Good early skiing in the Canadian Rockies

cbraisby

The 3 areas of Banff have been open since Nov 1st and other resorts like Kicking Horse and Red Mountain are 'snowed in' at present. Kicking Horse has reported the largest snowfalls in its history. The resort opens this weekend.
In the interior all the Cat skiing and Heli Skiing operations are in for a great season. Check out Mike Wiegle and CMH the biggest operators in the World.

If anyone would like any news about skiing here in Canada please feel free to email me.

Chris Braisby (ISIA) BA Hons.
Founder, the SKI COACH Training Tool (http://www.theskicoach.com)

Chris,
Any news on what might be happening at Baldface? We have a bunch of guys heading there over MLK weekend (around Jan 15).
I'm not too worried as the storm track has definately been favoring the northern areas...
Just curious.

Sounds like an ad, but I've already seen clear evidence in the record early openings of Sunshine's Delirium Dive and Goat's Eye, and also that Kicking Horse has recieved 138 inches of snow at a location that averages 256 for the whole season.

This is highly ironic for a region that usually suffers during El Nino seasons. Meanwhile supposedly favored Mammoth's November snow total is 5 inches.

Should the expected El Nino effects take hold over the rest of the winter, this region would on average get 15% less snow than normal. But with the great November the season as a whole would probably still be above average.

Tony,
It seems whenever a pattern gets established, it's tough to break. Witness the drought of '77 and in the PNW two seasons ago. I'm thinking that we'll continue to see above average snowfall here in the northern areas at least until mid-January. Howard Scheckter (The Dweebs) in Mammoth is hinting at the same scenario. That's when the westerlies are supposed to "break through", at least down there.

schubwa":2r11uqmw said:
Chris,
Any news on what might be happening at Baldface? We have a bunch of guys heading there over MLK weekend (around Jan 15).
I'm not too worried as the storm track has definately been favoring the northern areas...
Just curious.

Hi, as far as I know they have a stack of snow already and I believe they opend a week early. If you are going in January you don't have to worry there is usually plently of snow by then anyway.

I personally havn't skied Baldface but lots of Canadians head out there. It has a good reputation here in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Back