, revealing in its wake a vivid double rainbow reaching down directly into Little Cottonwood Canyon.

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

Just another Saturday in Utah.

lono":6aqfebhh said:
Great pics of wildflowers! Can any readers identify them, much thanks.

I certainly can't.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin":3volwwhb said:
While we were there a thunderstorm pushed over the Oquirrh Mountains, through his Sandy neighborhood and on to the Wasatch, revealing in its wake a vivid double rainbow reaching down directly into Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Sorry, not LCC but the bottom of Bell Canyon as shown in my photo:
DSCN1342.JPG

lono":3tu2g06k said:
Great pics of wildflowers! Can any readers identify them, much thanks.
The 4 pics, in order:
1 - golden aster
2 - blue penstemon
3 - columbine
4 - some other pink penstemon

Certainly all of those are more finely classified, but I sure don't know down to that level of detail. Also, the problem with penstemons if you're not a botanist is that there are over 100 varieties native to Utah.

Marc_C":1q61vzh1 said:
Admin":1q61vzh1 said:
While we were there a thunderstorm pushed over the Oquirrh Mountains, through his Sandy neighborhood and on to the Wasatch, revealing in its wake a vivid double rainbow reaching down directly into Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Sorry, not LCC but the bottom of Bell Canyon as shown in my photo:
DSCN1342.JPG

It moved.

Beautiful flower and rainbow pics in an awesome alpine setting. Jake appeared to enjoy Dog Lake, too.
How were the bugs?

baldyskier":nxp8y38r said:
Beautiful flower and rainbow pics in an awesome alpine setting. Jake appeared to enjoy Dog Lake, too.
How were the bugs?

Black fly season has apparently moved from the Uintas to the Wasatch. They weren't biting but they were swarming.

Admin":g76izv43 said:
I had to be at Skidog's at 5 p.m. to celebrate his second child's 1st birthday

That's a brave move, hanging out with a 1 yr old when you don't really have to, lol. I guess it also explains the dramatic drop in the number of posts by Skidog since he has 2 reasons to be extra busy.

EMSC":32iukl2m said:
Admin":32iukl2m said:
I had to be at Skidog's at 5 p.m. to celebrate his second child's 1st birthday

That's a brave move, hanging out with a 1 yr old when you don't really have to, lol.

It was more of an excuse for everyone to get together. There were two kids besides Skidog's, and about 15 "adults" including our whole ski posse (which explains why I put "adults" in quotes). And Jackson's a good kid - I kept getting high fives. :lol:

I admit that I'm not huge on kids but I'm not nearly as bad as Marc_C, whose two favorite lines are:

"What do you mean I don't like kids? I love kids - they taste just like chicken! "

And...

"I love kids. I prefer mine medium rare. "

Marc_c is warming up to my kids i think....i mean he showed up to a 1yd olds bday party thats PROGRESS!!!! \:D/

Was a fun time but i imbibed WAY too much..Sunday was NOT pleasant.

Skidog":u44toljb said:
Marc_c is warming up to my kids i think....i mean he showed up already partially buzzed to a 1yd olds bday party thats PROGRESS!!!! \:D/
Fixed that for ya!

Skidog":u44toljb said:
Was a fun time but i imbibed WAY too much..Sunday was NOT pleasant.
You too, huh?

Back