Snowbird, UT 5/15/2005

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Tony Crocker flew through Salt Lake City for a day at Snowbird today. We hooked up with Marc_C, and friends Dale, Pat and Bob Dangerous.

It was a day for (naturally, as you've seen by now) a ton of snow, bluebird skies, and good friends. I quit a bit early, and didn't take a lot of photos. Tony took a bunch -- including a group shot -- and I'm sure that he'll post some when he gets back.

Anyway, I managed to log 16,775 verts. We got a late start, riding our first tram at 9:30. I didn't think that it would get below freezing last night, but it certainly did, as our first run down Mark Malou showed. I think that I might have lost a filling or two on that one. In retrospect, it was a good thing that we hadn't shown up earlier anyway.

We decided to venture a bit lower, and by the time we hit the top of Big Emma it was a bit softer but not quite ready yet. We therefore shot over to the tram and headed up to ski Chip's. We shortcutted the cat track corners on upper Chip's and found snow still not quite there yet, but softer than anything we'd found by that point. A high-speed cruise down the rest of Chip's brought us to the decision point at the Rothman Way cutoff, and by that point I was getting a bit sick of riding the tram and convinced the others to head across to Gadzoom.

All but Bob opted to lap the softer snow on Gadzoom, and Bob headed up to Little Cloud and Great Scott as the rest of us did a high-speed cruise back to the base. Now it was Tony's and my turn to head for the Ho Chi Minh trail in search of something steep and ready as the rest of the crew kept cruising.

We slipped up to the top of Great Scott. We stood there for a few minutes, poking at the vertical side of the cornice with our poles to try to gauge snow softness as we hoped for a guinea pig to show up and dive in. None did, so Tony was the guinea pig. Honestly, the stuff was darned near perfect at that point, and big, steep turns eventually yielded to the gloppier snow on the flats below. We therefore traversed out to the right to get back to the groomed Chip's, and sped down to join all of the others for lunch on the tram plaza. It was getting downright toasty at this point -- it may have been only 60 degrees or so, but it positively felt about 80 in the direct high-altitude sun.

Back at the top of Hidden Peak, Tony had been eyeing the Rock Chute from the tram, and the fact that he'd never seen it skiable before was too much of an enticement for him to ignore. The rest of us skied Regulator Johnson and went back up Little Cloud. The heat of the sun continued to build and the snow was starting to get much heavier. I'd planned to head out to ski a line to skier's left of Jaws, but the heat had obviously given the patrol the willies and they closed the Cirque Traverse gates. From the size of some of the wet slides that came down in-bounds yesterday afternoon after the 2:30 pm closing time, I understand their apprehension. I instead headed back to the base and called it a day as I waited for the others to finish up their day.

There's a ton of snow in them thar hills, and frankly there are rumors starting to float about that Snowbird may open for some weekends beyond their scheduled May 30 closing. They're only unconfirmed rumors at this point, though. Some little things are starting to lend creedence to the rumors, such as Gadzoom running today when it wasn't scheduled to be, the surprise midweek opening for powder days this past week, and even the resumption of the Snowbird Shuttle after it had been shut down for the season. We'll see what happens.

Attachments

• 02 snowbird regulator johnson.jpg
    02 snowbird regulator johnson.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6,015
  • 01 snowbird tram plaza.jpg
    01 snowbird tram plaza.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 5,996
Admin":tx52dk40 said:
The heat of the sun continued to build and the snow was starting to get much heavier. I'd planned to head out to ski a line to skier's left of Jaws, but the heat had obviously given the patrol the willies and they closed the Cirque Traverse gates. From the size of some of the wet slides that came down in-bounds yesterday afternoon after the 2:30 pm closing time, I understand their apprehension.

It seemed that pretty much everything steep with a west aspect went big and was totally unskiable. All of Wilbere Bowl and South Chute; all of the Gad Chutes except perhaps Nirvana. Here's the only pic I took - showing the chunky goodness of the next chute north from Candelabra.

Attachments

• gad_chute_avi.JPG
    gad_chute_avi.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 5,858
Admin":1uk9dlu5 said:
Another 8" forecast for tonight, believe it or not. :shock:

FYI, I heard on the TV news last night that Alta recorded 11" new.

Not a lot to add to Marc's report.

Coverage was the best I've ever seen at Snowbird, and I've been there in 18 different seasons since 1981.

Conditions were what I expected after the big storm Wednesday. Anything off-trail was going to be difficult unless its was skier packed. Great Scott was by far the best run of that nature, though Marc's timing of when we skied it helped a lot. An hour later on Rock Chute the snow was decent but a bit more grabby.

The groomers would get progressively stickier as the day wore on. The only cure for this is salting, which is not allowed in LCC. The "normal" May Snowbird operation confines skiing to Little Cloud, which results in more skier compaction and a more consistent spring ski experience. But this year it just keeps snowing, so I'm not sure when the snow will settle.

marc_crew.JPG

wilbere_slide.JPG

rock_chute_down.JPG

rock_chute_up.JPG

mid_gad_gap.JPG

wow there going to run the gadzoom chair again, are the closing memorial day and just going to stay open as long as they can

"Open Lifts
On Saturday May 21st and Sunday May 22nd, available lifts will include the Tram, Little Cloud, and Gadzoom! Hours are 8am-2:30pm.

After May 22nd, the Tram and Little Cloud lift will be open every Saturday and Sunday from 8am-2:30pm, continuing as long as conditions allow. We will also be open for spring skiing on Memorial Day, May 30th!"

that kinda sounds like we will be open on memorial day but will continue after that if the snow is still good. Thats just my opinion

Yes, they've subtly changed the wording on the snow report that gives a hint of going beyond Memorial Day. Marc_C was saying over dinner that during a season in the mid-90s with a similar snowpack to this year's they went to mid-June, then reopened for July 4.

It will all depend on the weather. Summer arrived with a vengeance this week -- it was 89 in the Salt Lake Valley yesterday. It dropped nearly 10 degrees today (see my report in a separate topic) but will be back up tomorrow, and it's forecast to be sunny, warm and dry all this coming week. While it was around 80 down here in the valley today, it was around 60 on the hill. Barring any inversions or unusual weather phenomena, there's generally a 20-degree difference between the mountain and the valley.

For now, everything still has skiable cover. Wet avalanches, however, are kind of redefining "skiable" in some places, most notably in the Peruvian Cirque and on the Gad Chutes. Once those smooth out naturally, they'll once again be no big deal. There's really nowhere on the mountain that you can't still ski.

Admin":2zhj8k69 said:
Yes, they've subtly changed the wording on the snow report that gives a hint of going beyond Memorial Day.

It's now official. The pertinent part of their 5/22 6:30p snow report update reads:

The mountain is currently closed for skiing, but will reopen this Saturday, May 28th, and remain open through Memorial Day (Monday, May 30th). Available lifts will include the Tram and Little Cloud. Hours are 8am-2:30pm.

After May 30th, the Tram and Little Cloud lift will be open every Saturday and Sunday from 8am-2:30pm, continuing as long as conditions allow.

Back