Aspen 3.26

rfarren

Skied highlands and Aspen today. Started with Highlands and hiked to the top of the bowl. Went down the front face and it was wonderful! Aspen mountain was where we went in the afternoon as our legs were pretty beat up. It too was wonderful. I think the terrain in this part of Colorado is better than what is found in Vail and Summit counties. There are steeper and more interesting lines here. The added bonus is the great town.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191629.178366.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191629.178366.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6,511
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191650.992780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191650.992780.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,511
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191669.548974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191669.548974.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6,515
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191686.390119.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191686.390119.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6,507
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191703.762604.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191703.762604.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 6,503
More photos: one of these is me prepping for a hike.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191845.810154.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191845.810154.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6,510
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191856.614938.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301191856.614938.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6,508
rfarren":he852mly said:
Started with Highlands and hiked to the top of the bowl.
Hopefully not too painful as you've been in Colorado a week. I hope to follow suit at the end of my Colorado week on April 10.

even if the lodging is for free,$100 dollar lift ticket is disgusting, for that price they need to throw in lunch and massage..

rfarren was at Vail close to a week, so he probably got an advance ticket package like I'll have (6 days for $408) from 4/3-4/8. For one day at Aspen I'm sure he had to pay up though, as I will at the end of my week.

Tony Crocker":1tpt83y9 said:
rfarren was at Vail close to a week, so he probably got an advance ticket package like I'll have (6 days for $408) from 4/3-4/8. For one day at Aspen I'm sure he had to pay up though, as I will at the end of my week.
The most I paid for a lift ticket this past week was $80. I could have skied Stowe for the same price.

Tony Crocker":18qw1264 said:
rfarren":18qw1264 said:
Started with Highlands and hiked to the top of the bowl.
Hopefully not too painful as you've been in Colorado a week. I hope to follow suit at the end of my Colorado week on April 10.
The Lange world cup 130s didn't help. I wanted to crack a few jokes to my friend but I was sucking wind pretty hard. It was totally worth it for the untracked lines of knee deep. I also had warmed up on a bunch of bc hikes earlier in the week at Vail and beaver creek. Nonetheless that is a hard hike.

jasoncapecod":3gfae6so said:
even if the lodging is for free,$100 dollar lift ticket is disgusting, for that price they need to throw in lunch and massage..

With a happy ending.

jasoncapecod":1jdivxk2 said:
Only gaper visitors are unable to figure out how to get discounted tix and pay the full rate.
Besides, even without a discount, Vail at $100 is still a better deal than Stowe at $89 or MRG at $65. They're just not in the same league at all.

jasoncapecod":3ow82xid said:
Why do you have to drag the East into it... ](*,) :roll:
rfarren was the one who said he didn't spend more than $80 for a ticket and that Stowe would have cost more. You were the one whining about the $100 Aspen ticket. I offered an opinion about the relative value of the Aspen ticket compared to, not the entirety of the East, just two areas many are familiar with. Don't get all butthurt when someone who has skied at all three areas feels that Stowe and MRG are overrated.

Marc_C":143102sn said:
jasoncapecod":143102sn said:
Why do you have to drag the East into it... ](*,) :roll:
Don't get all butthurt when someone who has skied at all three areas feels that Stowe and MRG are overrated.

It's an area that charges $100 lift tickets that are overrated. Although I think Stowe is one of the best Eastern area (my fav with the Loaf), I seldom go, because I don't think it's worth the premium price to ski it. [-( Oh yeah, I forgot, you're the guy that liked the idea of heated chairlifts. :roll:

Look at a list of lift ticket across the World and look who's at the top of the list. There are some amazing places not at the top that I would rather ski at.

MRG at $39 midweek, that is a good deal, even for the unemployed or people with too much time on their hands.

Patrick":2upj98h7 said:
It's an area that charges $100 lift tickets that are overrated.
With the exception of Snowmass I would have to disagree. Highlands and Ajax IMHO are far better than what I was lead to believe. When you consider that the town was great, and there was very little competition for powder I would say those mountains are underrated.

rfarren":1vw3n3d0 said:
Patrick":1vw3n3d0 said:
It's an area that charges $100 lift tickets that are overrated.
With the exception of Snowmass I would have to disagree. Highlands and Ajax IMHO are far better than what I was lead to believe. When you consider that the town was great, and there was very little competition for powder I would say those mountains are underrated.

You're a man of many travels Rob, don't tell me that some places that are charging $100 are better than some places elsewhere in the World. I didn't say the skiing wasn't good (even underrated), but the question should be is it overprice for what you're getting? There isn't a straight Yes or No answer to that question. I haven't been to Colorado (well not really), but is it worth more (pricewise percentage) in quality than Utah or elsewhere in the World?

rfarren":1jlfhxio said:
Highlands and Ajax IMHO are far better than what I was lead to believe.

And yet I still give Ajax a big giant "Meh"... Highlands is worth it, just not Ajax IMO...

EMSC":1fnbafoo said:
rfarren":1fnbafoo said:
Highlands and Ajax IMHO are far better than what I was lead to believe.

And yet I still give Ajax a big giant "Meh"... Highlands is worth it, just not Ajax IMO...
I disagree on that one. It has lots of steeps off the ridges and plenty of lines. My plan of attack for my next visit will be to hit highlands in the morning and swing by Ajax around 2:00 for some great cruisers and many tree lines. I think those two mountains offer the best terrain I've seen in colorado with very few exceptions. The best part about Ajax is skiing right into town at the end of the day.

Patrick":3c4ou028 said:
is it overprice for what you're getting? There isn't a straight Yes or No answer to that question. I haven't been to Colorado (well not really), but is it worth more (pricewise percentage) in quality than Utah or elsewhere in the World?
It is worth it IMO. Compared to Utah you have far less competition for fresh lines with an awesome mountain town. Highlands bowl is one of the great lines in North America, especially on a blue bird powder day. The views alone are worth the hike. I don't look at the skiing experience as the only factor for a trip. Sure the lift tix are cheaper at many bigger places in Europe with real towns at the base, but the lodging, food, exchange rate etc isn't. As far as an experience Aspen offers a lot for not that much if done right: airfare $5, lodging $70, food maybe $55... Btw I thought the skiing was great!

Back