Advice on Bruce trail on Mansfield for a first-timer?

pointpeninsula

Hey gang,
I'm going to Stowe March 8-12 for my first visit there (on skis at least - winter backpacked Mansfield and Spruce in 1975, but that's a story for another time).
Anyhow, I've skied alpine for about seven years now, and have probably skied 100 times. I'd consider myself a strong advanced, or maybe just cracking the door open to expert. I have no trouble on any of the steeps or bumps at Killington, enjoy narrow trails (my 40 years of Nordic shows there), and I'm doing some treeskiing, but I'm by no means fast in the woods. I really enjoy the narrow bumpy trails like lower Steilhang at Gore. Loads of wet fresh snow are more tiring than icy groomers, naturally, but I hold my own. I'm not a daredevil, and will certainly resort to side-slipping when necessary. For any of you Western New-Yorkers out there, I skied Quantum Leap at Bristol last Friday. I'm guessing some of Bruce is similar.

I've started tele skiing as well, but for now, I'm more comfortable on challenging terrain in my alpine equipment. This trip will be by full bus, and for space considerations I'll limit myself to one set of equipment, which will be the alpine gear. (Rossi Z9-Ti, if you're interested.)

If the weather conditions are decent, would I be crazy to try Bruce (with a partner), or should I just live vicariously through others reading the posts? For that matter, exactly where is the touring center at the end? We're staying at the Mountain Inn, which is next door to the Nordic Center - is that another name for the same place? If I can do the trail I'll need to get back without a car.

Many thanks for entertaining my questions.
Tom

The Bruce is not really steep, just narrow and twisty. Do it with a partner (or preferably two).

The nordic center and the touring center are the same thing. However, once the Bruce pops out onto the nordic trails, the (mostly) downhill route back to civilization brings you out at the Matterhorn, not the Inn or Nordic Center. You can hop the free town Mountain Road shuttle to get back to the Inn or the alpine ski area.

pointpeninsula":2rqps3lu said:
If the weather conditions are decent, would I be crazy to try Bruce (with a partner), or should I just live vicariously through others reading the posts? For that matter, exactly where is the touring center at the end? (...)If I can do the trail I'll need to get back without a car.

Not at all crazy...

My Spruce to Bruce TR from March 2005.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=878&p=4387

A bit of a haul with Alpine skis to get back. Make sure you know where you are and going once in the Nordic Centre.

Thanks for the reply, guys. I'm feeling much more upbeat after reading that, and great TR, Patrick.

I've got good climbing and skating skills, so I think if I can round up some company, I'll go for it.

One friend I'll be with won't want to go - he hated Castlerock, and I wanted to keep going back for more, so maybe I'll have to ask around when we get there. I'll buttonhole a patroller for some info.

Thanks Again!

Tom

Go for it. The touring trails can pop you out at the Toll House by the double if you take the right combo (requiring a little uphill). There are a number of intersections once on the touring trails but when I did it, I found my way back to the bottom of the double without having prepped by looking at a map (not recommending that, just saying if you have good sense of direction, you are fine). When I did it, it was early season and we forgot to check if the Toll House double was running (oops) but you can always thumb a ride back easy enough.

Well, as luck would have it, we're staying at the Inn at the Mountain (located at the double), so if I make the trip and find the correct way back there, I'm set.

Stowe has the best Nordic maps I've ever seen. Bruce trail is shown coming into the system, and there are topo lines to work with. It looks like there are at least two different ways right to the double that cross a minimum of contour lines.

Thanks, Steve.

Tom

Back