Zimbabwe Side of Victoria Falls, June 13, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We walked less than a mile from the Avani Hotel to the Zambia/Zimbabwe border crossing. It was just a stamp in Zambia, but it costs $30US for a Zimbabwe visa. The actual border is on the bridge.
IMG_5597.JPG

View downstream:
IMG_5585.JPG

This is part of the whitewater rafting in low water.

View up Batoka Gorge to the Falls:
IMG_5587.JPG

The Zimbabwe walk is how nearly all tourists view Victoria Falls, particularly before there was much infrastructure on the Zambian side ~20 years ago. In 2002 I strolled from the Kingdom Hotel in Zimbabwe to the viewing path at 6AM. Now the entire area is fenced off with just this gated entrance where you pay a $50US entry fee.
IMG_5601.JPG

Beyond the gate are some informative exhibits. I loaded these at full resolution so they should be easy to read when enlarged. Geology:
IMG_5602.JPG

History:
IMG_5603.JPG

Zambezi River details and stats from Africa’s 4 major rivers:
IMG_5604.JPG

By comparison, the Mississippi catchment basin is about the same as the Nile’s, but its average discharge of 600,000 cfs is far higher though less than half that of the Congo. The #1 Amazon has twice the Congo’s catchment basin and average discharge of 7.9 million cfs. All of the African rivers have radical seasonal variation in discharge.

Map of Zimbabwe rainforest walk:
IMG_5605.JPG

About 80% of the 1.7km width of the falls faces the Zimbabwe rainforest walk.

Livingstone statue:
IMG_5610.JPG

Devil’s Cataract at the Zimbabwe edge is the low point of the Falls and so always flows in volume.
IMG_5619.JPG

In profile with view into the gorge:
IMG_5611.JPG

Cataract Island is in the center of this view:
IMG_6643.JPG

The fall on the left is a new gorge being slowly cut, very slowly as it’s dry during low water. The geology page estimates that in 10,000 years it will reach the Zambian bank, retreating the falls farther upstream.

Main Falls:
IMG_5640.JPG

Slightly clearer view when the breeze pushed the spray farther east:
IMG_5633.JPG

Zoom:
IMG_5641.JPG

As we move east, view is obscured by the mist.
IMG_6674.JPG

This is the best direct view we got of Livingstone Island.
IMG_6671.JPG

Devil’s Pool is at high volume dead center. Angel’s Pool is the narrow cascade at right.

We are now in a steady rain from the spray.
IMG_6692.JPG

East side of Livingstone Island:
IMG_5661.JPG

Zoom of Angel’s Pool:
IMG_5671.JPG

Horseshoe and Rainbow Falls:
IMG_5667a.JPG

Ovals may be from water spots on the camera.

A cleaner view:
IMG_5666.JPG

I’m now at Danger Point.
IMG_5676.JPG

Same spot in November 2002:
013VicFallsDangerPoint.jpg

One of those lucky shots with wet bird taking off at lower left:
IMG_5679.JPG

Zambian Knife Edge and Batoka Gorge at right.

View into the gorge of the Boiling Pot:
IMG_6695.JPG

This is where the whitewater rafts launch in low water.

Bungee jumper in action as we cross the bridge back to Zambia:
IMG_5708a.JPG

Last edited:
My brother's wife went to Victoria Falls years ago and highly recommended it. She also went on a volunteer trip to South Africa to monitor the wild dog population and other wildlife.

I have gone to two 'Big' waterfalls:
  1. New York - Niagara Falls—2x. It's the North East and especially a New York classic. Maid of the Mist, etc. No matter how touristy it can get, it retains much of its greatness.
  2. Brazil - Iguazu Falls-1x. It's an easy overnight/weekend from Rio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iguazu Falls
After Las Lenas 2005 Adam and I spent two days there and 4 in Rio. In 2005 it was 4x what Liz and I saw at Victoria, very intense. I did not post a report then but the pics are digital so perhaps I should do that.
Niagara Falls
I tried to make the most of my annual Society of Actuaries meetings when I was working. I attended one in Toronto June 21-22, 2001, with Wednesday June 20 allowed for travel. I flew a Tuesday night redeye to Buffalo and spent the morning at Niagara including Maid of the Mist. Then I took an icewine tour at Pelletieri on the Niagara peninsula and drove the rental car to Toronto. For the ensuing weekend I spent all day Saturday at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, then drove back to Buffalo Sunday. Patrick will be pleased to know that I also spent a couple of hours Friday afternoon at the Hockey HOF before leaving Toronto. No vacation days were spent on this trip!

I visited the three 'Big" waterfalls within a relatively short 4+ year time span.

Size and flow rate of Victoria Falls vs. Niagara and Iguazu

Parameters

Victoria Falls

Niagara Falls
Iguazu Falls

Height in meters and feet:[15]

108 m

360 ft

51 m

167 ft

64–82 m

210–269 ft

Width in meters and feet:[15]

1,708 m

5,604 ft

1,203 m

3,947 ft

2,700 m

8,858 ft

Flow rate units (vol/s):

m3/s

cu ft/s

m3/s

cu ft/s

m3/s

cu ft/s

Mean annual flow rate:[15]

Highest recorded flow:[15]

Last edited:
This is so detailed and accurate. I normally see a lot of false information about Victoria Falls (both the waterfalls and the town), but this has to be one of the best pieces. No bias at all. Thank you for this, can I reshare?

Back