Europe 24/25

Most of these areas must not be reliable because 50 of them are currently closed on March 13. 18 of the 21 that are open are in Wallis, including the three I have skied.

Most of these areas must not be reliable because 50 of them are currently closed on March 13. 18 of the 21 that are open are in Wallis, including the three I have skied.
I don't know the snowfall or even elevation stats but unrestricted visits for the season, even if there are only a handful of decent hills, has to be attractive.

Edit. Wallis is Valais? I've not heard of Wallis and can't find it when searching.

Yes Wallis is Valais. It's a relatively unusual region in that the mom-and-pop hills are at fairly high altitude. That is why we spent the first quarter of this year's Alps trip there.

Last edited:
Believe it or not my annual guys group is considering Europe for next season (20th annual trip).

As you know, roughly half the group is intermediate to single black level trails and half is expert. There's been so much discussion on these boards and I am terrible at figuring out which is in which region or etc... Throw me some ideas on likely good snow no matter what (eg higher elevation), plenty of terrain and views to impress the crowd, but also with some options for both easy/safe simple off piste here and there and/or guided for the experts.

Now to convince most of the east coasters they need to spend more than 3 days on the ground...

The group tends to be fixated on one region/place once selected, locking in airfare, lodging, etc.. usually by sometime in Nov/Dec.

Also looks like quite the bubble of Euro school vacations for a longer than normal stretch of weeks next winter per the other thread.

I immediately think of TWO - maybe three places: St. Anton (Arlberg), Val d'Isere/Tignes, or Meribel (3 Vallees).
Do not do Zermatt.

Would I return to Val d'Isere if I did not think it was one of the best?

So, What am I thinking?

1. Zurich. St. Anton - train - no cars!

There are so many trains every hour. Just get on a train and make it to St. Anton. It's amazing afterward.

2. Geneva - Val d'Isere or Meribel

I think St. Anton gets better snow, but if it snows in Val d'Ivoire/Meribel/Val Thorens, you have it for a week.

But I am starting to understand Val d'Isere better. I now know a bit.

Last edited:
Magic Pass. I’ve read about some of the ski areas on this pass on this forum. Seems incredible value to me.
With my ski season done and a few more weeks until I'm cleared for mountain biking and golf, I finally finished the Alps trip-report map that I'd started many moons ago. It underscored that in addition to the ski areas in Valais/Wallis that Tony and I have enjoyed, the Magic Pass would be useful for two lower-elevation regions in western Switzerland that I've been tracking for more than a decade but never managed to visit: the Fribourg Alps and Vaud.

Including on-mountain rescue insurance and illness reimbursement, the cost is CHF 431 (approx $480 US). Magic Pass is one of a few 2024-25 scenarios that I'm gaming out for a possible month-long visit up through the February school holidays. The price goes up significantly on April 9 so that'll hopefully motivate me to make a decision by then. :icon-cool:

In the meantime, check out the convincing trip reports from Alpinforum. Not the type of places that you'd schedule for a short destination trip booked months in advance, but definitely worthwhile if I can pick and choose my days across several weeks in early mid-season.

Fribourg Alps (red oval)

Vaud (black oval)

Freiburger Alpen.jpg

I think St. Anton gets better snow, but if it snows in Val d'Ivoire/Meribel/Val Thorens, you have it for a week.
St. Anton probably gets MORE snow. But it has bad exposure and mediocre elevation range. So if EMSC's group is going in our usual time frame late January before school holidays, it's probably the best choice. But if the trip is after the school holidays in March, no. With advance committing in Nov/Dec. for March, you have to choose a place with high altitude and decent amount of north exposure.

Not the type of places that you'd schedule for a short destination trip booked months in advance, but definitely worthwhile if I can pick and choose my days across several weeks in early mid-season.
Recall I went through that list and 50 of places were already closed mid-March. A lot of seasons like this one you'll be using that pass nearly all in Wallis/Valais because most of the other places are low altitude. We all have our eyes on some of the lower places. One of these years it will work out, but I wouldn't want to be committed to them in advance.

I understand from a business perspective why it's a seasonal route but such a shame that United's Newark/Nice nonstop only starts at the end of the Maritime Alps ski season. :icon-mad:

1711198914172.png

Back