Grand Targhee, WY Opening Day 11/22/13

snowave

The wife and I packed up and moved from Leavenworth, WA to Alta, WY this summer... very excited to have Targhee as my home mountain 8 miles away. So far, we (wife and I) love Teton Valley and the surrounding area. I have only ridden here once, on a trip to Jackson about 13 yrs ago.

It's been a good fall here along the west slope of the Tetons... 98" YTD snowfall, with a 48" snow depth at Chief Joesph Bowl. Opening day was probably the best I've ever had in 22 yrs of riding. Yeah, I've had a couple great storm powder days at Mammoth on opening day, but not bluebird like this and such good snow. It was a crisp 9 degrees when I left the house, but with no wind and bright sunny skies, it I overdressed for the day...I forgot how a sunny, windless day at elevation in this part of the country can feel so much warmer than it is.

We got about 9" of fresh the day before, and it rode very nicely. All lifts and about 98% of the in bounds terrain were open. I never hit bottom once, well except when I was traversing around the back and Grand Teton came into view and I forgot to pay attention and ran over a few rocks. #-o

Pretty good crowd at the lift for opening at 9AM...several hundred I would guess.... the Avy Gun and a roar of cheers went off... as they loaded first chair. I got my first run in about 15 min or so later. The rest of the day, I never waited more than a few chairs to get on any lift.

My first run was great.. it's been a while since I've been able to ride powder, but I didn't feel any worse for wear. Unfortunately, I didn't have my season pass clipped on my jacket yet, since I was wearing a jacket I never usually wear... and left it in my OPEN pocket. I got to the bottom and in line realized it was gone. I walked over to the season pass office and the line was at least 50 deep... the guest host standing at the end of the line saw my flustered face, and after I told him my story, he handed me a day ticket and told me to go enjoy the powder before it's gone, and come back later to get a new pass... I thought that was pretty cool. I got a new pass later, no charge and no wait... only a few laughs.

All in all, a great few hours before my legs were screaming, and the powder was tracked, so I went home and sat in the hot tub with a beer. I've got a nice case of powder leg still... but I plan to get back out on the hill tomorrow.

Targhee may not be the steepest hill in the world, but it looks like a real fun mountain (with obviously great snow) to call home.

If anyone comes over this way from Jackson to ride the Ghee for the day, gimme a holler and we'll do some runs together.

Here's some various Iphone pics I snapped of the terrain and other conditions throughout the morning. Sorry, no action shots.

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

Thanks... yeah, WA was nice, but too many damn trees and clouds, I was getting claustrophobic last winter! 8-[

It's a tough life you have there. Targhee was likely much busier than usual because of the Jackson locals there because their hill isn't open yet. Bob Peters posted a report of this day also.

Even by Targhee's stellar standards of early season reliability, that's a great opening. It is average 68% open on December 1, probably rivaled only by Wolf Creek for the highest such percentage in North America.

One of my favorite places on the planet, the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Watch our forecasts as you are in the same storm track.
Buena suerte!

Targhee is an awesome place! Had some good days there years ago when my friend was the Mountain Manager and I have family in Driggs.

Thanks for posting. Living in the Northeast, it is somewhat discouraging when opening day at Targhee in November looks better than an epic day in February at most New England resorts.

Wow it thought it was going to be a 'few' pics, lol. Looks super crowded for Targhee.

I guess JH needs to get open to appease the Jackson locals.

Looks great. I too need to make my way back there some year...

yeah, I got a little carried away with pics, sorry. :-D

True about the Jackson peeps coming over.. several people I chatted with on the lifts were from Jackson.. although, one lady moved from Leavenworth, WA to Driggs the same time this summer that we moved here from Leavenworth... that was bizzare.

The weather patterns I've noticed here so far are quite interesting. While the predominant storm track to this point has been from the NW, we've also gotten a few systems coming in from the SW... and also some dropping down from almost due north. With my decent weather knowledge, I suspect the location of this region is open to multiple storm tracks ... and could be one reason why the snowfall quantity is so reliable.... however, the moist NW flow really seems to be the best to get the snow machine going at Targhee. Would be interesting to get your input on that, Tony...

And yes, I know I'm very lucky to be able to live here!

No special knowledge on the meteorology, but the NW flow is what's best for the region in general. And probably no surprise that Targhee's ability to wring some snow out of diverse patterns would contribute to its consistency.

Snowave, Thanks for the post. Hope you will post more from Targhee as the winter proceeds. I was seriously thinking of visiting your area in a few weeks, but it looks like something else will take precedent. Did you do this relocation as a retiree or are you still a weekend ski warrior with a real job during the week? Curious about the availability and cost of housing/living on that side of the Tetons for buyers and seasonal renters.

Hi Jim,

My wife is a partner in her own company, and works from home... so we moved solely because we wanted to be here in this amazing part of the country. I had the luxury to quit my job (that I was getting fried on), and am spending my time doing volunteer work (and other things) until I figure out what I want to do when I grow up. :-D

As far as the housing situation here, I've only been here full time since August... but it seems to me to still be fairly affordable...The big housing bust the last 10 yrs hit this area very hard...(as in other places as well) but it's slowly starting to recover... home sales are quite plentiful, although rentals are a little bit tougher to come by... at least for what we wanted. We got VERY lucky finding an affordable house in Alta. If you do a search for realtors or check Craigslist for this area, you can obviously get a good idea what stuff is going for around the valley.

Utilities and other items (gas, groceries, etc) are a little above avg compared to alot of other places... but not outrageous by any means.

Hope this helps.. feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, and I'll try to answer.

Back