Jackson Hole, WY, Feb. 4, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Today we had the temperature inversion pattern which was most frequent during our previous Jackson visits in 2012 and 2015.

IMG_3476.JPG

This was the most comfortable day for most people but not for us due to a blunder in timing. We skied four groomers on Casper and Teton before heading to the tram at 11:15AM. We forgot that “Friday is the new Saturday,” plus the nice weather attracted many more people to the tram. We got thoroughly chilled as the line is completely in the shade. Our timing was also unlucky, just missing the cutoff and extending our wait from 45 minutes to a full hour.

IMG_0566.jpg

Once we got up top, here’s Liz under spotless blue sky in Rendezvous Bowl.

IMG_3477.JPG

We easily restored body heat by skiing Middle Hoback. There was occasional crunch where the fall line tilted more south but overall very good skiing. Lower Sublette Ridge the prior two days had the best Lower Face skiing with 100% winter snow.

I wanted to spend my remaining time on Sublette, so we used the Bridger gondola and Thunder to get there. View of north side of Thunder:

IMG_3479.JPG

We took a run in Amphitheater at far right while light was still good.

IMG_3484.JPG

Paintbrush is at center right of the prior pic. Tower 3 Chute looks clean at a distance, but must not be as it was roped off at the top. FYI on that tram run I first skied past Corbett’s, which was also roped off.

From Sublette I worked my way down a very bumpy ridgeline to the Alta Chutes. 1 and 2 were roped off though 2 looked doable form the chair. The bump line continued toward Alta 4 but I diverted to Alta 3 here:

IMG_3487.JPG

Later view of Alta 3 from the Sublette chair:

IMG_3486.JPG

Liz had skied Bivouac trees, which I then skied for my next run. Liz had gotten chilled from the wind on the upper quarter of Sublette so she called it a day. I was curious to explore further on that ridgeline, which I later saw labeled as Pepi’s Run-on the map. I had seen groups of skiers skiing there while riding the lift. Skier’s right of the ridge was in the sun with some crunch but mellower moguls. There are nice lines that drop off skier’s right into Cheyenne Bowl but they are both south facing and steep. Eventually traverse tracks pulled left into the shade, rejoining the bump line above Alta 3 and 4. View down the ridge from there:

IMG_3488.JPG

Pepi’s Run continued all the way to the base of Sublette. I rode the lift one last time and finshed the day skiing Tensleep Bowl, Amphitheater and Slalom. Total for the day was 26,200 vertical. Exhausted, we drove to Driggs and after dinner slept a solid 10 hours. We don’t get to Jackson all that often so the great terrain inspires us to work hard and push the limits.

Last edited:
It was at the resort on April 14 that he was struck by another skier and knocked unconscious. Wuerslin died three days later at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, having never woken. He was 71.
April 14 was Jackson's closing day. Lonnie narrowly escaped the same fate Feb. 16 at Breckenridge. Lonnie was struck by a snowboarder, shattered ribs and "tore a hole in his lung." Lung had to be drained for 3 days; ribs were repaired with 7 copper plates, 80 screws and 250 stitches.

Last edited:
Jackson was the topic of conversation at our house last night as it happens. As previously mentioned we're visiting family in Salt Lake City over Christmas. Just after Christmas we'll drive north to ski at either Jackson or Grand Targhee. Being peak season I'll book some accommodation soon. I'd prefer to ski at Grand Targhee but my family have good memories of Jackson town and would prefer to be there. It will be crowded anywhere we go but I'm assuming Jackson Hole will suffer more than GT in that regard? Or much of a muchness?

I'd prefer to ski at Grand Targhee but my family have good memories of Jackson town and would prefer to be there. It will be crowded anywhere we go but I'm assuming Jackson Hole will suffer more than GT in that regard? Or much of a muchness?
Jackson is a nicer town, and since it's more a summer resort hopefully accommodation won't be exorbitant. As for the skiing, you can count on Targhee being in full operation while Jackson averages 80% open. Jackson's lift system has some vulnerability to crowds. In clear weather the commute from Jackson to ski Targhee is about an hour, not unreasonable if you want to split the ski time.

Back