Is skiing in Australia even fun?

I've never skied in the Mid-Atlantic states, but if there is snow (there was on both my trips), terrain variety and steepness is the best places on par with the best in the East.
Interesting. I am keen to sample the New England area ski hills at some point. That assessment encourages me. If I can have some fun at our Aussie hills I'll be able to do the same in the east coast areas of USA too.

Last season's trip was late September/early October to catch a few of the last Midnight Oil shows of their last tour ever.
I spoke with you by PM on the Aussie ski forum about your planning for the Oils concerts. I'm jealous about the last Sydney concerts you caught. I was lucky enough to catch them on the Sunshine Coast last year - there last ever show in Queensland. I had seen them over 20 times since 1986 and they played just as hard as they did when they were 35 years younger. After all the covid interruptions it was fantastic to have been able to get my 17 year old daughter to catch their last show. She was predictably blown away.

I've never skied in the Mid-Atlantic states, but if there is snow (there was on both my trips), terrain variety and steepness is the best places on par with the best in the East.
Stowe, Mad River, really??? That's a very strange comment from Patrick as he values big verticals like Whiteface and Sugarloaf, which I have not skied. What Oz has that the Northeast doesn't is lift service above tree line. That's a personal preference of mine, but I still don't see an argument for Australia exceeding James' Tier 2 Northeast.

Stowe, Mad River, really??? That's a very strange comment from Patrick as he values big verticals like Whiteface and Sugarloaf, which I have not skied. What Oz has that the Northeast doesn't is lift service above tree line. That's a personal preference of mine, but I still don't see an argument for Australia exceeding James' Tier 2 Northeast.
Variety and steep = yes

Vertical is definitely on the low side, but not many people ski 2000ft vert at each run. Kmart’s Superstar express and K1 gondola verts are respectively 1200’ and 1600’

Buller, Hotham, Falls Creek definitely have some tree skiing. Less trees further north in NSW.

I spoke with you by PM on the Aussie ski forum about your planning for the Oils concerts. I'm jealous about the last Sydney concerts you caught. I was lucky enough to catch them on the Sunshine Coast last year - there last ever show in Queensland. I had seen them over 20 times since 1986 and they played just as hard as they did when they were 35 years younger. After all the covid interruptions it was fantastic to have been able to get my 17 year old daughter to catch their last show. She was predictably blown away.
Yes, I definitely remember our conversations last year.

That last Midnight Oil show, wow. 3:45, 40 songs. Definitely a memorable show.

it was a remote possibility that I was going to return south (NZ if they had a good year), but a freak accident at Mammoth has definitely sidetrack serious travel in the short term. The surprise news I found out from Ikon is that my 5 days at Thredbo and Buller could be use prior or after this season, so basically 2 separate Oz seasons. I had 3 days left at Buller and 1 at Thredbo.

Back