Lost Trail, MT, March 30, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This is close to a clone of flyover’s TR from March 24 posted earlier today. I wrote it and the end of March Season Progress Report during our 650 mile drive from Ketchum to Bishop, which I’m sure was child’s play compared to flyover’s recent trek from Minneapolis to Montana.

Part of the reason for spending three days at Philipsburg/Discovery is that Lost Trail is only open Thursday –Sunday. No surprise in its end of the earth location that we were there for its last “Powder Thursday” of the season as April 2 is its closing day.

There were only a couple of inches snow during the Monday-Wednesday closed days, but it snowed 4 inches Wednesday night and dumped the entire time we were skiing Thursday. Even with mellower weather on a Saturday in 2015, Tseeb and I found plenty of leftovers in the expansive chair 4 terrain. So with today’s conditions it was a very safe bet to head that way for as many untracked runs as we could handle riding that long slow chair (30 lift towers) in inclement weather.

IMG_1231.JPG

We mostly pushed skier’s left from chair 4 for 4 of our 5 runs there, skiing through the scattered trees to enhance visibility. It was not a photogenic day, but Liz was certainly enjoying her 35th day of the season.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1241a.JPG

IMG_1246a.JPG

IMG_1249a.JPG

IMG_1251a.JPG

IMG_1256a.JPG

Not bad for someone informed in December that she needs a knee replacement.

We had gone to chair 4 right away because we were not on the hill until close to 11AM. But on the return to the main area I diverted into Area 51, which had some short but steep and deep tree shots.
IMG_9230.JPG

Harvey and James will appreciate this plaque at the chair 1 loading station.

IMG_1260.JPG

We skied 3 runs on chairs 1 and 2, which even after 2PM had only lightly tracked powder. We skied only 14,100 vertical but about 10K of powder. We quit skiing at 3:15 as we had a potentially tough drive to Sun Valley. Fortunately snow was not sticking to the road driving down the North Fork of the Salmon. But the snowbanks going over 8,701 foot Galena Summit between Stanley and Ketchum were impressive.

IMG_4614.JPG

We got to our hotel in Ketchum about 8PM. At least it’s not difficult to get a restaurant dinner in Ketchum after 8PM as it was in Philipsburg.

Last edited:
Not an app, just an estimate. I’m fairly stringent about not counting traverses and runouts. The SacJac trees are nearly untracked all day but the runout consumes at least 1/4 of the chair 4 vertical for example.

Back