Your Favorite Ski Runs

jimk

Here's a challenge: name a few of your favorite individual ski runs you've ever taken in your life. This could be hard to narrow down to just a few. I'm talking about a specific run on a specific day. However, if you've got a favorite run that you've done many times and want to mention it as a collective experience that's ok too. If you have photos to share that's good too. If this has already been done on FTO, then point me to the correct thread.

Here are a few examples from me, in no particular order of favorites. They're all good:p

Snowbird - North Chute:
One fine spring day in 2017 my son Vince, a PSIA L-3 instructor, led me and two other friends down a super steep and beautiful chute at Snowbird, Utah called North Chute. North Chute cuts under the upper section of Snowbird’s aerial tramline near the summit of Hidden Peak. It's steep and bordered by cliffs. The snow was soft and edgeable enough this day that the four of us kicked up plenty of loose sluff as we took turns going down one-at-a-time in single file. Everyone in the group skied it well and safely. Talk about exhilarating! It was one of those runs that evoked mandatory high-fives from all participants upon completion. I've been down it since then, but that first time was really memorable.

North Chute is in the center of this photo, bordered by trees on left and rocky cliffs on right.
1596588867_ffcduuvce.jpg

Bonus photo I took of a friend on that day high up in North Chute:
brian north chute snowbird.png

Crested Butte - Funnel Chute:
In April 2019 I enjoyed another great ski run with my son Vince. It was 1:45 p.m. on a beautiful spring afternoon when we took the High Lift t-bar and saw a bunch of hikers climbing above all lifts to the 12,162-foot peak of Crested Butte, Colorado. We spontaneously decided to join them. It involved perhaps a 300-foot vertical climb that was easy for Vince, but I took it slowly. It was worth the effort. The 360-degree views from the true summit of CB were stupendous in a year when the Rockies were loaded with snow.

After hanging out at the summit for a few minutes, we dropped a pleasant snowfield off the northwest face and followed a somewhat sketchier traverse (Banana High Entrance), passing a bunch of classic chutes on the front/south face of the mountain such as Peel, Banana, and Funnel. We chose Funnel Chute on that run from the summit. It chokes down to a narrow pinch called Deep Throat and there’s a huge rock cliff bordering the entire right side of the chute. Wow, it was a super picturesque run consisting of nearly 3,000 continuous vertical feet of double black diamond terrain.

Dropping the cornice at the true summit of CB:
1724068559471.png

Looking down Funnel Chute at CB:
1596589039_cvsrvcxyz.jpg

Banff-Sunshine - Delirium Dive
One day in late March 2018, again with my son, I took a memorable run down Delirium Dive at Banff-Sunshine in Canada. It requires a short hike to get to the entrance and ski patrol also requires that you wear avi gear (transceiver/probe). My son and a friend tried it first that day. When my son came back he said, "you can do it Dad, no problem." My son had his own avi gear and his friend loaned me his stuff. The sketchiest part of the run was climbing down a set of metal stairs they built to enter the top of the run/bowl. You had to take off your skis and walk a few feet on a rocky, exposed ridge to descend the stairs. If you lost control of your skis or your footing doing this you could be screwed. Once in the run/bowl, it contained some of the softest, deepest, high angle snow I've ever skied.
sunshine delirium entrance late march 2018.png

Delirium Dive from afar, the entrance area is in the center of this photo under the bit of blue sky.
delirium dive from afar march 2018.png

Snowmass - Longshot Glade
Longshot Glade is a long, open, medium angle gladed run that is fun as heck. I've taken it a few times over the years. I led a couple friends down it on an especially pretty blue-sky day in Feb 2022. This run is off the Elk Camp lift and getting to it requires a few hundred yards hike and maybe a climb of 80' of vertical. Not hard, but just enough trouble to make traffic pretty light on Longshot. You can often ski it mostly by yourself and the surface conditions stay quite nice.
Looking up Longshot:
justin feb 2022 longshot glade snowmass.jpg

Looking down Longshot:
jenny longshot feb 2022.jpg

Breckenridge - Zoot Chute:
I did not make my first visit to Breckenridge until 2015. That year I discovered the fun hike-to terrain above the Imperial and Kensho chairs. In February I took a friend on the hike above the Imperial chair to ski the Lake Chutes area, in particular Zoot Chute. The hike was short, but challenging at 13,000' for two 60 year old flat landers. My friend loved it and Zoot Chute was another one of those memorable runs where I high fived a partner when we completed it.
View of semicircular entrance to Zoot Chute:
1637879845_ecrebigegtrg.jpg

My buddy skiing Zoot Chute:
rick zoot chute feb 2015.png

Last edited:
I've done too many steep chutes in nice snow to count probably. I'm thinking of this in a slightly different context; more along the lines of most memorable runs/days that were totally unexpected. I'll have to think about that for a minute (and actually have time for a longer post), but interesting topic. And yes, there will be at least one or two mentions from back east.

Snowbird - North Chute:
A nice run indeed, but needs an above average snowpack. I've skied it I'd guess 5x max despite having 143 days lifetime at Snowbird. First time may have been May 15, 2005:
rock_chute_down-jpg.980

I'm not sure why I thought the name back then was Rock Chute.

Looking down Funnel Chute at CB:
Easy to see why that's on the list. JimK commented when I skied it last March. It's not just the aesthetics; it's very rare for that run to be open and with decent conditions. You have modest low water content snowfall on sustained steep and rocky terrain, plus it's west facing. Therefore it doesn't have the snow preservation of the North Face, so you basically have to be there after 2PM on a warm spring day. I've been to CB 4x. I skied one of those long runs in the Banana/Funnel area in 1992. None of those runs were open in 2001 or 2007, so I felt lucky to ski Funnel and Peel last March.
I did not make my first visit to Breckenridge until 2015.
You did not attend the EpicSki Gathering in 2011? That was my first. I was not motivated to hike to the Lake Chutes because conditions were so good everywhere above tree line with the 13 inches new on the first day there.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of this in a slightly different context; more along the lines of most memorable runs/days that were totally unexpected.
Along those lines, I'd point to a rarity factor, memorable runs not likely to be repeated. Guided way off piste tours with long verticals in the Alps are the first that come to my mind. Take notes, James! In chronological order:

Backside Valluga, St. Anton to Zurs, Jan. 23, 2013:
img_2106-jpg.16605

3,600 vertical, 2,500 in powder

Schwarztor, Zermatt, Feb. 12, 2014:
img_5585-jpg.18759

7,000 vertical, 4,000 in powder

Galtiberg, Engelberg, Jan. 24, 2019:
img_0404-jpg.26375

6,000 vertical, 5,000 in powder.

I was with ChrisC on the Engelberg guided day. In a week or so perhaps he'll enjoy another noteworthy run on my short list, Human Error at Las Lenas, Aug. 31, 2015:
img_2299a-jpg.21285

2,500 vertical, probably 40 degrees upper half, 35 lower half

Last edited:
@jimk I’m glad you mentioned Long Shot. I have great memories of doing that run twice with my wife and then 10 and 12 year old kids one cold and partially snowy January afternoon about 8 years ago. There is definitely a feeling of ‘remoteness’ if that is possible in a ski resort.

When conditions permit (proper coverage that hasn't been scraped down into concrete), I'm a big fan of "valley runs" in the Alps that take you all the way down to the base of ski areas, sometimes 5,000 or more vertical feet. A big favorite is the one at Corvatsch, St. Moritz from Giand d'Alva into town. At "only" 2,600 verts, it's not a monster drop but it has a lot of virtues.

map corvatsch.jpg

No snowmaking the entire way -- the natural cover minimises the concrete factor:
056-jpg.36400

060-jpg.36401

Virtually all of it is an actual trail/piste, not a cat track, with beautiful views of St. Moritz and Silvaplana Lake:
063-jpg.36404

And takes you below treeline:
065-jpg.36406

Where you finally skate past Hotel Kempinski along the main street:
1724322812828-png.42378

Giand d'Alva into town. At "only" 2,600 verts, it's not a monster drop but it has a lot of virtues.
You get another 2,600 verts if you start at the top of Corvatsch with glacier views like this most of the way down:
img_0162-jpg.26271

A short 500 vertical chair links the two 2,600 vertical runs. I'll note that the lower 2,600 had the same excellent snow conditions James mentioned when Liz and I skied it in January 2019. One big reason for that is that there is no lift back up, keeping skier density low. You can walk across the street by the Kempinski to Corviglia's lifts, but you have to take a bus to return to Corvatsch.
I'm a big fan of "valley runs" in the Alps that take you all the way down to the base of ski areas
Not last January you weren't. The reality is that the runs into resort bases are often subject to the toxic combination of crowds and manmade snow. So the run James cites in Corvatsch is unusual in avoiding both of those negatives. So if you put the two together for 5,200 vertical, that's a very long piste combination with high odds of good snow conditions top to bottom.

Last edited:
James' post is worthy of comparison to Fraser's favorite piste in the Alps.
teaserbox_2481675030.jpg

Liz and I skied 5,925 vertical of Aiguille Rouge's possible 6,645 in April 2022. In April the lower half was in spring mode and partially mogulled, but we timed that well in the 3-4PM time range. This is not the core of Les Arcs, but Les Arcs is an "industrial" ski area. Traffic was not excessive, but it's far from the wilderness ambience of Corvatsch.

Fraser's reference above mentions 4 other pistes in the Alps exceeding 2,000 meters vertical. The ones in Zermatt and Les Deux Alpes include some very long flats and Alpe d'Huez' sunny exposure makes lower sections hit or miss. The closest in ambience to James' and Fraser's choices is probably the 4,200 vertical piste in the Parsenn from the top off the Weissfluhgipfel to the Schifel gondola base, which I skied in Jan. 2013.
img_2204-jpg.16656

From there you can ski another 2,000+ vertical down to the villages of Serneus or Kublis, then catch the train to Klosters or Davos.
img_2240-jpg.16667

Last edited:
A short 500 vertical chair links the two 2,600 vertical runs.
You can see me getting nice lightly tracked runs on that south-facing pitch (one of very few at Corvatsch) in my report. A shame that you can't claim the full 5,200 verts as an uninterrupted run.

The reality is that the runs into resort bases are often subject to the toxic combination of crowds and manmade snow.
Yes, unless you're very lucky, most of the high-profile industrial joints have that toxic combination (including Serre Chevalier when we were there); however, when the planets align like at Corvatsch along with lesser-known places without lower-mountain snowmaking like Les Contamines, Kleinwalsertal, Tauplitz, Hinterstoder, Zwölferhorn, Damüls, Evolène, and Klewenalp, long valley runs are a great way to end your day.

Not last January you weren't.
A reminder to those skiing with Tony not to let him browbeat you into something that goes against your better judgement (the hideous valley run into La Daille).

(the hideous valley run into La Daille)
was a mellow cruise in April 2018. I didn't ski it again last January and even downloaded at the end of 2 of the other 3 days.
A shame that you can't claim the full 5,200 verts as an uninterrupted run.
A technicality. That run(s) would have superior snow conditions to all 5 of the long runs Fraser cites in that feature most of the time.

Back