2023 University of Colorado Football

EMSC

It was a very busy weekend. I figured at least James will find the location of these pics interesting!
Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured at least James will find the location of these pics interesting
Look at you! I only went to two games while there as an undergrad. They won the championship three years after I graduated.

I watched the game from my brother's in Denver. Incredible comeback but CU was very lucky that CSU had such a boatload of penalties.

I only went to two games while there as an undergrad.
I think I'm now up to 5 CU games in over 24 years here. Planned to go to this game way back in the summer before the somewhat surprise start hyped things up to infinite levels.

CU was very lucky that CSU had such a boatload of penalties.
Yes, but... kind of answer. CSU had that many penalties for a reason... they need a lot of work on discipline. CSU also had exactly one play that worked for them all night: 5yard crossing route that CU for some reason never stopped - terrible by CU to not adjust and stop that singular play. That single play was the only thing that allowed occasional runs, etc.. by CSU. That said, CSU looked like they have the size/guys to be pretty decent if they can figure out the penalties and how to work a bit better as a team. I'd bet the pro scouts will be taking a much longer look at the CSU QB and a couple of their WR's now too.

This is not part of 2023-24 ski season plans, so needs to be split out. BUT it is a huge national story which will get even bigger when CU plays Oregon and USC the next two weeks.

BUT it is a huge national story
It's funny how, in the matter of weeks, Boulder (beautiful and pleasant but without question the least diverse place I've ever lived) has now become hip and happening. I watched part of the 60 Minutes piece and missed if they covered how the whole Deion thing started -- did CU approach him or vice versa? In any case, it's been a masterstroke so far on several levels and I'm curious to see if they can keep up the momentum. That said; they were favored over CSU by three touchdowns and barely made it out alive so we'll soon see how they do against the big boys.

This is not part of 2023-24 ski season plans,
:eusa-think:. I don't know; gearing up for the new season felt pretty 23-24 planning related to me.

the least diverse place I've ever lived
C'mon, Boulder is 1.3% black... The large minority group in Colorado and Boulder is hispanic; though always controversial as to is that an ethnic group or a separate race. By comparison as well, there is >5% Asian minority population in Boulder interestingly.

did CU approach him or vice versa?
Lots of schools over a nearly 2 year period had a chance to interview/hire him but choose not to. CU took the risk thinking that it couldn't be any worse than their prior 15 years, but that the upside on the other hand could be very high.

they were favored over CSU by three touchdowns and barely made it out alive
Will be interesting to see if CSU just played their 'super bowl' for the season, or if they exposed CU's weakness for other teams (crossing routes). It's interesting because CSU considers CU a big rivalry, but not nearly so much consideration by CU to it (CU wins it at a ~3/1 ratio).

:eusa-think:. I don't know; gearing up for the new season felt pretty 23-24 planning related to me.
I wanted to split the story immediately, but I wasn't sure about splitting your post. Then I recalled that James and Harvey had lobbied me into buying a Xenfoto software enhancement a few months ago in order to allow posters to change post dates. That software enhancement also has a change author feature, which I used this morning to split EMSC's post into both topics.

C'mon, Boulder is 1.3% black... The large minority group in Colorado and Boulder is hispanic; though always controversial as to is that an ethnic group or a separate race. By comparison as well, there is >5% Asian minority population in Boulder interestingly.
From afar Boulder has a reputation as a bastion of political correctness, "wokeness," or whatever you want to call it. It's common thread among large state university towns, and most of them are disproportionately white as James noted.

The Asian part is no surprise to me. When Adam was at UC San Diego he said it was about 40% Asian.

Boulder's other reputation from afar is being perhaps the most physical fitness fanatical community in the USA.

Last edited:
James and Harvey had lobbied me into buying a Xenfoto software enhancement a few months ago in order to allow posters to change post dates. That software enhancement also has a change author feature, which I used this morning to split EMSC's post into both topics.
:bow:

Boulder's other reputation from afar is being perhaps the most physical fitness fanatical community in the USA.
Denver/Boulder is always referred to as the slimmest/fittest major region in the country. As an example from my Red Rocks TR from a year ago, it's impressive to see lots of people working out there early on a Sunday morning. While the physical fitness fanaticism hasn't changed; I've noticed in recent years an increasingly heftier sub-population, at least in Denver.

Not enough beef up front on either side of the ball is my biggest take-away.

CU has the majority of skill players they need, but hard to throw completions if the defensive line is in your face as soon as the ball is snapped. That said, how many teams do have a full complement of big and fast OL and DL guys like Oregon? 30-40 teams maybe at college level? I expect something like a 7-5 or 8-4 finish with a couple of crushing losses along the way. Which would still be a massive turn-around compared to not just 1-11, but a really bad 1-11 team from last year.

Sunday was not a good day for football in Colorado either. The Broncos gave up 70 points, the most in an NFL game since 1966. The joke making the rounds this morning is that the team is now known as the _enver Broncos.

The Broncos gave up 70 points, the most in an NFL game since 1966.
That was pretty uncool of the Fish to run up the score like that against the Donkeys. OTOH, Oregon was right to not hit the brakes and send a message to CU after all the hype and bluster.

The 70 points allowed is a complete head scratch. The defense in theory has the slightly better personnel vs offense for Denver. Not world beating defense, but supposedly a touch above average. Either new head coach has changed up the entire scheme from the past few years (and not in a good way obviously), or there have been bigger personnel changes than I seem to be aware of over the past season.

It should be interesting to see how the fish do in Buffalo this next week. Buffalo is my OG team.

Blew 29-0 lead even with announcers trying to help them and lost in double OT. https://www.sfgate.com/collegesport...anford-announcer-unsportsmanlike-18426001.php
Stanford was where I started my retirement job working event security, mostly at football games. I got to see what Christian McCaffrey could do then and once tried to stop now 49er 6’ 7” 280 lb defensive lineman Arik Armstead from saying hello to his former Oregon teammates. I didn’t try too hard.

Looks as bad as David Tyree’s helmet catch during the Giants vs NE Patriots in 2008 Super Bowl. Horrible game.

Back