Cannon 12/16,Bretton Woods 12/16,Attitash 12/16

NHpowderhound

Posted: 16 Dec 2005, 7:14 PM Post subject: Cannon 12/16, Bretton Woods 12/16, Attitash 12/16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Road trip!
Holy crap,what a day!
Cannon:
The drive up through Franconia Notch was amazing! The wind actually blew the back of my truck loose from the road and almost spun me out! I made it to the Peabody lot and was a bit dissapointed that there wasn't a whole lot of fresh snow and it looked like it was winding down with actual breaks in the clouds. I booted up at the truck and headed for the Peabody Express which I couldnt belive was running.A VERY windy ride up. At one point I was actually nervous the wind would rip my Fats off my feet it was that windy :shock: ! Extremely gusty! I was surprised how warm it was considering the wind. I reasoned that the Zoomer chair would offer a bit more protestion so I headed downhill. Conditions were mostly a mix of dense POW, PPWD & windscoured. Not bad but not great. Zoomer was pretty good. However the ride up the Zoomer chair was still scary. This time the wind hit you in the back and would push the chair up so it would feel like it may tip backwards and spill it's occupants :shock: . I know it wouldnt but that's the sensation I got. I took a couple more runs down Zoomer when it started to sleet and r@!n pretty hard. At that point I made the choice to make the drive to...
Bretton Woods:
The drive up Rt.3 was just as if not more of a whiteknuckle ride than Franc's Notch :shock: ! Trees and limbs were scattered all over the road and the r@!n had turned back into snow. Whiteout conditions were pretty common as the wind would create a ground blizzard.
I made it to Bretton Woods which boasts "Wind is not a factor at Bretton Woods! Wind has affected lift operation only 4 out of 3969 days." Well tomorow I better see that figure changed to "5 out of 3970 days". Was pretty dissapointed to see that Cannon would be spinning those two lifts and BW couldnt spin thiers. I couldnt really blame them as i stood in the baselodge with the 10 other patrons there that day and watched the wind dial on the wall gust from 40mph to 70mph :shock: ! So I asked myself,"NHPH, do you think it's a good idea to skin alone to the top of Bretton Woods in 70mph winds to ski untracked powder? Of course it is!" :D
I skinned up to the West Bowl area taking a very liesurely pace up some beginner trails and saw only one ski patroller putting up rope. He bareley gave me a look. Cool! That must mean he wont see me duck the rope into Glade West 8) !
Cover was deep but the super dense quality of the almost knee deep powder I found made for VERY slow going. I pretty much had to straightline the whole damn run,polling downhill for much of it too. Oh well it was still a nice tour.
By the time I got back to the base area the wind had dramattically died down yet the lifts werent spinning . I went inside and observed 10mph winds with gust to 25mph. I looked around and I was the only patron around. It was obvious they werent going to open the hill for just me so off I went to ...
Attitash
Free ski day at Attitash today :D ! How could I drive by a free day at Attitash with it snowing out! I pulled into the lot around 2:30 and got to the lift about 2:50. It looked like most people were packing it in for the day! Bye bye! I took three big GS runs and called it a day.
Sorry, no pics this trip.
I'll be sore tomorrow.
((*
*))NHPH

Great report. I was at Bretton Woods on one of those 5 days when it closed. If I recall right it was day #4. The wind was crazy, they told everone not to ski near the woods or in the woods :lol: and I am surprised they stayed open for even 1/2 the day. Eventually on the learning hill a girl fell and got pinned underneath a tree that fell at the same time. The tree was supporting itself by a few branches, which if they had not been there, the girl wouldn't be either. They eventually got here out. Had she been say a foot forward or something she may no longer be with it. Amazing and good job to the ski-patrol or whoever got her out!

eatsleepski wrote
The wind was crazy, they told everone not to ski near the woods or in the woods and I am surprised they stayed open for even 1/2 the day
The trails were covered with all sizes of tree carnage. Wher I was skinning up I stayed in the middle of the trail as much as I could. I did ski through Glade West though, and there were 3 trees down inside it, each blocking about 90% of the trail.
What a great day, I'm still buzzed about it! 8)
((*
*))NHPH

:eek:

Wow...that what I call dedication. =D>

I though Frank was the only one crazy enough to ski 3 different areas in a single day. :lol:

Wow! Quite the odessey! Glad someone got out to "enjoy" it. I was stuck at work dealling with the usual (just more of it.)

I'm surprised Cannon opened. BW doesn't surprise me.

now there's a story to tell your grandkids!

thanks for the feedback about cannon too. i planned on trying that place out for the first time next friday. r@!n? well, looks like i need to sharpen my edges. how much more snow is needed to hit the tramline? (open or not. just skiable).

Tramline wil need at least 5' of snow on it. The regular trails at Mittersill should get going pretty quick now but I wouldnt go jumping into any glades quite yet. We need a couple more storms and things should get real good.
Hamdog, how long are you out east for?
((*
*))NHPH

i'll be stuck back there for 10 days over the holiday's. i think i'll be solo on friday too, but have to leave early (2ish) to get back for an evening in Boston. i saw that they're shooting to get the top open for next weekend. i'd like to take a ride on the tram, so i hope that is the case. it may just be a groomer day, but i think i'll get my speed fix in. if anyone would like to meet up then give a holla.

Hamdog, It's killing me that I normally have fridays off and cant give ya a personal tour ,but working in the retail industry(yes,even retail food) this time of year makes for certain unbreakable obligations at work. I'll have the next two wednedays & saturdays off instead of fri/sat..
Did you /are you bringing your split :wink: ?Not much this time of year but still an adventure to be had :D .
((*
*))NHPH

NHPH,
no split. not enough snow for that. not for me anyways. plus, i'd rather not haul it through the airports along with my regular gear. i'll keep in mind the wednesday's and saturday's though.

hamdog":23r95ncl said:
NHPH,
no split. not enough snow for that. not for me anyways. plus, i'd rather not haul it through the airports along with my regular gear. i'll keep in mind the wednesday's and saturday's though.
:shock:
as someone that has been hiking since october out here, i would argue the best snow at the ends of the seasons can only be reached by hiking. otherwise, far far far too much competition snd limited terrain open. ne foot of fresh is more than enough for some touring out here!

will there be 3'? that's my rule with taking out my split. otherwise, i'm on slowshoes. i don't have those....... and for good reason. :wink:

Back