Moonlight Basin Mt.

erb2

Has anyone out there skied the North Summit Snowfield at Moonlight Basin and how tough is the skiing? My family and I are sking there in mid January. We are intermediate/expert skiers?

Thanks, Erb2

The extent of our knowledge is here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=1495 .

The avy gear requirement suggests to me that intermediates would not be comfortable. It's also a 3000+ vertical commitment and my vague impression is that the most difficult section is a below a rollover and not visible from the top.

I talked to the Big Sky marketing rep a couple of weeks ago and he hadn't been in the North Snowfields yet. So it will be a new and adventurous experience for any of us that get to ski it, perhaps on a Euro/Las Lenas scale.

Any more local word of mouth from hamdog?

I haven't skied the north summit snowfield yet ($78 is too damn much for just one extra run), but I have viewed some of the terrain from below and from the summit of Lone Peak. The top part looks to be a steep but fairly wide open bowl that will either be powder heaven or windblown hardpack depending on the weather. The mid portion can be viewed from regular moonlight terrain and there are basically only two skiable lines surrounded by a bunch of cliffs and poorly covered scree slopes. These lines are fairly tight high angle chutes. From the looks of it it probably equivalent to some of the mid difficulty headwaters terrain. The lower portion of the run is regular moonlight terrain and is anything from gladed black diamonds to blue cruisers to the base. If you are truly interested, try skiing Liberty bowl from Big Sky first and then try some of the headwaters hike to terrain at moonlight second. If you like those then talk to the Big Sky patrol about doing the north summit snowfields, you have to check in with them anyway before doing the run.

FYI, if you ski moonlight join the headwaters club. Its free and you $5 bucks off you lift ticket.

Enjoy Montana

erb2 says:
Has anyone out there skied the North Summit Snowfield at Moonlight Basin and how tough is the skiing? My family and I are sking there in mid January. We are intermediate/expert skiers?

i don't know too much about the N summit snowfields other than it's just another new way to get down. :shock: :roll: the snow will most likely be what Swinster says.... windblown or fresh pow. the same goes with the Headwaters terrain though. it'd be a fun line if i got the chance, but i wouldn't expect it to be any more spectacular than the terrain on the Headwaters (probably a little easier), just longer.

i wouldn't call it a family run. my suggesttion would be to hit Hellroaring and 3 Forks chute 1 on the Headwaters before you take them up on the snowfields. intermediates will have difficulty with some sections. this will test thier abilities and determine if they're ready to explore an unknown territory and are capable of navigating around rocks, scree, cliffs, and potential pockets of avalanche slabs, sluffs, car sized chunks of avi debris, and/or death. it's easy to get disoriented up there on a mountain that size. everything starts to look the same. :lol: have fun and be safe!

now, the Dakota's is what i want to open up!

from today's avi advisory:
the Moonlight Basin Ski Patrol used explosives to trigger a large slide off the northwest facing summit snowfields. This too was loaded by the wind and ran 2,000 vertical feet. They also got impressive cracks shooting out from their skis on steep rollovers, another sign that wind slabs are itching to avalanche!

Thanks all for all the expertise. Living in the midwest, and being excited about going to the mountains, we daily look at our trail maps and talk about where we will ski. The dream continues.

erb2

The local advice to give something short but steep and technical a try before a 3000+ vertical commitment is sound. On my first trip to Big Sky Lonnie Ball observed me skiing the Gullies and gave me the OK to try Big Couloir.

Lonnie Ball is a NASJA member and was the guide for advanced skiers at the March 2001 annual meeting at Big Sky. Lonnie is best known for being the first person to ski Corbet's Couloir in the 1960's.

Back