Beaver Creek, CO, March 25, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The predicted snow Sunday night delivered, with Beaver Creek being the big winner of the northern mountains with 14 inches. Thus we went there rather than Vail which only got 8. Weather remained overcast and unsettled, and with the pace of a big powder day picture taking was limited, mainly when I needed a “suck wind” break.

This is the scenario where it was worth paying the $50 to park in the Ford garage at Beaver Creek’s base so we were in line 10 minutes before opening. Thus we skied Upper Centennial/Buckboard’s 2,200 vertical untracked to start the day. Paul led us next to the Rose Bowl lift where we scored a couple of deep laps on Cataract.

We rode Cinch to the top and skied Goshawk. This is a long run so I needed a stop and took some pic of Paul:
IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

Followed by Liz:
IMG_5695.JPG

Next were two Grouse laps on Screech Around. Paul, then Liz by one of the tree islands:
IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

Liz on the last pitch before runout to Grouse:
IMG_5716.JPG

We needed a lunch break at Talon’s at noon. Then we took one more Grouse run on Raven/Lower Osprey, still finding mostly powder turns on its middle half. Ten we took one more run On Birds Of Prey: Upper Peregrine to Lower Golden Eagle. After a short Moonshine diversion on the way to the base we planned to take a cruiser or two in Bachelor Gulch. That became one as we were lured by some remaining powder in the trees near Overshot.

We skied President Ford’s back to the main base in time for cookies. It was a 3 cookie day in both literal and figurative senses. We skied 24,800 vertical and the 13K of powder was the most lift serviced I have skied in a day since 2018.

In pic #1 those look like powder baskets on the poles. I've been getting guff for skiing with small, racer style pole baskets this year for the first time I can recall. I do use backcountry, adjustable poles with powder basket in certain circumstances, but never felt my baskets limited me otherwise. Anyone else?

In pic #1 those look like powder baskets on the poles
That reminds me of a Paul talking point during the Harald Harb/PSIA arguments on Epicski back then. He refused to use fat skis on powder days, saying that he wanted to ski IN the snow, not float on top of it. Has he maintained that POV?

For what it's worth, more often than not I'm on my 82s in powder too -- not a conscious choice but rather because I usually only bring one set of skis on destination trips and I'm too cheap/can't be bothered to rent fat skis.

Paul’s daily drivers are 78 underfoot and his powder day skis 94. Mine are 98 and 112.

Paul’s choices strike me as appropriate due to:
1) His skill level
2) Due to living all his life in Colorado and thus being a strong bump skier, the 78s are a good choice for the majority of his ski days.

Paul’s poles are bamboo, made by a company in Steamboat. He likes them for swing weight and says yes they are durable. I used Justin’s bamboo poles Monday because one of mine broke late Sunday. After skiing yesterday I bought new carbon poles on late season sale at Vail.

Last edited:
Paul’s choices strike me as appropriate due to:
1) His skill level
2) Due to living all his life in Colorado and thus being a strong bump skier, the 78s are a good choice for the majority of his ski days.
Of course, he could ski whatever he wants effectively. My point was that back then, starting with Shane McConkey's Volant Spatula, everyone was switching to wide boards so when he made that comment about preferring skinny skis in deep powder, it was funny to watch most of the Epicski collective flip their wigs. As mentioned, it seemed to be part of the Harb vs. PSIA ski instruction war (apparently still going in the late 2010s).

In any case, Paul was so passionate about it, I bought three Harb books. Equipped with my new hip, I'm going to re-read them and watch some of his videos in time for next season. Can't hurt.

preferring skinny skis in deep powder
I used to also very much prefer skinny skis in powder (specifically I used to use my SL race skis until ~10 years ago!), but now am on what I think of as mid-Fat. For harder snow ski days I have 88mm under foot that can do OK off groomers and carve the groomers pretty decently, but for soft snow days and powder days I'm on 100mm underfoot with a fair bit of rocker as well.

I used to also very much prefer skinny skis in powder (specifically I used to use my SL race skis until ~10 years ago!)
While rereading the Bob Peters interview recently, I thought about him guiding in the JH backcountry on typical skis back then. Did having ultra long boards provide any additional float to counteract how skinny they were?

I remember getting a used pair of 2000-vintage Chubbs (88-width?) and thinking how incredibly wide they were. :icon-biggrin:

1711722650491.jpeg

They've been serving ably as the feet of my ski chair for the past decade:
1711722443427.jpeg

Last edited:
Back