Is Sundance worth a visit?

snowave

So I've been to several of the ski areas in the general SLC area, and I'm coming back with the lady sometime this winter for probably a week, to hit the rest I've not been to(Powder Mtn and Brighton) and a re-visit for me to Snowbasin and the Bird and maybe PC).

Let me first say that I realize most of the people here are advanced skiers, and I am an advanced rider myself (lady is a solid intermediate).... but when I go on trips, to me, it's not always just all about the riding. Sure, I like the good terrain and snow quality, but sometimes I like to experience the vibe a place has to offer, it's beauty, culture, food, services etc... especially when I have the lady in tow. I've learned outside of PCMR, there isn't much at the resorts in the area other than the mountain. (which for most here, I'm sure is a plus).

So, we get to Sundance. I understand the basics of the area and why/how it was made, it's a littler further from SLC outside of Provo Cyn, it's a small place, and has limited terrain, less snow, is $$$ for lodging... however, I've seen a few picts over the years of some nice powder days with NO ONE around... and hear it's a very nice place to stay for a day or two and soak up the laid back/beautiful environment, decor, have a 5 star meal, etc.... My old man was there once in the 90's and actually rode a lift up with Redford and said he had a great time and enjoyed the place alot for all the reasons I listed.

So, yeah.. I probably didn't need to write a book here, just thought I'd start a new topic in hopes that Admin and TonyC would find something to argue about regarding Sundance's snow totals or something. \:D/

but seriously, is it worth a day or two and night there? (p.s. I can't find any lodging under $200 a night). :shock:

That's a great write-up... I always forget to look for those articles on here. ](*,) Thanks!

pretty much answers my questions. I think I'd enjoy a couple days there, although it may be tough slapping down half a grand to do it.

Yes, I think it is worth a visit.

There's some reasonable terrain, superb scenery and I'm sure in good snow it would be deserted. But for me one day was enough back in 2005, I will probably head back at some point but of the places you have yet to visit I would certainly head to Powder Mountain and Brighton before I would go there. I'm not into or can afford the $ to stay on the hill so I'd drive everywhere.

Brighton should have enough to entertain you both with nice grooming on all lifts that you can venture another route and easily meet up with the missus lower down. I tend to visit Brighton once or twice a trip.

Pow Mow for me is superb. Everything I like in a resort. Friendly people, deserted slopes, vast area with more than enough to interest me for days at a time. In good snow, usually a day or two after a storm I'd head here if it has not been too warm and sunny or if it has I will go regardless and cruise about and enjoy a beer or two in the Powder Keg. if your prepared to hike a little then there is a lot of great terrain.

There ain't too many bad places to ski :-D

Thanks for your input, q.. good to see ya around!

I hear ya on the $$S, although we might be able to dish it out for a night since we are likely using Marriott points to stay in PC and Ogden the rest of the trip.

Sundance is certainly worth a daytrip and nice lunch even if you don't want to shell out for the lodging. Make sure it's a decent snow year and not too warm, and also maybe good for a day when other places will be busy. My day was on President's weekend. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6448

Tony Crocker":2gzv1tuc said:
Sundance is certainly worth a daytrip and nice lunch even if you don't want to shell out for the lodging. Make sure it's a decent snow year and not too warm, and also maybe good for a day when other places will be busy. My day was on President's weekend.
+1

It really does have a different (i.e. less industrial tourism) ambiance from the Cottonwoods ski areas, and if you get in a conversation with the locals, they will point that out to you.

Here are pix from my one visit in January 2005:
http://www.zoneski.com/forum/index.php/ ... 3-janvier/

Nice pix... thanks! Looks like it could be excellent on a powder day.

I need to brush up on my 1.5 yrs of French from high school, however.

Sundance is one of the sleeper hits of Utah. I think you'd agree, after reading what you wrote about "vibe". Every time I ski there, it feels like New Year's morning... or, more accurately, like remembrances of New Year's mornings past :)
Part of it is the layout, cozy and enclosed as it is by Mount Timp. Part of it is the facilities: nothing like sipping a drink at Owl Bar apres, with its low ceiling and rustic charm. Or, breakfast at Foundry Grill as you watch flakes fall behind the large pane windows. Or, the understated elegance of the Tree Room.
Couple of hints from a past pass holder: Don't even bother with the front mountain; the lift is slow and the runs just meh. Go backside and stay there. And realistically, seeing how you're visiting, you have a better chance of scoring fresh lines there two days after it snows than you do at Snowbird, after 11am the day of. Never mind snowfall statistics: the best powder is the powder you can actually get to, just eyeing it from the lift. And this here is the kicker: your "lady" will be very happy with you, for taking her there!
Do "like" their facebook page -- that will keep you abreast of specials on lodging and food (some of it needs an Utah ID, though).

Back