RCR crazy prices!

nic_okcomputer

Hey! Did anyone noticed that a ski day at Fernie is now 72$ which is crazy amount for a destination of that range??? Lake Louise is now also 72$.....i've been to Fernie 2 years ago and i don't recall paying more than 60$....what have changed there to justify such an increase??? At least Lake Louise have a new gondola but Fernie apart from being more and more crowded have nothing new! And there's no way to pay less unlike some great resort in the States....A crazy example of awsome prices for even better chance of powder is Utah.....now there's 3 days at either Alta/Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude for 106$ on Travelocity (it's 35$ per day including taxes AND rountrip bus!!) It's such a great deal....I started to calculate a bit and now it's not that expansive at Silverton compared to those prices in BC and places like Aspen or Vail....Crazy to realize that it's now so much more affordable to travel to US for a Canadian....and airplane tickets are so cheaper to US destinations...and hotel in SLC are so cheaper!
Well it's just two thumbs down for resort of the canadian rockies! they already had lost me with their mont-ste-anne outrageous prices (57$...) and now i have to go to utah for honnest prices....well it's not that bad considering snow quality there! the choice is even easier!
ok, that was my complaint of the week!
cheers!

I often read some rants about RCR, but not sure if they are justified or not.

Just looking at competitor's lift ticket pricing:
Sunshine - 74
Panorama - 67
Whistler - 82

Anywhere, CO - ~80
Tahoe, CA - ~70

The Utah deal you refer to is quite good. However, it is Purchase a 2, 3, 4 or 5 Day Super Pass and receive 1 additional day free offer is valid for bookings made now through December 15th, 2007 for travel during the 2007 - 2008 ski season ONLY.

There are a lot of early season deals out there. The only consistent Utah deals are the following:
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

Overall, I do not think RCR is over-priced, nor crazy. What is worrisome is Fernie +5% for lower-valued US dollar +6% GST tax for US visitors.

I agree with Chris. I got spoiled all those years of dirt cheap Canadian skiing. Even Whistler was a bargain at 67 cents US.

At Par Whistler = Aspen or Vail. RCR = Other Colorado, top areas Tahoe, or Park City group. The latter is the real overpricing with the Cottonwoods just around the corner IMHO, but obviously the market knows than I do about skier demand. The relationships to Canada seem reasonable.

Kirkwood and Fernie are close analogies in many ways: snow, terrain, less than convenient location within ski region. Kirkwood's tickets are $69, $72 on holidays.

The annual check to Chatter Creek for cat skiing is more painful now.

Well, you also have the local Kootenay competition

Red Mt. - 58 C

Big Mt. - 56 US
Schweitzer - 55 US

Fernie looks a little high, but it is generally a better mountain that the others.

havent you folks ever heard of season passes? some of these places are in the 300's. what have you got to lose?

You pay for what you get! Canadian dollar might be a little more now, but the quality is still well worth the increased costs.

Let it snow!!!

Franzman":3nh8yzf2 said:
You pay for what you get! Canadian dollar might be a little more now, but the quality is still well worth the increased costs.

Let it snow!!!

Good luck to you. I assume all these posts are to improve your Google Page Rank vs. actually attracting anyone to have you book everything for them.

Can someone please delete this account?

Just because you don't see the value in skiing in Canada, is no reason to be bitter! And the only person that is stupid is yourself for being so close minded!

Good luck with you! I'm off to rip a line off the peak today!! What are you doing?

Back