Jackson Hole, WY, Feb. 2, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We delayed our drive north from Utah by a day as some of the Diamond Dogs had reported unfavorably upon their Jan. 20-27 week in Jackson. We knew that Jackson had only 5 inches snow in the second half of January. I wasn’t overly concerned as I had skied Mineral Basin over the weekend and its east facing sectors like Silver Dipper retained winter snow.

We were pleased to find overall snow surfaces at Jackson this week better than at Alta/Snowbird over the prior weekend:

• Jackson got 1-3 inches Monday though only a trace at the base.
  • Jackson was mostly dry the last two weeks of January while Utah’s dry spell has been 3 weeks so far.
  • The colder temperatures at Jackson have probably preserved softer snow than in Utah. The sunnier exposure is not so relevant in January.
For whatever reasons, there was much more loose/soft snow on surfaces at Jackson vs. stiffer windpack/chalk at AltaBird.

Liz and I did not get going until 10:30 so we started with the tram, which was essentially walk-on. This is partially due to Jackson retaining the ticket reservation system it instituted last year for COVID. Only season passholders are not required to reserve in advance.

We started with where we expected snow to be best on the upper half of Rendezvous Peak. Liz in Rendezvous Bowl:

IMG_3449.JPG

It was 0F up there but sunny. I had new Gordini gloves and once I added liners they were fine all day without changing to mittens. Lower mountain temps ranged from 2F when we arrived to 10F in the afternoon. With the sun and no wind this was as comfortable as I’ve skied in this temperature range.

We skied a couple of laps on Sublette. We saw these guys near the top of Laramie Bowl.

IMG_3451.JPG

I’ve only seen this attire before for July 4 skiing at Mammoth.

I next skied Cheyenne Bowl while Liz skied Bivouac. We left Sublette via Tensleep Bowl and Cirque to Thunder. All of these runs except the direct south facing part of Cirque had soft winter snow.

We thus thought it was worth testing the Lower Faces. Liz skied North Colter while I skied Lower Sublette Ridge. Views from there:

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG

The Lower Faces are thoroughly mogulled but they are well spaced, usually not very deep and with soft chalky snow. There’s lots of room out there so not everyone is skiing the same line and scraping the snow down. When Liz and I met at Union Pass, it was an easy call to stay and ski a third day.

We took a short break and skied the Casper, Teton and Apres Vous areas the rest of the day. View of Rendezvous from top of the Bridger gondola:

IMG_3456.JPG

Corbett’s is in upper right corner and Tower 3 Chute is at far left. Paintbrush and Upper Amphitheater are also in view.

Much of this side takes more direct sun than the Rendezvous side. Casper and Teton groomers were similar in snow conditions to AltaBird groomers, though most of them are wider so perhaps less scraped off in the afternoon. We skied Easy Does it and Sleeping Indian on Casper, then Kemmerer, Crag’s Run and Wide Open on Teton. Liz on Crag’s Run:

IMG_3457.JPG

We skied Werner and St. John’s on Apres Vous. St. John’s:

IMG_3458.JPG

The chair is direct south facing, so as expected this was the firmest snow of the day, though still not at the level we saw in Deer Valley. These runs have snowmaking, but it has not been used since the 4 foot dump during Christmas Week.

End of the day view from the base of Lower Faces at left and some new construction at far right:

IMG_3461.JPG

We skied 25,900 vertical Wednesday.

Last edited:
Tony violating his own guidance -- never ski at Jackson Hole after Jan 31!!
Incorrect. The cold weather and inversions persist quite reliably about halfway into February. Liz' and my first trip together here was Feb. 6-9, 2012. That one had the inversion the first three days and some light snow the last day.

The current weather is high pressure from the Arctic. The cold has reached Utah and Tahoe as well, though surfaces in those locations are not so pleasant as they had some warmer weather earlier in the current dry spell.

I've had crappy snow in late January at JH several times. Even the low sun angle can still wreck that SE facing part of mountain if there is no inversion, or you're above it.

Yes we are learning right now during this drought from hell that there is plenty of variation in prevailing weather patterns. It is very fortunate that both Jackson and Targhee have stayed cold during this time.

Mid February is the average time that the cold/inversion can break up but it can be earlier. There was a big temperature spike over much of the West Jan. 26, 2015, just two days after we had enjoyed 4 excellent days at Jackson.

Conversely there have been a couple of seasons at Jackson in the past decade where continuous storm cycles and powder have persisted to early March before the first widespread melt/freeze.

My personal experience in this time frame in the Lower Faces is that the skier’s left side of the ridges that faces more east retains winter snow even if there is some crunch on skier’s right facing more south.

Obviously there is a combination of temperature threshold and sun angle that will melt/freeze the entire Lower Faces. My impression many years ago from skiing Vail’s Back Bowls mid January is that the temps need to stay below 20F with the sunny exposure.

Last edited:
Back