Hunter, NY: 12/20/09

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Staff member
This could only happen in the East, I woke up to (and shoveled) 15 inches of blower at my New Jersey home then drove 100 miles north to ski somewhere that received nothing, zilch. Harvey and I arrived at Hunter a little after 8:30, quickly got on the lifts, and headed straight over to Hunter West just as they dropped the rope on Way Out, giving us first dibs on fresh, rock-hard corduroy.

Way Out.jpg

While it's no longer able to claim the "Snowmaking Capitol of the World" title anymore, the display of firepower is pretty impressive. It's amazing to see that they had 95% of the terrain open and in good shape with very little natural snow. Here's one of the technicians tending to his cache:
Snowman.jpg

We spent the first hour doing laps on a top-to-bottom Claire's Way, Colonel's Alternate, and Taylor's Run, all of which were being pummeled by snowmaking, resulting in irregular minivan-size bumps. Here's Harvey doing some of that free-heel voodoo:
Harvey Claires 1.jpg

Me on Colonel's Alternate:
James Colonels 1.jpg

While there was some ugly styrofoam up top, most of the terrain was in really nice shape: chalky and edgeable. Here's Harvey on K27:
Harvey K27.jpg

Kind of a shock to the system after my exquisite day at Mary Jane five days earlier, but you have to admire Hunter's ability to defy nature. What's really funny is when you ski through trails that were literally blasted into the mountain, like an interstate. No surprise that most of the trail names are taken from real-life streets and highways. Still, once we transitioned into "it is what it is" mode, Hunter was a good time. Harvey was impressed by the number of steep shots spread throughout, especially on the west side.

James Eisenhower.jpg

Yeah I know I missed a good day. Funny how work gets in the way of a good time..

Between you two, those are the best pics you could come up with?
Whats up with the Man in the yellow hat and a picture of a closed sign..very disappointed 8) :lol: .

Hey Mark, nice fanny pack..it looks like your skiing with a parachute..
enough Don Rickles , It looks like Hunter really did a bang up job getting the whole mountain opened.

jasoncapecod":104dd7rl said:
Hey Mark, nice fanny pack.
I see that I'm not the only that noticed that? And James as the mask-skier. :-D

Nice to see you guys out and enjoying the snow.

jasoncapecod":2fcxt3u8 said:
Hey Mark, nice fanny pack..

Had a good laugh with the owner of Terra Nova Equipment about that term at Outdoor Retailer last summer. They're a British company, and it seems that the term "fanny" has a uniquely different connotation in the UK...

Patrick":t4ste9p0 said:
And James as the mask-skier.
Ten degrees with a pretty stiff wind. I pulled out the gaiter, put on the mittens, and cranked up the Hottronics. :bow:

Good thing about when temps are that cold is that the hose snow is very convincing. Nice and dry, but with just enough body to keep you from hitting bottom. Seriously, when we ripped through areas that had just been blasted (Clare's, Cross Over), it was pretty sweet. Heh, I'm sounding like a Hunter regular now... discussing the vagaries of faux powder. I'm curious how much their electric bill is going to be this month.

jamesdeluxe":1rcbocsa said:
Patrick":1rcbocsa said:
And James as the mask-skier.
Ten degrees with a pretty stiff wind. I pulled out the gaiter, put on the mittens, and cranked up the Hottronics. :bow:

I'm curious how much their electric bill is going to be this month.

I know, MRG's was cold and the wind was stiff. :wink: I keep that stuff for the real cold days. :lol:

Electric bill...they probably saved a ton of money in November with the warm temps and no serious snowmaking (guessing here of course).

Harvey44":3usstppz said:
The fanny pack .... what ..do all you guys ski in tights and carry just a credit card?

Ummm....a backpack?

And FYI, "fanny" is UK slang for a part of the female anatomy you go to an Ob-Gyn for.

Harvey44":11knnx20 said:
Harvey44":11knnx20 said:
The fanny pack .... what ..do all you guys ski in tights and carry just a credit card?

Ummm....a backpack?

And FYI, "fanny" is UK slang for a part of the female anatomy you go to an Ob-Gyn for.

Awwwwwwww, crap!!! I meant to quote you, not edit your post!! #-o Harv, I'm so, so sorry...I've accidentally overwritten your post. ](*,)

I was actually pleased to see a real report with pics from Hunter. Snowmaking dependent areas are at their best when they first get full coverage. The manmade is nearly undistinguishable from natural when it's new and freshly groomed. The difference becomes more apparent after it's been compacted for awhile as Admin and I noted at Deer Valley last January. Pitch on that west side looks better than most of Big Bear. My guess is that Hunter = Mt. High terrain with Big Bear snowmaking capacity. Mt. High and Big Bear do on rare occasions have off-trail tree skiing. Given the comments about Hunter's runs being blasted out of rock, I suspect it's even rarer or non-existent at Hunter.

Dude. It's hard enough to stay employed, get a few turns in, and post a comment every now and then, without someone deleting me!

Just to be safe: "James nice report on Alta. Love the way they can open those Wasatch molehills on 95% manmade snow."

In my original post, I was trying to give Jason crap about his comment on my butt bag. I told a few folksy tales about what I carry in that magic bag of tricks. And I told tales about how I saved a couple of FTO posters a$$es with the contents of that butt bag.

Whats in your butt bag.jpg

Let's take this in a different direction. Some of you hosers have accused me of being too positive in my reports. We all know James' TRs are a benchmark in no-bull reporting.

We skied the same hill, on the same day, and did not see each others reports before they were published. Compare my report and tell me if it's legit or not:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12/hu ... 22009.html

Code:
I was trying to give Jason crap about his comment on my butt bag

Bring it on brotha :lol:

nice report on your blog
Given the comments about Hunter's runs being blasted out of rock, I suspect it's even rarer or non-existent at Hunter.
Hunter has a couple of real glades off of the "F" lift. Due to the lack of natural snow, they are rarely skied..

jasoncapecod":3sy9qse1 said:
Hunter has a couple of real glades off of the "F" lift. Due to the lack of natural snow, they are rarely skied..
There was so much snowmaking cranking on K-27 and Crossover that I felt Milky Glade was ready for a maiden voyage. But we got distracted by Crossover's near perfect snow (did it about five times), and forgot about Milky until we were almost on the Thruway.

Back