Ischgl Austria - February 8, 2024.

Hah, those top low-vis above-treeline pix -- we've all been there and have learned to deal with it as best as possible but it's one of the few aspects of Alps skiing (along with scratchy lower-mountain autobahns) of which I'm not a fan.

I have a high tolerance for lower visibility/overcast. This is almost typical Northwest weather at Whistler, Crystal, and Alpental. Or Palisades Tahoe when there is a storm day. And Telluride has a decent amount of alpine terrain that can sometimes get difficult.

As long as I know the snow is consistently one type - powder - either heavy, medium, or light, it's not difficult to ski.

Fog is difficult and a no-go. Or if precipitation is falling....that can be difficult.

Last edited:
I have a high tolerance for lower visibility/overcast. This is almost typical Northwest semi-alpine weather at Whistler, Crystal, and Alpental. Or Palisades Tahoe when there is a storm day. And Telluride has a decent amount of alpine terrain that can sometimes get difficult.

As long as I know the snow is consistently one type - powder - either heavy, medium, or light, it's not difficult to ski.

Fog is difficult and a no-go. Or if precipitation is falling....that can be difficult.
I also have a high tolerance for bad vis/overcast including those same caveats, though I have surely spent far less time in it than ChrisC. I know this because of skiing with far more proficient skiers like Patrick and our former admin who will complain about it when I'm OK. No question snow has to be very consistent; fresh groomers and corn are OK too. So far this particular aspect of skiing has not declined with age as much as some others I've been noticing.

Back