Crested Butte, CO, Mar. 21, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
After skiing Snowbasin we met former Admin for sushi diner, then spent the night in Spanish Fork. On Wednesday we drove 6 hours to Gunnison with quick stop at the overlook of Black Canyon.
IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

This has been a spring week in Colorado as well as Utah, but with the much higher altitude than northern Utah I expected more winter conditions. However the frontside of Crested Butte faces west and the base area was still bulletproof when we got on the hill about 10:20.

Exiting Silver Queen we saw this sign.
IMG_5550.JPG

The High Lift is a surface lift and a part in its braking mechanism broke, causing it to slide backwards about 50 feet. With less than 2 weeks remaining in CB’s season, locals suspect that Vail will not expedite getting that part and it will wait until next year.

We skied 4 cruisers on Paradise, which was all winter snow being groomed and north facing. Despite being the obvious place to be on the mountain in the morning Paradise never ran much over a 5 minute lift line. Below Paradise is East River, where the snow softened pleasantly by 11AM.

Liz took a fourth lap on East River while I took a first lap through North Face, then brought Liz for a second.
IMG_5558.JPG

We exited via the highest exit traverse under the Paradise lift. I did not realize until later that Easy Out was a wider trail one layer lower. Navigation and route finding is the key feature of the entire North Face area. At the top of its T-bar is this map of part of the area.
IMG_5579a.JPG

Next time I wanted to find the Spellbound/Phoenix area. I started down the Schofield Road and soon saw the sign for Spellbound pointing to a traverse track into the woods. The traverse had several step up sections, and in retrospect I should probably have taken my skis off..

In 2001 I had traversed into Phoenix with Adam, but this was the first time I’ve been at the top of Spellbound.
IMG_5563.JPG

Dead center of the pic is a flat spot on the far side where I saw a few skiers traverse, presumably to High Nowhere. I started out that way, saw the traverse round a corner and drop off with huge rock on immediate right. I exercised discretion and skied Upper Spellbound.
IMG_5565.JPG

After that pitch I could look back to skiers in High Nowhere.
IMG_5567.JPG

During the next section I paused to watch a couple more skiers.
IMG_5573.JPG

View up from bottom of Spellbound:
IMG_5574.JPG

I’m far from done. View back up from halfway down Phoenix:
IMG_5577.JPG

Final pitch:
IMG_5578.JPG

Spellbound plus Phoenix is 1,400 vertical in at least 4 layers plus numerous variations. From the bottom is a road leading gradually uphill to the Black Eagle trail and East River. But after a just a couple minutes walk uphill, there’s traverse track to Black Eagle.

On my final North Face lap I traversed across it to Hawksnest, then Last Steep here:
IMG_5582.JPG

This also requires a short bootpack up to Black Eagle. From that trail you can see through the trees to both Hawksnest and Last Steep.
IMG_5589.JPG

The North Face T-bar closes 3PM, but after that is when you want to ski Crested Butte’s other noteworthy expert terrain, the Banana/Funnel sector. West facing, they are subject to severe melt freeze and I had skied only one of these runs on my first visit in 1992. The entire sector was closed in 2001 and 2007.

So after a cruise to the base on Keystone I rode Silver Queen and traversed past several other lines to Funnel. View down Funnel from the top:
IMG_5600.JPG

About 2/3 of the way down the constricted moguls pass this rock.
IMG_5601.JPG

View up Funnel from below:
IMG_5602.JPG

This is a long way from the base area and it’s easy to overshoot. I was lucky to see a skier make a sharp right not far below me where I followed a traverse track eventually leading to a long catwalk to the base.

Thursday was 22,000 vertical of quite fascinating skiing. This was a fairly ideal day for skiing CB’s technical terrain. North Face runs were nearly all winter snow yet you need a warm clear day for the Banana/Funnel sector. Entries and rollovers on the North Face nearly all have rocks to avoid, even with CB at 112% of average snowfall as of March 16. Thus I don’t think fresh powder or bad visibility are particularly desirable on that terrain.

Last edited:
Not sure which storm it came in on, but note the brown desert dust layer this year (8th pic down mentioning High Nowhere). Noticing lots of it here in Aspen areas too.

I do not think that pic was desert dust. It’s an open south facing area that was getting beat up by the sun and thin. I didn’t see that color anywhere on the hill with decent snow preservation.

I do not think that pic was desert dust.
I have the opposite opinion obviously. It's a buried layer on well preserved N slopes. That face I mentioned in the pic is S facing and has melted off down to the dust layer. Once the dust is on top it stays on top as the snow melts and in fact makes the snow there melt faster than normal.

Here in Aspen area you mostly will see it on some moguls as a thin brown line partway down the mogul trough - up high. But it is mixed into the snow pretty good down low in areas at Highlands and say bottom parts of Village lift at Snowmass. Makes you think it's mud or dirt from a thin base, but actually brown dust from whenever that storm hit.

I have the opposite opinion obviously. It's a buried layer on well preserved N slopes. That face I mentioned in the pic is S facing and has melted off down to the dust layer. Once the dust is on top it stays on top as the snow melts and in fact makes the snow there melt faster than normal.
I can see that logic. When do you think the dust storm happened? I have the vague impression that spring is the most common season in both Sahara/Alps and US Southwest.

I visited Crested Butte twice in 2019 for 2-3 days each time. It was a good snow year there and I loved the place. I too skied Funnel Chute and here's what I thought about it at the time:
"Vince and I would eventually ski most of the black diamond chutes on the front face below the summit, but for our run from the hike-to true summit of Crested Butte we took the traverse all the way to Funnel. Funnel chute chokes down to a narrow area called Deep Throat and there’s a huge rock cliff that borders the entire right side of the run. This will stand as one of the most memorable runs of my ski career and consisted of nearly 3000 continuous vertical feet of double black diamond terrain." This is my photo of it, but I think I like yours even better Tony!
1711680377786.jpeg

Bonus shot, after a ~15 minute hike my son dropping the cornice from the true summit, Funnel is well to the left and out of view:
1711680491473.jpeg

any pics from dinner w/ the former Admin ?
You never have to guess what Guido currently looks like given how much screen time he gets on his Grand Adventure channel. I wish that he would update the interactive episode map, which I find helpful (similar to the inoperational FTO ski map that Tony and I spent so much time updating) but perhaps with 352 episodes, it would look like a huge mass of red dots.

There's a note that this year Marc and Patricia are finally going to address the noticeable Grand Adventure blank spot: the northeastern U.S. and eastern Canada. Perhaps I'll see them when they boondock through New Jersey. For the record, a lot of the aptly-named Garden State is rural and populated by MAGA denizens so he'll feel right at home!
:icon-biggrin:

Back