Sandia Peak NM Reopens

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Staff member
The most interesting discussion was about Sandia Peak. It had been closed for 3 seasons. Coleman is working on reopening it with strong suppoort from the local community in Albuquerque. It's very mellow terrain of 1,600 vertical and not much more than 100 inches season snowfall. Once again snowmaking will be essential to make the place viable, plus the old chair will need to be replaced by a high speed because it's so long.
Apparently, it opened mid-season, which is great news. While living there in 1990-93, I only downhill skied Sandia Peak once but enjoyed the five-ish miles of nearby cross-country trails numerous times. At only a half hour from Albuquerque, it's a convenient feeder hill, perfect for families, and alternate access via the tramway is unique. Agreed about the need for serious snowmaking and a faster chair. 30 years later, I recall the long lift ride.

sandiapeak_Trail_map-small.jpg

Pix from the SP website:
Sandia Peak Ski Area - Credit Kyle Sawatzke - 2.jpg

The de rigueur Riblet center-pole chair:
Sandia Peak Ski Area - Credit Kyle Sawatzke - 3.jpg

Mellow terrain with long-distance desert vistas:
Sandia Peak Ski Area - Credit Kyle Sawatzke - 1.jpg

Also worth noting for locals from the press release -- "Sandia Peak Ski Area is also introducing a new season pass lineup that’s headlined by MCP’s flagship product, the Power Pass. Power Pass Core guests will enjoy unlimited access to Sandia Peak, Sipapu and Pajarito, with limited access at Purgatory Resort and more."

Although I don't see myself moving back to the Land of Enchantment, I haven't forgotten ABQ's easy access to outdoor activities with the Sandias and Manzanos just on the outskirts of town, and the gorgeous Jemez barely an hour away.

Back