Treble Cone NZ 9-14-2024

Sbooker

We made the spectacular 20 minute drive from Wanaka to Treble Cone base parking area about 8am.
IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg

Same deal as at Cardrona yesterday. A long drive on an unsealed access road from the base carpark to the main lift and facilities area at 4100 feet. Trail map below.
Only the main lift opened yesterday after the 18 inches of snow the night before so Saddle Basin was untracked. I got a couple of laps of fresh snow but it was a little heavier than the day before at Cardrona.

IMG_0868.jpeg

The snow got really grabby the third lap as the sun was strong. We took a long groomer to the base for a quick coffee break. The views on the way down were lovely.
IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

We went back up to Saddle Basin expecting the heavy snow to be tracked out and compacted by the many snowboarders. It happened to be that way. I lapped the bowl for a few hours while Kylie took the lone groomer to the bottom. It is not dissimilar to the top of Mammoth. (Aside from the top lift finishing at about 6000 feet instead of 11000 of course. Hence the dense snow I guess).

IMG_0883.jpeg

I could lap that one lift/bowl for a week. Really interesting terrain with a nice pitch.

IMG_0869.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

I then opted to do the hike to the summit at the urging of a couple of locals I shared a chair with. I couldn’t turn in the now really heavy snow. Perhaps partly due to my 90mm skis but probably mostly due to a lack of skill. I embarrassingly traversed down.

IMG_0888.jpeg

With spent legs we took a few groomer laps on the main lift. A few random pics below.

IMG_0889.jpeg

Europe eat your heart out.
IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg

Treble Cone is my favourite ski hill on the bottom half of the planet.

Treble Cone is my favourite ski hill on the bottom half of the planet.
No question it's the best lift served in Oceania. Was the frontside still low tide on the more sun exposed skier's right? Under the conditions you had that area was probably best avoided in any case.
(Aside from the top lift finishing at about 6000 feet instead of 11000 of course. Hence the dense snow I guess).
Probably similar dense snow. Mammoth's average water content is 12.9%. You would think it would be less than lower altitude places but it's not mainly because of the wind.

No question it's the best lift served in Oceania. Was the frontside still low tide on the more sun exposed skier's right? Under the conditions you had that area was probably best avoided in any case.
It had been skied off the day before and then partially melted. It was almost coral reef in the morning.
Edit. And under about 1500 metres it was low tide. Only snowmaking made the groomers low down near the base skiable.
Like Thredbo the base facilities at TC are lower than the natural consistent snow line.
Probably similar dense snow. Mammoth's average water content is 12.9%. You would think it would be less than lower altitude places but it's not mainly because of the wind.
I’m trying to think back to what conditions were like in early April at Whistler when we were there about 8 years ago. It’s a more comparable elevation to Treble Cone. I remember skiing in Symphony and Harmony bowls and it being ok.

Last edited:
Big latitude difference. 7,000 at Whistler = 9,000 at Bachelor = 11,000 at Mammoth. Wind strips the more delicate ends of snowflakes and makes the overall snowfall denser. Whistler is not nearly as windy as Mammoth or Bachelor, so the odds are much better for fluffier powder.

Big latitude difference. 7,000 at Whistler = 9,000 at Bachelor = 11,000 at Mammoth. Wind strips the more delicate ends of snowflakes and makes the overall snowfall denser. Whistler is not nearly as windy as Mammoth or Bachelor, so the odds are much better for fluffier powder.
The powder at Bachelor in April 2023 was wonderfully light. We must have got lucky.

Back