Mt. Rose, NV, Feb. 7, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
On the way from Wyoming to Mammoth, we were graciously invited to stay with Bob and Pat in Reno. They lived full time last season in Big Bear, where we skied with them a couple of times.

With the ongoing dry spell over a month in the Sierra, we limited this stop to one night and one ski day at Mt. Rose. The weather was a big change from Wyoming, sunny and high 45F. Bob and Pat said this was the warmest day of the winter so far. Here they are with Liz in front of the Mt. Rose lodge.

IMG_3555.JPG

Behind the buildings are Mt. Rose groomers at right and some of the Chutes at left.

We first crossed to the Slide Mt. side which gets morning sun. East facing Silver Dollar was already in corn mode by 10:30. But Slide Mt. bends around to north facing Bruce and Bonanza, which still retained winter snow. Most of the Mt. Rose frontside groomers like Northwest Passage were also packed powder.

A little over half of the Chutes were open, and we heard that the ones farthest east had the best snow. I first tried Nightmare, impressively sustained steep, so I skied it fairly defensively in somewhat tight chalk.

Back on the Slide side, Bob and Pat wanted to show us the comfortably spaced trees on either side of Bruce’s: Olympic Trees and Overland Glade. Both of these had smooth chalk and not the bumps I’d expect after a month with no snow. View over Carson Valley from top of Washoe Zephyr before we skied Olympic Trees:

IMG_3574.JPG

Olympic Trees from below:

IMG_3573.JPG

The next Chute I tried with Bob was Beehive.

IMG_3596.JPG

There was a lot of loose snow in here, and several locals came ripping through.

It was now midday so ungroomed east facing had softened. Here are Bob, Liz and Pat on Gold.

IMG_3563.JPG

Next time we dropped into Macho Bowl closer to the lift. Liz drifted back to Gold, still gravitating to the moguls after all those years in the Northeast.

IMG_3581.JPG

Bob followed me down the chair line.

IMG_3585.JPG

We all skied Lakeview down to the Mt. Rose base, where Bob and Pat called it a day while Liz and I took a short break. After a cruise on Ramsey we skied the farthest east Chute Miller Time.

IMG_3604.JPG

Miller Time is the shortest Chute on the map, but its steepest pitch is still sustained for at least 500 vertical.

I also skied Cutthroat Chute on the west side before we finished the day on Kit Carson/Aida. I skied 23,300 vertical.

This day far exceeded expectations considering it had not snowed in 5 weeks. Snow preservation was on a par with Alta/Snowbird and Mammoth. And perhaps there is more soft snow in the Chutes because they don’t see the traffic that steeps at Mammoth and AltaBird do.

I pondered whether there is another area of this medium size with as high a level of overall terrain quality. The one that came to mind was Discovery. As in Discovery’s Limelight terrain, when you see a Chute marked double black, they mean it. And for less expert skiers there’s a good mix of groomers, bumps and well spaced glades.

Sounds like good conditions considering that last measurable snowfall at Mt Rose according to OpenSnow was 25" on 12/27 as the little snow that hit most Tahoe areas 1/5-8 (Sugar Bowl had 2" on 1/5 and 4" on 1/8) did not get to Rose. I've had good days at Rose and at least two days of winds shutting all lifts and two days where we started in sun, above cloud layer that rose into ski area cutting visibility to nearly zero.

Rose stopped running Lakeview chair this season. It would usually run longer on windy days than 6-packs that go to top from both sides. They plan to replace it with a high-speed quad that will go higher on mountain which also will "allow guests access to the Around the World Trail via a new advanced-beginner trial." Their master plan includes adding more advanced beginner/lower intermediate terrain with a skier's bridge and lift that crosses the highway. See https://liftblog.com/2020/04/15/mt-rose-gains-expansion-approval/

I have friend that lives on West Slope of Sierra and another that lives in San Jose and has cabin near Dodge Ridge that have gotten Rose passes. I wouldn't unless I lived (or stayed a lot) in Reno or maybe Incline or Carson City as you'd have to drive past Sugar Bowl, and other Donner Summit areas, and Northstar unless you go through Reno, and share I-80 with traffic going to Palisades, Tahoe, Truckee and Reno. Rose has great terrain and used to stay open late into Spring and have some reasonable priced lift tickets.

A correction for text before your second picture that includes Washoe Lake is that it is located in Washoe Valley. Carson Valley doesn't start until S of Carson City which is located in Eagle Valley.

Last edited:
last measurable snowfall at Mt Rose according to OpenSnow was 25" on 12/27
Six weeks without snow after multiple feet during the atmospheric river -- that's true feast or famine. Tony had impressive conditions all things considered and it looks like nice terrain.

Last edited:
Mt. Rose was the big winner of the Sierra and presumably North America in December with 227 inches snowfall. It's interesting that tseeb mentions the last snow day as Dec. 27 when Mammoth's was Dec. 30.

I pondered whether there is another area of this medium size with as high a level of overall terrain quality.
Certainly not a lot of them (Castle is probably better IMHO). With the chutes open, Rose is the definition of a "little area that rocks" though.

Castle is much bigger in both acreage and vertical than Mt. Rose or Discovery, so sort of in a different class IMHO.

Sugar Bowl with 1500' vertical and 5 Express lifts compares to Mt. Rose, although it is hard to catch it with Summit and Crow's lifts open. While altitude is lower, snowfall is usually higher in storms coming from Pacific (not inside sliders).

I know I've been there one day when Summit was open, maybe two, but I have not been there since they replaced Crow's Nest with fixed quad Crow's Peak. It goes higher and the base is lower and further West. I've skied some of the Crow's terrain in powder from Disney and remember at least once getting too low and having to slog back.

While I've skied all of Mt. Rose Chutes, I've never sked Sugar Bowl's Palisades or The '58 from the top. I do remember cutting into The '58 and dropping into untracked Hidden Gully below there and it was very steep. See http://sugar3.sugarbowl.com/tahoe/1...021_SugarBowlPocketTrailMap_v5_Compressed.pdf for current map.

Castle is much bigger in both acreage and vertical than Mt. Rose or Discovery, so sort of in a different class IMHO.

This is where it's hard to compare or fully categorize these types of things. Remote, not all that much at the base, smallish skier numbers (albeit increasing) and 4 fixed lifts, 3 of them very old. Feels kind of mid-sized to me. Obviously could be among the big resorts if it ever got the visit numbers and developed the base like the big boys. Though I would certainly hope not - I like the current lots of pow runs with the limited lift capacity.

Vs less vert and acreage, but multiple high speed lifts, OK sized metro nearby, etc... for Mt Rose. Both, in their own way, feel mid-sized and not amongst the big resorts.

Yes Sugar Bowl is probably the best comparable to Mt. Rose in the Sierra. My last day there was Feb. 4, 2002 and the report is not very detailed. I'm quite there was no Crow's Peak lift then. My other day there was way back in 1981, warm and very springy after some rain IIRC.

My sample size at Sugar Bowl is both small and long ago so I'm not the best person to compare. Mt. Rose is one of those places I've been fortunate, with my first two days there being big powder days. OTOH I'm perhaps even more impressed how well Mt. Rose held up this year after 5 weeks with no snow. Mt. Rose was also majority winter snow March 28, 2017 when Palisades was in full on spring mode the next day.

I will have to revisit Sugar Bowl sometime, particularly since Liz has never been there.

Last edited:
I don't have many trip reports for Sugar Bowl. Notes I have include:
1/2/2004 36-48" new. Lost 13 year-old son who was in tent while I was looking for him in lodge and at car. $39 Safeway ticket
3/3/2006 No details
4/18/2009 No detail besides I was with my wife and friends who live 60 miles from Sugar Bowl. I sold a ticket for $40
4/1/2010 Free ticket, 5X Summit, quit about 2:30, snowed all day, good powder on East Face of Disney
1/30/2011 Free ticket. Went to Ski Patroller friend's service at Squaw afterwards, then stayed in Reno
3/27/2011 At end of week where Tahoe had 10 feet and we were on way to week at Squaw. I was on $45 ticket from Sierra Avalanche Center and my wife did not ski
4/25/2011 On $25 ticket

4/1/2010

Back