EC Closing Dates 2011

Patrick":33lamd2i said:
but not working on May 1st.
My schedule is all open for May, so... :popcorn:

see you at the king of spring on may 1st patrick!

need a loaf trip soon!

haven't ridden my @ss on a chair in months.......

rog

icelanticskier":13bqnzd0 said:
Patrick":13bqnzd0 said:
but not working on May 1st.
My schedule is all open for May, so... :popcorn:

see you at the king of spring on may 1st patrick!

I should have said my May weekends, working on Saturday April 30 and probably working 12 hours on May 2, so Loaf isn't going to happen until the following weekend for me.

Too crazy a daytrip to Loaf from Ottawa on a one day weekend. I did a Ottawa daytrip to MRG last Saturday and I was lucky that I wasn't the only driver getting back. 8-[ I was pretty hard getting up on Sunday morning to get to work. There are a couple of places for my May skiing in the East, especially after a 1-2 ski days in April. Okay, it's time for me to leave work.

rfarren":3ghu1n79 said:
If you would like some recommendations on food etc... let me know.
Evidently I'm not the only one on FTO familiar with Patrick's eating habits. :lol:

The Bell and Hunter are done after today, they had said they might open next weekend, but both mountains have fully decided to call it a year.

riverc0il":sbby8ykr said:
I emailed Smuggs and the response says Madonna closes after Saturday this weekend and they'll have Sterling only for Sunday. Seems kinda weird, no? They didn't say that this Sunday was their last day but based on the response, I think it is safe to assume this is it for Smuggs.

Smuggs will be open daily until April 17th but yes, today (sunday) was the last day for Madonna

Great skiing there yesterday with a killer tailgate party

Not time to look, but Tremblant decided not to add an extra weather due to the forecast (it's =1c in Ottawa right now with chances of rain/snow). So Tremblant is official done for the season.

Camp Fortune aren't opening this weekend due to the forecast, but might open Easter weekend (see website).

Heard on the radio that 25cm is forecast for the Charlevoix.

A few of them are closed midweek, please check them out.

East to West...and North to South... in the East.

Mont Miller QC
Val D'Irène QC
Mont Comi QC
Massif QC
Mont Ste-Anne QC
Massif du Sud QC
Mont Sutton QC
Owl's Head QC (according to weather)
Mont St-Sauveur QC (according to weather)
Camp Fortune QC: (maybe reopening for Easter weekend)

Sunday River ME
Sugarloaf ME

Wildcat NH

Jay VT
Sugarbush VT
Killington VT

SUGARLOAF CLOSING MAY 15TH. STILL TOP TO BOTTOM WALL TO WALL COVER WITH 134 OUT OF 138 TRAILS AND GLADES OPEN. DEEP BASES IN THE WOODS.

rog

Both the closing date and the high percent open as of April 20 are much above historical average for Sugarloaf. Probably due more to fewer rain/thaw events than to high snowfall. Sugarloaf was one of the areas where I used to track in-season snowfall via SnoCountry. Unfortunately SnoCountry removed that info this season, but I'll get the official Sugarloaf data sometime in May.

Hopefully a few more of you easterners will take advantage of this and not throw in the towel on skiing just because it's late April. If you want areas to stay open longer, you need to support them with your ski $.

Tony Crocker":13zcr6i3 said:
Hopefully a few more of you easterners will take advantage of this and not throw in the towel on skiing just because it's late April. If you want areas to stay open longer, you need to support them with your ski $.
Won't happen if the general feeling is that ski season is over by the second week of April and it's time to start the annual "Season Total Days" thread.

Marc_C":28wtz2bu said:
Tony Crocker":28wtz2bu said:
Won't happen if the general feeling is that ski season is over by the second week of April and it's time to start the annual "Season Total Days" thread.
It won't happen because the vast majority of ski areas are closed. I can only think of a few that are open right now, Killington being the closest to me (a paltry 3 3/4 hours from me). I think the Rockies would be better when we consider the relationship of time to reach the mountain vs. quality of terrain at this point of the season, although around now the cost is much cheaper to ski and stay at places on the EC(because of discounted ticket prices and lodging). That being said, I think if the mountains were open solely on the basis of the amount of snow the EC would be where it's at right now for me. It's a shame it takes more time to drive to sugarloaf from NYC than it takes to get to Chamonix.

From NYC I agree rfarren can get to Denver or SLC a lot easier than Sugarloaf. But it's a reasonable weekend trip for the New Englanders and maybe parts of Quebec as well.

Marc_C":1pog3397 said:
I appreciate how much power you repeatedly ascribe to my thread, but it's just a list of places that people have skied, and doesn't dissuade anyone who's truly motivated to go for late-season turns. If I weren't on crutches and Sugarloaf were within three hours of where I lived, I'd certainly go, as would many others I know.

Heh, and this is the guy who accuses ME of having my panties in a bunch.

James you must be all powerfull if ski areas close because of you. Most years in early April there is nothing open within 4hrs of The pops of Pa and NY. I skied without missing a wk from Dec 1st to April 10 and still would be going if the ride was less than 3hrs. The places I ski start thinning after the Presidents week. I enjoy your post. Get well soon and see you in the Catskill hopefully late November.

jamesdeluxe":1v7bb22t said:
Marc_C":1v7bb22t said:
I appreciate how much power you repeatedly ascribe to my thread, but it's just a list of places that people have skied, and doesn't dissuade anyone who's truly motivated to go for late-season turns.
What? You really don't know? The *entire ski world*, industry and skiers alike, assiduously keeps careful and intense watch on this board and the minute your ski day count post appears, everyone says "That's it! Ski season is over!". Resorts close almost immediately except for a few contrarians and 99% of all skiers put their skis away and haul out the golf clubs and mtn bikes.

You must be very careful about this. With great power comes great responsibility.

Back