Mammoth, CA, Aug. 4-5, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I got up early and parked by bus stop A about 6:45 on Friday and walked to the gondola building to await the 7:30 opening. There I met Scott from the old Mammoth Forum and we skied about 10 runs together. We exited at McCoy station and walked to chair 3 as Climax has been closed since Tuesday and there are no snow strips through its rock band now.

Weather has cooled since the July heat waves. Overnight lows in the 40's plus salting meant shaded Saddle Bowl and Gremlin's were frozen granular at opening bell. But Cornice takes morning sun and was good right away.
IMG_2927.JPG

They did a nice job contouring this path from the top of 23, slightly lower than it was in 2017. Some people took their skis up the gondola and walked down to Cornice Friday. This was forbidden Saturday.

We skied 7 laps on Cornice before skier traffic chewed it into slushy moguls around 10AM. I took pics while riding chair 23. First, the closed Wipe Out side with prepared strip coming into the base of 23 in the foreground:
IMG_2913.JPG

Scotty's has more snow than in 2017, but I saw only one skier walking from the top in that direction. He would also have a considerable walk from the end of the snow to either chair 23 or the lower gondola.

View straight up 23:
IMG_2914.JPG

Drop Out Side:
IMG_2917.JPG

The upper steeps were sketchier than in 2017.

Some people were willing to downclimb to Drop Out 1:
IMG_2930.JPG

I passed on this. In 2017 I stepped over some scree on my skis to get in there, but the snow was higher.

Gremlin's (left) and Upper St. Anton (right) were groomed wider than in 2017.
IMG_2920a.JPG

Nearly all of our Cornice runs transitioned smoothly into Upper St. Anton. After 10AM Gremlin's, having been well frozen early, had the best groomer skiing.

When tseeb was here the Unbound park had been cannibalized to keep Broadway open to July 30. At that point this jump was built in Saddle Bowl.
IMG_2912a.JPG

Once Cornice was too clumpy, we traversed beyond it to some skier packed lines. Scott is skiing the middle one here:
IMG_2909.JPG

He took a break and skied a couple of runs on 3 before leaving by 10:30.

Everyone knows about The Hulk embedded high on a rock near chair 23 since 2014. Recently this Chihuahua with sunglasses was placed in the lower set of rocks under chair 23.
IMG_2906a.JPG

The pic is zoomed and the Chihuahua is hard to find, but Scott showed me where it was.

I alternated three more laps past Cornice down to Gremlin's with two on Drop Out 3. View down the last skier packed line past Cornice, which starts under Hangman's:
IMG_2923.JPG

View from same spot of skiers coming off the back of chair 3 into Saddle Bowl:
IMG_2925.JPG

Looking from halfway down Drop Out 3:
IMG_2932.JPG

Lonnie, Liz and I have seen this guy with umbrella and snow blades in other late seasons.
IMG_2931.JPG

The umbrella works as an air brake on steeper terrain.
IMG_2935.JPG

After 9AM chairs 3 and 23 had lines of 15-20 people, very manageable. There were almost no lines on Aug. 3, 2017 because:
1) It was Thursday vs. Friday
2) You could still ski Climax from the gondola

I quit about 11:15 with 17,900 vertical. The skiing had less variety than in 2017 but quality of snow was good by skiing Cornice laps early in the morning and ungroomed plus Gremlin's later on. Driving down, cars were parked to the upper end of the chair 2 lot.

I had hiking plans for Saturday, but August 5 was an unskied date. I got up there as early as Friday, but was parked between bus stops A and B. I met Scott again and skied 5 Cornice laps (6,300 vertical total) before bailing at 8:50. I would not have been happy if only skiing on the weekend, because here's the chair 23 liftline at 8:30, and it built further while we were waiting.
IMG_2941a.JPG

At least the scenery was nice!

Leaving the parking area at 9:15, tons of people we still on their way in, and I know the snow on Cornice was well churned already. The chair 2 parking lot was full.

Last edited:
Wish I was there to close out the historical season.
Mammoth did not announce open in August until July 20, over a month later than in 2017. Overall I'd say this year melted out a few days but less than a week earlier than in 2017 up top. Climax closed 4 days earlier this season, and the path from top of 23 to Cornice might have been a challenge to maintain another week. Broadway lasted two weeks longer in 2023 but Face of 3 lasted 2 weeks longer in 2017. The strips leading to chairs 3 and 23 were slightly deeper this year, but that's not to say they could have held out another week. The traffic to those lifts was intense this weekend.

Depending on the recovery of Patrick's elbow, I suspect a return to New Jersey for August.

Last edited:
Depending on the recovery of Patrick's elbow, I suspect a return to New Jersey for August.
Return, yes if I go. Seeing Orthopaedic surgeon in 2 weeks and we'll see after that. The Indoor skiing would be first time this season and only second for me.

I'm sure Patrick would go to New Jersey no matter the state of his elbow. But I suspect he won't travel to a real ski area until it's fully recovered.

A couple of pictures borrowed from SkiTalk Mammoth thread. First is line for gondola about 705 on Sunday (they open at 730). Too bad it doesn’t include whole line. Person who posted it took four runs and said it was awesome.
7867B48A-1B67-4B95-A198-4AE3A8595717.jpeg

Line for chair 23 at 840.
D9D3DA6E-2A8B-487C-9DA1-263411A1B8F9.jpeg
They lost and apparently moved a lot of snow between 7/26-27 when I skied there (my latest ever) and closing weekend.

The strip in the last pic above and the one going to chair 3 were quite substantial. I think they were hand salting the strip to 23 during the morning because I never felt grabby snow there on Friday up to my last ride about 11AM.

Person who posted it took four runs and said it was awesome.
I don't question the quality of skiing. I do question the amount of time it probably took on Sunday to get those four runs. This is the reason I have have skied Mammoth's closing week 13x but only skied the closing day 4x.

There's nothing here that we don't already know but just showing that CA's season is getting media coverage from the coastal elites. :icon-lol:
Thanks for including functional link for us non-subscribers. Not sure who they mean (or just wrong) when they say, "Two of the biggest ski resorts on Lake Tahoe were still hopping on the Fourth of July, a time of year when the mountains are usually full of wildflowers." While three Lake Tahoe ski areas (Alpine, Palisades, Donner Ski Ranch) ran lifts for Memorial Day weekend (and Dodge Ridge on the W slope of Sierra far S of Tahoe ran one chair on that Sat/Sun), only Alpine ran on Fourth of July weekend and walking was required to get to base of lift at least a couple of days.

You don't suppose that guy with the umbrella and blades could be the same one who for years has skied in LCC and BCC in mid-winter??

From Alta, 23 Apr 2021:

23 apr alta character (1).jpg

I thought there was only one Krazy Geoge and he invented The Wave.
I saw him and took this picture at San Jose Earthquakes soccer game June 17, 2023, my first game in a couple of years.
6821CrazyGeorgeP.JPG

But we also have someone with the same name at the end of our street in South Lake Tahoe. I thought he may have affected the sale of this property that has a view (and is skiable from) of Heavenly, but it is under contract.

I thought there was only one Krazy Geoge and he invented The Wave.
I saw him and took this picture at San Jose Earthquakes soccer game June 17, 2023, my first game in a couple of years.
View attachment 37359
But we also have someone with the same name at the end of our street in South Lake Tahoe. I thought he may have affected the sale of this property that has a view (and is skiable from) of Heavenly, but it is under contract.
Wow. I just read the link about Crazy George. I thought he was Canadian as I had seen him during BC Lions games in the CFL.

A Google search indicated that Solitude is his home hill, which explains why James has seen him.
He was always in a straw hat with no poles, often seen tailgating in the Eagle parking lot.

2011:
file-jpg.jpg

By 2018, he'd switched over to a nón lá, a Vietnamese conical hat:
002-jpg.jpg

Back