Help coming out West

sheahunter

I have been given a free pass by the wife to go anywhere this coming weekend. Where are the storms lined up for the 3rd, 4th and 5th?

Look at it this way: you want a destination that's at or near full operation, you're short on time so you want close by airport access, and you want to keep cost to a minimum, right?

:-k That's a tough one... :lol:

We'll be well over 130 inches YTD by tomorrow, and it's skiing exceptionally well here. About the only downside is that for a guy like you I haven't seen a single bump yet this season, just too much snow and terrain and not enough people.

You have only 3 days. Do you want to chew up a lot of that time getting from the gateway airport to wherever you're skiing? Thus admin's advice. You could go to Reno or Denver and get to resorts that have also had a lot of early snow in slightly more time. Anywhere else you're probably looking at connecting flights and/or much more driving.

In terms of weather it looks like the storm track in your time frame will be mostly in the PNW/Northern Rockies. http://coolwx.com/ptype/
But most of those places do not have as much base or open terrain as the Sierra, Utah and Front Range Colorado from the earlier storms. The ones that do, Mt. Bachelor and Jackson/Targhee, have impractical logistics for a 3 day trip coming from the East.

Powder is an unrealistic expectation within a short and constrained time frame. You should be grateful for the epic start so many places have had. Last year it would not have been worthwhile to fly anywhere in the West except Whistler this early.

A big storm is approaching the PNW tonight, and the forecast calls for cold temps and continued showers all week. My home ski area (Crystal Mt) is fully operational. With the added 1-2 feet expected in the next few days, it should be a good storm cycle. Check it out at www.skicrystal.com.

Is anyone else suddenly finding that SLC is REALLY expensive to fly to?

For all of the reasons stated above, I prefer SLC for a long-weekend ski trip. Delta's pricing, however, is now making me seriously consider other destinations for the first time in more than a decade.

Last night, on a whim, I ran an Orbitz search for direct flights from MSP to SLC for the coming weekend: $956. :evil:

Tickets for mid-winter direct flights are in the $415 to $500+ range. Thank you, Delta.

I can fly to SLC though Denver for hundreds less, but for the time that wastes, I might as well simply fly to Denver for even less.

flyover":p55z1rg7 said:

Yes, but it's all about timing. I'm finding similar prices to get my kid home next month, but a few weeks ago I got my mother PVD-SLC for ~$120 each way on Southwest in the Dec./Jan. timeframe.

flyover":1ppphzsk said:

For all of the reasons stated above, I prefer SLC for a long-weekend ski trip. Delta's pricing, however, is now making me seriously consider other destinations for the first time in more than a decade.

Last night, on a whim, I ran an Orbitz search for direct flights from MSP to SLC for the coming weekend: $956. :evil:

Tickets for mid-winter direct flights are in the $415 to $500+ range. Thank you, Delta.

I can fly to SLC though Denver for hundreds less, but for the time that wastes, I might as well simply fly to Denver for even less.
According to Kayak.com you can do it for $287 this Friday evening with a 44 minute layover in Denver:

Depart – Fri Dec 3 2010
Frontier
Flight 115 Departs: 7:20p
Minneapolis St Paul (MSP) Arrives: 8:26p
Denver Inter­national (DEN)
Coach | Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 06m
Layover in Denver, CO (DEN) for 0h 44m
Frontier
Flight 589 Departs: 9:10p
Denver Inter­national (DEN) Arrives: 10:35p
Salt Lake City (SLC)
Coach | Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 1h 25m

Return – Sun Dec 5 2010
Frontier
Flight 580 Departs: 5:05p
Salt Lake City (SLC) Arrives: 6:30p
Layover in Denver, CO (DEN) for 1h 25m
Frontier
Flight 108 Departs: 7:55p
Denver Inter­national (DEN) Arrives: 10:45p
Minneapolis St Paul (MSP)
Coach | Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 1h 50m

sheahunter":1uj3f26m said:
$474 nonstop from NY or $386 with one stop. They are a little pricey.
I got mine 3 weeks back for around $250, but it's even less because I had 1 ticket comped by Amex so the ppp was $125ish.

Marc_C":nujmsx86 said:
According to Kayak.com you can do it for $287 this Friday evening with a 44 minute layover in Denver:

Depart – Fri Dec 3 2010
Frontier
Flight 115 Departs: 7:20p
Minneapolis St Paul (MSP) Arrives: 8:26p
Coach | Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 2h 06m
Layover in Denver, CO (DEN) for 0h 44m
Frontier
Flight 589 Departs: 9:10p
Denver Inter­national (DEN) Arrives: 10:35p
Salt Lake City (SLC)

Return – Sun Dec 5 2010
Frontier
Flight 580 Departs: 5:05p
Salt Lake City (SLC) Arrives: 6:30p
Layover in Denver, CO (DEN) for 1h 25m
Frontier
Flight 108 Departs: 7:55p
Denver Inter­national (DEN) Arrives: 10:45p
Minneapolis St Paul (MSP)
Coach | Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 1h 50m

Thanks. I've got to admit that $287 with a 44 minute layover isn't too bad, although I'd be a little worried about the skis making it to SLC with such a short time between flights. Especially in Denver.

Anyone know whether all of Frontier's gates are in the same terminal in Denver? Or is it possible I would I need to take the tram from one terminal to another to another to catch my connecting flights?

Finally, IMO, I still get to carp. Before Delta absorbed Northworst, I never paid more than $300 (and often paid considerably less) for direct flights to SLC, and never felt compelled to consider non-direct options.

flyover":reoxmftv said:
I've got to admit that $287 with a 44 minute layover isn't too bad, although I'd be a little worried about the skis making it to SLC with such a short time between flights. Especially in Denver.
Me too. Technically anything less than an hour is not a "legal" connection. There are probably different flight options (I saw a lot of $287 combos) but I didn't check too closely - that's *your* job!
Kayak.com is your friend.

Delta just published its weekend fares: Nonstop to SLC from either JFK or EWR: $119 each way.

Fly out Saturday morning, return Tuesday evening: 3.5 days for $250-ish roundtrip.

jamesdeluxe":28w29bk7 said:
Delta just published its weekend fares: Nonstop to SLC from either JFK or EWR: $119 each way.
Unfortunately for flyover, coming here from MSP, according to the delta site, the cheapest he could do those same dates would be $545 - and those all involve a 2+ hr layover for the connection. If he wanted non-stop, that bumps the price to $1125. :shock:

Right. The problem with MSP-SLC is that Delta is now the ONLY carrier flying the route directly. Without competition, they are obviously feeling like they can charge a steep premium for direct flights, making SLC an all-around less convenient option for me than it used to be. (And it was so very convenient. A sixish flight home, allowed for a full day of skiing AND an early bedtime here in Minneapolis.)

Mr. Deluxe's find, however, might be of use to sheahunter.

flyover":2jis0qwn said:
Mr. Deluxe's find, however, might be of use to sheahunter.
I thought that this thread was for sheahunter. Wasn't aware that it had taken a MSP turn.

Sucks that the Delta/Northwest merger has bolloxed things up for you. Here in NJ, we're holding our collective breath to see if the upcoming Continental/United merger is going to do the same thing to flights out of Newark. I'm bitter that they're keeping the United branding even though it's, by far, the most hated of the legacy carriers.

Why would anyone fly through Denver to go to Salt Lake City? That's retarded. Get off the plane in Denver and by the time you'd arrive in Salt Lake City (layover time plus flight time) you probably will already be at a ski area in Summit County. Plus you'll eliminate any connection problems, including the possibility of lost luggage and or skis. The airfare should go down as well.

Back