7 feet at Hunter and counting

kingslug

Just skied 2 days at Hunter mountain and it was the craziest experience I've had in the northeast. A true 7 feet of snow has fallen and its not stopping. The place is buried!! Only had my midfats Volkl ac 40's so it was tough ....real tough as it was over 3 feet deep and almost 4 on the west side. The first day was very heavy and wet, couldn't see for shit, couldn't keep the goggles clean so I skied without them, try that in a blizzard but it was the only way I could see anything. The second day, friday was even more nuts as the whole place was buried and they couldn't even groom anything...so it was all untouched and much lighter powder. Sliding through over 3 feet of this stuff with 82 mm skis was tough but thankfully I get to spend 16 days a year in Utah practicing...well I have fat skis out there but it helps. never seen so many crashes, double ejections, cartwheels etc. people where hucking cliff, jumping fences, getting buried up to their necks, upside down, you name it. Skied open to close and was just wasted. The snow mounds on the side of the road are huge, like driving through a tunnel, reminds me of tahoe. My new Rossi S3's should be waiting for me at my house later...so I'm going back for another 2 days, hitting Plattekill tommorow, Hunter Monday...... now if I could figure out how to resize my pics I could post them...marc????

...... now if I could figure out how to resize my pics I could post them...marc????[/quote]

Open the picture with Microsoft Office Picture Manager...click on Edit Pictures...your options will appear on the right side bar...take it from there and save your resized images...Shanks

rather than spend all that time and effort resizing and saving newly sized pix, you can upload them to an picasaweb or facebook album. Once they are in a web album, right click on the image and go to properties. You can then find the image link and you can use the Img button and copy/paste that link in between the

I find this to be much easier.

Then you also have your pix in a web album to share with others.

kingslug":35hrn1bq said:
now if I could figure out how to resize my pics I could post them...marc????

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7464&p=40497#p40488

Powderqueen":35hrn1bq said:
rather than spend all that time and effort resizing and saving newly sized pix

About 15 seconds per image? Boy, you're an impatient one. That must be like expensive $17.50 car rentals.

Powderqueen":35hrn1bq said:
you can upload them to an picasaweb or facebook album. Once they are in a web album, right click on the image and go to properties. You can then find the image link and you can use the Img button and copy/paste that link in between the

I find this to be much easier.

It's not easier, it's a PITA, and far more time consuming than simply resizing. Beyond that, it slows down the forum page loading because the forum software has to resize large images every time they're displayed, which puts an unnecessary load on the server and is ridiculously inefficient. Ever notice how a page with lots of large images displayed in the posts but hosted elsewhere takes forever to load?

Also, some photo sharing sites don't let you hotlink, which is why some people's posts have "image" displayed where the picture should be. You also have no control over image quality, as many sites reformat images when you upload them.

Faststone Image Viewer is free, is far superior to any native image viewing software in Windows so it's great to have around anyway, and resizes images in a jiffy.

Powderqueen":1a5uaen8 said:
rather than spend all that time and effort resizing and saving newly sized pix
That was my opinion a few years ago when I was sizing each picture individually. But with the current limits all the pictures you want to post can be resized at once in Office Picture Manager and presumably Faststone also.

kingslug":3q2gzw34 said:
Only had my midfats Volkl ac 40's so it was tough ....real tough as it was over 3 feet deep and almost 4 on the west side.
AC40's were what jojo_obrien was skiing on at Mt. Baldy on Sunday. Not nearly so deep, but I suspect there is another issue here. Gravity is your friend in deep snow, and as cement-like as Baldy can be it sure helps when you have a consistent 30 degree pitch to keep you moving. I suspect such pitches are exceedingly rare in the Catskills and thus it's much easier to bog down. The pic Patrick(?) posted of the recently open Slides at Whiteface illustrates the type of terrain you need when there's that much snow.

Tony Crocker":ao8v9l09 said:
kingslug":ao8v9l09 said:
Only had my midfats Volkl ac 40's so it was tough ....real tough as it was over 3 feet deep and almost 4 on the west side.
AC40's were what jojo_obrien was skiing on at Mt. Baldy on Sunday. Not nearly so deep, but I suspect there is another issue here. Gravity is your friend in deep snow, and as cement-like as Baldy can be it sure helps when you have a consistent 30 degree pitch to keep you moving. I suspect such pitches are exceedingly rare in the Catskills and thus it's much easier to bog down. The pic Patrick(?) posted of the recently open Slides at Whiteface illustrates the type of terrain you need when there's that much snow.

The catskills offer plenty of terrain in the 25/30 degree area. I'm not sure but I think the slides are more in the 35-45 degree ballpark. Anyhow, I think the bigger issue was the density of the snow in this last storm. The temps were always hovering around 29-31 and the snow was pretty dense.

rfarren":yjqcfw8b said:
I'm not sure but I think the slides are more in the 35-45 degree ballpark...

Total pitch of the slides - top to bottom is ~ 32°
Part that is considered the headwall is ~35°
Steepest part is ~ 44°

Tony Crocker":1n2tia4g said:
Gravity is your friend in deep snow, and as cement-like as Baldy can be it sure helps when you have a consistent 30 degree pitch to keep you moving. I suspect such pitches are exceedingly rare in the Catskills and thus it's much easier to bog down.
I'm wrong about that earlier 25-30 degree assessment of the catskills. I've been looking up grades of some other trails up in the NE. Cloudspin in Whiteface is 26 degrees and that is the very steepest you'll find in the catskills. Probably the average grade of a black in the catskills is more like 20 degrees or so.

I'm sure you don't need 30 degrees to push through the cement, probably around 22 degrees is enough.

I've been following this thread about all the operations snafus that occurred during the storm cycle:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=73018

I'm scratching my head about why people walked 1.8 miles back to the base instead of hiking back up Way Out. Sheahunter, can you explain? I'm sure that one of those 300 people must have considered the latter option.

I'm sure you don't need 30 degrees to push through the cement, probably around 22 degrees is enough.
I agree, but if the average is 22 there may be some sections under 15 where people will get stuck. There's also a borderline range where you can keep moving but it's a lot more work (inducing fatigue and/or crashes) than if it were steeper.

Hiking up Wayout would have been tough...I don't know if it would be tougher than 1.8 miles though. Glad I wasn't there Saturday!! Oh, Westway at Hunter is pretty steep in the middle. The biggest prob I had was that my skis where too short at 174 and too skinny at 82...but they did a pretty good job once I got going, a lot better than people on much narrower ones. Could have used 140 width in that stuff!! Hell even the boarders where having a hell of a time with it.

sheahunter":yynk0qbo said:
The hike up to Wayout would have been impossible with the deep snow and steep slopes.
Makes sense.

I wonder how you Hunter regulars are going to adjust back from having LCC-deep snow for several days. Everyone who skis there always says "great terrain -- can you imagine how good it'd be with complete coverage?"

jamesdeluxe":2sckmr78 said:
I wonder how you Hunter regulars are going to adjust back from having LCC-deep snow for several days. Everyone who skis there always says "great terrain -- can you imagine how good it'd be with complete coverage?"

Without rain the coverage should be pretty good for a while. It may be tracked through till the next storm, but it should have good surfaces.

Back