BC Heli/Cat Operations 2023/24

K3 Catski gave a Facebook update. This year, they would try to do 100% multi-day lodge tours and no more day skiing - when I reached out in June. Did not happen, but single days are a lot fewer since they added a second lodge.

1702921029695.png

I wonder if there is a large transition in the customer base where current generation is aging out and they now need to discount to younger generation for a while to get them hooked?
A casual browse through a few of the CMH operations shows the core of the season fairly solidly booked, just a few single seats available there and there.

My theory is that the Calgary/Vancouver locals scoop up these lower priced December seats in most years where there is abundant November snow. This year they are holding off so there's more pushing by the operators to fill seats.

My vague impression was that CMH and Wiegele in the 1980's were very solidly booked. There were only two cat operations, Great Northern and Selkirk Wilderness, both small and somewhat under the radar. Island Lake opened in 1988 and it was the first cat operator to get much press. But then in the late 1990's and early 2000's British Columbia opened tenures to numerous new snowcat operations plus new heli operators like Mica, Great Canadian and Last Frontier.

It was fairly easy to get bookings at the newer places in that era a few months ahead. I had little trouble moving around through most of the 2000's. I settled into Chatter Creek for 2007-2010, but I also skied Wiegele in 2006 and 2007, and coming out of the financial crisis I scored discounted seats at Mustang and Island Lake in late Jan/early Feb. 2010. Even in 2012 I got first time visit prime dates at Baldface and White Grizzly, and my second and third trips to Mustang were on different dates that I chose in the previous fall.

2013 was the first time I was told by Mustang that I needed to reserve the same dates for the following year when I was checking out. By 2013 I believe most tenures that were practical for cat/heli skiing in B.C. had been claimed, and those that were well run had attracted a enough of a following to be operating at least 75% on repeat business. I think K3's lodge operation is one of the last operators even in the wrap up phase of the "development" stage.

So overall I think B.C. cat/heli is a mature industry with a fixed supply, which is much less than the demand during the reliable part of the season. As for that demand, remember that the 1980's were before powder skis. Since the mid to late 1990's, there are a whole lot more amateurs such as myself who can handle cat/heli skiing comfortably.

Last edited:
My theory is that the Calgary/Vancouver locals scoop up these discounted December seats in most years where there is abundant November snow. This year they are holding off so there's more pushing by the operators to fill seats.

There are a lot of January openings that were not available this summer.

I contacted almost every Heli and Cat operation in Canada in June 2023 for anything in January 2024 - for 2-3 persons. Rejected by almost everyone and placed on waiting lists.

Why I went to Portillo Chile, planned Europe and Alaska.

Magically, everyone now has January dates. This is not just random scheduling conflicts for sickness, other events, etc. I think some people might be bailing due to conditions. And yes - lucky locals are not stepping up.

Anyway, I'm fine with how things worked out - epic Chile skiing, looking good for Val d'Isere, and Alaska is setting some records.

But dumb-dumb had to fill out a form to see if you could really ski CMH Galena for $800 USD/day - heli, lodging and meals.

1702958122705.png

I've never made a practice of monitoring multiple places on a regular basis. Neither Mustang nor CMH Galena are offering any January dates right now. Monashee Powder is offering 2, 3 or 4 seats on 3 mid-January tours.

Last edited:
Mustang is discounting a seat starting this Saturday a modest 8%. The good old days of 2010 are ancient history.

There are a lot of January openings that were not available this summer.

I contacted almost every Heli and Cat operation in Canada in June 2023 for anything in January 2024 - for 2-3 persons. Rejected by almost everyone and placed on waiting lists.

Why I went to Portillo Chile, planned Europe and Alaska.

Magically, everyone now has January dates. This is not just random scheduling conflicts for sickness, other events, etc. I think some people might be bailing due to conditions. And yes - lucky locals are not stepping up.

Anyway, I'm fine with how things worked out - epic Chile skiing, looking good for Val d'Isere, and Alaska is setting some records.

But dumb-dumb had to fill out a form to see if you could really ski CMH Galena for $800 USD/day - heli, lodging and meals.

View attachment 38267
Prices for cat skiing have ballooned in the last 2 years and are far outpacing income. That combined with other increases in cost of living could be having an impact on this kind of discretionary spending. Mustang small group steep chutes is up to $2000/day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices for cat skiing have ballooned in the last 2 years and are far outpacing income.
Per day prices I paid Mustang in $CDN for 3-day tour in prime season, Jan. 19 - Mar. 11 in 2023 and Jan. 20 - Mar. 3 in 2024:
2013: $900
2015: $1000
2016: $1100
2017: $1150
2018: $1250
2019: $1350
2020: $1450

For 2023 the price is $1750, continuing the typical $100/year increase. However the price is going to $1900 for 2024.

Prime season 3 days tours per day prices in 2023 are $1450 at Monashee and $1400 at Chatter Creek. Island Lake, with very upscale lodging and dining, is $2200.

Last edited:
Per day prices I paid Mustang in $CDN for 3-day tour in prime season, Jan. 19 - Mar. 11 in 2023 and Jan. 20 - Mar. 3 in 2024:
2013: $900
2015: $1000
2016: $1100
2017: $1150
2018: $1250
2019: $1350
2020: $1450

For 2024 the price is $1750, continuing the typical $100/year increase. However the price is going to $1900 for 2025.

Prime season 3 days tours per day prices in 2023 are $1450 at Monashee and $1400 at Chatter Creek. Island Lake, with very upscale lodging and dining, is $2200.
Mustang started charging $350 per night now for room and board +$1650 per day for the skiing. Room and board was previously part of the daily rate. Small groups/steep chutes is now a total of $6400 for 3 days/nights. (Taxes all in). This was an increase of $200 more per day, before tax, over the prior year.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a few of the invoices that split the skiing from room and board but at the end of my tenure in 2019 and 2020 the price was combined. The total price whether split or not consistently increased $100 per year. Prices over the decade I skied Mustang have increased on a consistent basis more than overall inflation though I do not see an acceleration of those price increases recently. From 2020 to 2024 the per day price increased $300 in 4 years but Mustang was closed completely during the 2020-21 COVID season so I'm guessing the people who reserved 2020-21 got rolled to the next year with no price increase.

As for current pricing I'm taking it direct from Mustang's website for 2023-24 and a drop screen under "Availability" for 2024-25. Mustang may be $300 more a day than most of the other places but you're usually getting at least 25% more skiing.

Last edited:
That means it’s also a trip over the Christmas holiday. Only a limited group of people can pick that up last minute.

Someone here will have to step up and do what's necessary to post some December stoke. I can only do so much on my own.
That's because you went to Europe; the rest of us are stuck here for awhile. There was some very localized stoke on Christmas Day:
Steamboat122423.png

Joe Gratz has commented in the past about localized "Steamboat Surprises," of which this was a good example. Storm total was 27 inches and no one else in Colorado got more than 13.

Last edited:
This is the best Eldora stoke I can muster for you right now... (lots of early am training days for the racers ongoing over the holidays so no chance to hit, say Steamboat).
20231227_100042.jpg

I don't go out to Telluride at Christmas anymore.

My brother makes 30-40% of his revenue in those 2 weeks.

There are out the door 6-7am to 10pm. And all friends in town.

They havve service to provide at all hours - and some prominent people.

Although Chelsea Handler’s request for pot…. Is a step too many.

I am still seeing some prime dates at Stellar, Eagle Pass, Etc

If Eagle Pass Heli needs to post this, you know they are seeing more than usual drop off

IMG_2841.jpeg

Back