Mammoth, July 18-19, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Liz’ knee replacement got infected when I was last at Mammoth. She had a second surgery July 5 to clean it out and after 6 days at the hospital is at home with picc line setup to get IV antibiotics 3x a day for 6 weeks.

After a week of this routine, I made a short run to Mammoth Tuesday/Wednesday with only one night there. In summer I would often do an afternoon hike after morning skiing, but this time I drove Tuesday morning and got up to Lake Mary by about 2:30. I wanted to check out some of the Duck Lake trail where I have not been before.

Skelton-Lake-Trail-Map.jpg

I had never hiked in this area, and so started with less than a mile to Emerald Lake.

IMG_2825.JPG

Past Emerald Lake the trail ascends a forested ridge to join the main Duck Lake trail as shown in red on the map above. The trail in this area was often hidden by snow patches but I managed to find it on top of the ridge. Even though this took awhile I thought I would at least make it to Skelton Lake.

But as I walked south past the loop trail intersection I saw this lake to my right (west).

IMG_2833.JPG

There is no such lake on the map. I soon came to another one not on a map.

IMG_2843.JPG

The bushes in the water probably indicate that it’s a flooded meadow. And here is the stream between the two unmarked lakes.

IMG_2842.JPG

Looking to the southern edge of the flooded meadow there is substantial water flowing into it.

IMG_2844.JPG

An equally strong flow was out the northern end leading down to Arrowhead Lake. As it was past 4PM and I was skiing the next day, I had a snack here and proceeded no further. Even though Skelton Lake is not much farther, the trail to it may be partly under water.

On the way out I took the short detour to Arrowhead Lake.

IMG_2857.JPG

And later there was another detour to a viewpoint of the south side of Mammoth Mountain beyond Lake Mary.

IMG_2863.JPG

The trailhead is about 9,100 feet and I got up close to 10,000. Here’s a bigger map of the area, with my modest hiking route in purple.
barney-lake-duck-lake-hiking-map.jpg
With a full day the trail over the Mammoth Crest at 10,800 and down to Duck Lake at 10,500 is 10.4 miles round trip. The hike just to Barney Lake at 10,300 is 5.4 miles round trip and would be quite moderate once the snow and water subside.

Wednesday morning I parked by bus stop A just down from Main Lodge after 7:30. I walked directly to the gondola with this view up the mountain.

IMG_2868a.JPG

Last weekend was the end for the lower race course runs but there is still a continuous strip from St. Anton.

The top of Broadway has narrowed but it branches out below and some of the Unbound park features remain.

IMG_2875.JPG

I exited the upper gondola about 8AM to this view.

IMG_2877a.JPG

A narrow strip to Cornice remains, with this view down.

IMG_2879.JPG

This was smooth corn already so worth an encore.

At the bottom of Cornice I could see the only area being used by racers at skier’s right of Saddle Bowl.

IMG_2871.JPG

I made the error of continuing down Broadway, which was solid frozen granular from salting. Notice from the pics that it was mostly overcast. The clouds remained until about 10:30, which prevented the late morning from getting too slushy despite overnight low temp of 52F per OpenSnow. The Broadway run was an error because chair 1 was closed so I had to schlep across the road to the gondola.

IMG_2874.JPG

I inquired, and learned that water runoff during the scorching past weekend (as high as 94F in town of Mammoth and at least 75F on the mountain) had undermined the snowpack by chair 1’s loading area.

I was also puzzled by mostly wall-to-wall coverage on Face of 3, yet no entry had been maintained to it as on July 30, 2017. A knowledgeable gondola passenger explained that during the weekend heat wave the snowcats were unable to push snow uphill. The cat driver he talked to wants to fix that but the temperatures need to come down some. Another issue is that they only have 8 people working grooming this summer vs. at least twice that many in 2017. It’s hard to keep cat drivers around in summer when they can make more $$$ on construction jobs.

After another Cornice lap, I loaded at mid to try Climax.

IMG_2888.JPG

Climax was very similar to July 30, 2017, wide open for the upper 2/3, then a few narrow openings through the emerging rock band. I moved to 23 and skied Cornice from that side.

IMG_2887.JPG

The strip coming from the gondola is on its last legs but probably lasted longer than in 2017. There was a skier packed line directly below me that merged into Cornice halfway down. I skied another Climax variation and returned to 23, wondering how to get to Scotty’s. There is no snow at all exiting looker’s right from 23, but I saw this group start at the top of Wipe Out 1 and traverse toward Scotty’s (dead center of pic).

IMG_2895.JPG

Here they are skiing Scotty’s.

IMG_2896.JPG

The big moguls at the Wipe Out 1 entry formed a level platform to put skis on. Here’s the view down on the way to Scotty’s.

IMG_2897.JPG

Snow on Scotty’s about 10AM was excellent corn. Few people were on it today, but enough must have been there on the weekend to prevent suncups. St. Anton was still mostly good with just a little resistance near the bottom.

After a bottom to top gondola and a third Climax run, I skied Drop Out 3 from 23.

IMG_2902.JPG

Snow was good here too but I needed my usual suck wind break in the middle before the lower moguls.

Here’s the overview of chair 23:

IMG_2903.JPG

I moved to chair 3 and walked across the dirt at the top to ski the face, which was in great shape like Scotty’s. I did not take pics as I got yelled at by patrol for crossing that dirt.

I returned to 23 and skied Drop Out 1, then the steep part of Drop Out 3 cutting over to lower Cornice to reach chair 3 at 11:57. Skier’s right of Saddle Bowl was smooth and supportable to the end because the racers had been there until about 10:30. View down Broadway and the Unbound on my last run:

IMG_2904.JPG

I skied the Unbound to the idle base of chair 6 to exit via the management offices. There I found out about the Tioga opening July 22. They did not know about the Red’s Meadow shuttle opening July 21 or the ski area closing date of August 6, both of which were announced a day later.

I skied 19,400 vertical in overall good spring conditions similar to those last two days in 2017. The snowpack two weeks from now is not going to be what it was in 2017, so I would be unlikely to return then for just skiing. But with Tioga now open and the Bluesapalooza music festival (which Liz and I attended two nights in 2017) August 3-6, I am tempted to make one more trip.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like the end is near for Mammoth Endless Winter.

They announced yesterday that August 6th will be the closing day which is one week short of North America’s only 4 season ski area own closing day.

It looks exactly like the Alps after a Sahara sandstorm.
We occasionally hear of desert dust depositions in Utah or Colorado, but rarely in the Sierra which is in the opposite direction from prevailing winds. As the summer wears on, snow anywhere gradually gets dirtier if not groomed or skied.
North America’s only 4 season ski area own closing day.
Patrick e-mailed me about Timberline closing Aug. 13. Hood Meadows had 516 inches snowfall in 2022-23, 113% of normal, so I'm guessing the Northwest also had a warmer and drier than normal spring/early summer.

As of early April, I don't think those expectations about breaking the 1995 closing date record of Aug. 13 or even making it to Labor Day were unreasonable. The patrol site's late March base depth exceeded the previous record by 5 feet and was obvious with the snowpack well above Main Lodge's third floor sundeck. But the dry April, excess thunderstorm rain in June and last week's extreme heat wave have depleted the snowpack much more than in prior big seasons, compared here:
Season
1982-83​
1994-95​
2005-06​
2010-11​
2016-17​
2022-23​
Snowfall
591.25​
540.15​
555.70​
652.50​
619.50​
714.00​
New SWE
73.49​
74.97​
71.51​
73.39​
87.38​
87.07​
Max base March
207​
221​
240​
214​
215​
281.5​
Base end April
206​
155​
175.5​
143​
173​
185​
Base end May
144​
126​
101​
115​
102​
121.5​
Closing date
28-Jul​
13-Aug​
4-Jul​
4-Jul​
6-Aug​
6-Aug​

Mammoth closed July 4 in 2011 as that was the era of high leverage from the 2005 Starwood purchase so Mammoth was watching its cash flow carefully. That summer was also the time Mammoth installed RFID. But this pic from July 31, 2011 leaves little doubt that 2011 might have challenged 1995 for latest closing date.
mmsa_073111-jpg.13471

Last edited:
I added 2006 to the chart above due to it having record April snowfall and spring base depths (the 240 inch max was attained on April 6) similar to some of the other big seasons. This was Patrick's first streak trip for June/July. Coverage around Main Lodge was similar to last week, but there was more up top. Mammoth could have run maybe two more weeks but 2005-06 was the first season of Starwood ownership.

Last edited:
We occasionally hear of desert dust depositions in Utah or Colorado, but rarely in the Sierra which is in the opposite direction from prevailing winds. As the summer wears on, snow anywhere gradually gets dirtier if not groomed or skied.
I wasn't implying that it was due to a sandstorm, just that it looks the same and it's a buzzkill for me. We all have our preferences. Personally, I wouldn't drive five hours in each direction to ski old dirty snow when there's so much mountain biking to be done.

I wouldn't drive five hours in each direction to ski old dirty snow
James is reluctant to drive 5 hours one way to do anything, even in the Alps. The snow and terrain you are actually skiing is more important than what the surroundings look like. This week's skiing was far more interesting than most places in November and early December. I concede the point that the Alps usually surpass the American West in "what the surroundings look like."
when there's so much mountain biking to be done.
One of Mammoth's virtues in this timeframe is that you can ski and mountain bike on the same day, which I have done 3 times. Mountain biking is one of the ski area's significant summer revenue sources and opened over the July 4 holiday weekend this year. James could schedule a Mammoth visit when he can do both, but I'm sure he would be more interested in arranging that combination in Austria.

In northern New England there is a ski season, a summer season, and an unpleasant mud season in between that most people avoid like the plague. A great attraction of Mammoth is that the skiing and summer activity seasons overlap. Most of my trips after mid-June or so have had more hiking, biking, river rafting etc. than skiing. One annoyance this year is that the road openings and access to some summer attractions were so delayed. I will likely return to Mammoth one more time only because those roads are finally opening this weekend.

Liz' situation was another reason this past week's trip was so short and timed when it was. The prior week had more ski terrain open.

Last edited:
All of Mammoth's big years since 2005 have been well documented by TR's with pics here on FTO. The Main Lodge, chair 2 and McCoy station areas had conspicuously deeper snowpacks in early April this year than I have ever seen before. But even then I didn't think that about the top of the mountain, particularly around chair 23.

I have no documentation other than abbreviated notes from 1983 and 1995. I had a mid season injury in 1995 and thus saw Mammoth's late season only over Memorial weekend and on July 15. The notes from 1995 mention skiing Huevos, Hangman's, Varmint's Nest, Paranoid 3 and the backside from the top over Memorial weekend, and Hangman's and Fascination again on July 15. That implies July lower mountain cover equal to this season and top of the mountain better than this season.

In 1983 I skied the beginning of May weekend in 100% winter snow, the May 14-15 weekend in about half winter snow and July 4. That was the first season for chair 23 but it did not run in June so 23's terrain was all suncupped and unskiable by July. It was long ago but I still recall that is it snowed every weekend from January 15 to May 15, making it a frustrating season for weekend warriors with lift closures and ensuing long lines at open chairs. I also recall Upper Dry Creek being completely filled in to the level of the other runs on chair 5, which I have not seen even in the recent big years. The impression of a winter that wouldn't quit is corroborated by the record patrol plot base depths for end of April and May. 1983 was also the only time the late April Eastern Sierra fishing season opener was postponed for a week.

Last edited:
I wasn't implying that it was due to a sandstorm, just that it looks the same and it's a buzzkill for me. We all have our preferences. Personally, I wouldn't drive five hours in each direction to ski old dirty snow when there's so much mountain biking to be done.

The aesthetic might not be the best ever, but slush bumps can be fun. Likely better than most glaciers in Europe this summer. And the highly farmed Palmer Snowfield at Timberline Lodge.

The American West makes one less sensitive to distance. But Mammoth is more worthwhile if you can add a National Park like Yosemite - or other activities.

Telluride can get some red rock dust from strong storms once the Utah deserts heat up from late March onwards. However this is often covered by the accompanying snow. Once in a while the snow does not materialize and the mountain can get a bit nasty.

I am more motivated to ski in May, June or July - than WRODs of October, November and....typically to almost MLK/mid Jan in the Northeast. Lot fewer ops for other activities in early winter/late fall.

I don't think I've had a November or October ski day in 10++ years.

I am more motivated to ski in May, June or July - than WRODs of October, November and....typically to almost MLK/mid Jan in the Northeast.
+1
I don't think I've had a November or October ski day in 10++ years.
I think my standards of "worth skiing" are similar to ChrisC's and Mammoth has met that standard in October or November in 7 of the past 19 seasons. Interestingly, that's about the same percentage of seasons that Mammoth is still running lifts in July. Memorial weekend is "worth skiing" about 90% of seasons.

This is another weekend with 75F temps on the hill and 90+ in the town of Mammoth Lakes. They managed to get chair 1 open, but not the face of 3.

Last edited:
Back