After Movies... MUSIC

Patrick

Okay, the discussion on the great ski movies was going this way. One important element of a good ski movie, is the music.

Music played an important element in my everyday life. Many memories about ski trips includes music.

Here are a few quotes on the relation between skiing and music...

joegm":fzm7scet said:
the music from blizzard.... that group propaganda , althought kind of nutty, had some killer tunes... i like the music from fistful just as much too... fistful and groove turned me on to the music of SEAL... one of the greats for skiing music i think...nothing like " CRAZY " blasting on the earphones cutting through a foot of fresh or even just riding up a lift and looking around at the scenery....

Patrick":fzm7scet said:
I was really into Propaganda, this group probably made one of my favorites 80s album. :shock: "A Secret Wish" , which it wasn't part of the movie. Frankies Goes to Hollywood (in the movie) also bring backs some good memories, driving away from Montreal at 5am to go skiing at Killington, alone on the road with a good skier friend who left for BC a few years later. Other music part of these early K trip would have been Propaganda and The new Smiths album, "Meat is Murder", an another classic.

Admin":fzm7scet said:
just two gung-ho mid-30s buds with a rental car with unlimited mileage (and one of us with waaaaaay too many funk CDs for the drive! :roll: ).

About classic Mapadu reporting set to classic lyrics.
Patrick":fzm7scet said:

From 8-tracks, cassettes, CD and MP3 players in cars on those skiing road trips. From walkman to I-Pods.

What was/is your classic skiing music?

Interesting topic.

For me, it's about the music for the drive to the slopes, not the music on the slopes. Some people can ski with an MP3 player buzzing in their ears, but not me -- I'd rather let the mountain set my rhythm. For me it's about the peace and solitude of striking out away from the crowds, and I'm not one with the mountain unless I let the mountain speak to me.

That said, I suspect that Patrick and I would be throwing the same discs into the car CD player (or picking the same XM radio channels). For me it's varied, anything from the Violent Femmes to Placebo, from Bauhaus to the Cocteau Twins. As for the latter, there were many times driving across northern Vermont or southern Quebec that I'd have the Heaven or Las Vegas CD cranked -- the ethereal wall of sound just fit the situation perfectly. Driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon, Placebo's Sleeping with Ghosts gets my adrenalin pumping appropriately as I stare at the near-vertical rock walls growing above me.

All it takes is a browse around SkiMovies.com to view the movies that I've produced to hear what works for me.

One important element of a good ski movie, is the music.

FALSE! i'll have to disagree with you on this one. personally, i go to movies to watch, not listen. although the music is a nice added touch to some segments, it's not important (unless it's blatently bad). IMO

more about the driving music myself

a certain distribution company contacted a certain well known snowboard shop around here to get some support for the film. the reason for them not wanting to support the film is that they did not feel comfortable with some of the lyrical content. i've watched this movie about 20 times and still have not found any explicit or curse words, so......???

hamdog":2tlqfmd9 said:
One important element of a good ski movie, is the music.

FALSE! i'll have to disagree with you on this one.

I should've said it can contribute to a good movie.

This said some of my favorites movie don't necessarly have the type of music I listen to.

Here is an example:

White Ecstacy (1932?) with Hannes Schneider (available at the NESM). A classic!!!

Legends of American Skiing (documentary on skiing pioneers in the US 1860-1940)

appropriate music in a ski movie is definitely essential. i have watched scenes in which the music did not fit, it actually took away from the skiing because you sit there thinking "what the hell is this crap?" a large reason why i don't like park scenes is not because i don't like watching that type of skiing, but i simply detest most park scene music. a lot of those big descent scenes also use that slamming angsty crapola rock and roll, no thanks. the pits though (man, i seem to be slamming WME in every forum accross the internet lately, :lol: ) are WME films that play tons of pop radio rock and what not. i can almost hear the RIAA execs tossing a few bucks to WME to feature their tunes :roll:

a well chosen track will never 'make' a ski movie or a scene. but it can sure make it better and more connected. whereas a poorly choosen track can completely ruin what is otherwise some unbelievable heroics.

Admin":2plk1xue said:
For me, it's about the music for the drive to the slopes, not the music on the slopes. Some people can ski with an MP3 player buzzing in their ears, but not me -- I'd rather let the mountain set my rhythm. For me it's about the peace and solitude of striking out away from the crowds, and I'm not one with the mountain unless I let the mountain speak to me.

Same for me, I don't think I ever brought my music ON the slopes with me.

More for the drive...especially those many long drive from Montreal.

Here a few of my favorites over the years (to add to those I mentioned earlier):

Some of my ski trip favorites albums (on tape). I have many other favorites, but some have never been part of my ski trip preparations.

Seventies music (mostly listen in my early driving days (1981-1983):

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Yes - Fragile
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (a classic song for the long drive back in the dark from spring skiing trip to Killington - Fly in the Windshield (on the Lamb...). :eek:

Eighties stuff:

Talking Heads - Fear of Music
King Crimson - Disciple
The Smiths, FGTH and Propaganda mentioned above...

More recent stuff :roll: :

The Breeders - The Last Splash
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sex Magic

Even if this is post number 666 for me, no HEAVY METAL is included in my favorites. :twisted:

Mentioned in another program. :shock: :shock: :shock:

J.Spin":3eupisgc said:
Patrick":3eupisgc said:
I know that a few here on liftline share some of my taste in skiing/music. :wink:
You're right, The Cure is actually my favorite band.

jasoncapecod":3eupisgc said:
i guess i'm the only 45yr old still listening to 70's and 80's hard rock.. :roll:

jamesdeluxe":3eupisgc said:
To each his/her own.

I'm still shocked to learn (in another thread) that Patrick likes the lameoid 80s group The Cure.

Now, what IS James's music taste??? :twisted:

I'm with admin and Patrick as far as listening on the slopes. I've done it maybe 3 or 4 times lifetime, and usually at someplace like Big Bear.

As for the rest of the discussion, let's just say I'm feeling my age. I started listening to popular music regularly in 1962, and few of my purchased albums/DC's go past mid-1980's. I did not have an iPod until late 2006. I've added a scattered amount of newer music to it, but not much overlap with what I read here.

I hope Patrick didn't suffer too much with the meager collection of 7 or 8 CD's I brought along on that Montana-Wyoming trip. For 2007 and later road trips I now have a much wider (but undoubtedly still retro by the tastes of FTO) selection on the iPod.

Tony Crocker":thew3i68 said:
I did not have an iPod until late 2006.

Well, Morgane has one, but not me. :roll:

Tony Crocker":thew3i68 said:
I hope Patrick didn't suffer too much with the meager collection of 7 or 8 CD's I brought along on that Montana-Wyoming trip.

Not at all, I mentioned to James in another discussion that I had a large taste in music. I recall you had The Who's Who's Next which would fall into my favorites. There were a few others that I liked and probably owned at home in your CD case for that trip.

jasoncapecod":thew3i68 said:
you just kicked over a hornets nest :lol:

Awfully quiet!!! :shock: Was that nest empty??? :lol: 8-[ :lol:

Note to self: if traveling with Tony, bring Archos!

Age has nothing to do with it. Marc_C is your age and guess who was at the Breeders show with me...

I'm a musician, but I find I hardly use my ipod on the mountain, or in the subway for that matter. I find talk radio much more fun for driving. The reason: when I listen to music, I'm actively listening. I might get into an accident if I find myself listening. For some reason I can't seem to relegate music to the background, even if it is mediocre. I don't use the Ipod on the slopes, and don't understand why people do that. The best part about the mountain is either being with friends, or just being in the mountains. I don't find that music enhances skiing because you aren't focusing on being with friends or embracing being in the mountains! Besides, in twenty years we are going to have a whole generation of people with tinitus going deaf because of the ipod.

In ski movies I've seen I liked the music of G love and special sauce.

I definitely save the iPod for the drive. Don't want to get sick of my limited library. In the mountains we listen to NPR...constant weather updates. Never get to hear cartalk as it's at 10am on Sat.

Although I know it's akln to not wearing a seatbelt or worse, I use the iPod for my daily bike ride. It get's me through the drudge when it is really hot.

Don't need tunes to ski...it's pure pleasure on it's own. Plus the guy with tunes can't easily pick up a ski partner when skiing solo.

Thanks for the YouTube link, Sharon. Great video and music. I can't help but laugh when I see at the clothes they were wearing along with the long skinny skis and rear entry boots. Those were the days when men WERE men, and not using "fat boy" skis to ski powder.

I like how there was nobody on the mountain! Three people had alta all to themselves. Just ridiculous!

Back