Jan 3 09 - Snowstorm numbers and question

Patrick

I'm stuck sitting here and looking at numbers (based on the Onthesnow website). A few huge difference between neighbouring ski areas. Okay, the snow track might have been extremely tight, but it would seem like a huge difference (using this morning's numbers)

Bretton Woods: 61cm / 24in
Loon: 48cm / 19in

I could see that the storm moved from Loon to BW, but look at the number of neighbouring places from this track.

Cannon: 10cm / 4in
Wildcat: 10cm / 4in
Waterville: 8cm / 3 in
Attitash/Cranmore: 0cm

So if you draw a line from Loon-BW-SR-Sugarloaf, it could be possible.

Sunday River: 20cm / 8in
Sugarloaf: 38cm / 15in
Onthesnow didn't have Saddleback numbers. Website says 20 to 24 inches.

Elsewhere...

Quebec and Vermont:

Sutton: 42cm / 17in

Smuggs: 20cm / 8in
Stowe: 23cm / 9in
Straton: 30cm / 12in

From website for up-to-date numbers:

MRG: 4-10in
Jay: 6-9in / 15-23cm
Massif du Sud: 25cm
Massif: 36cm (closed today - windhold)
MSA: 11cm
Orford: 30cm

Winners for this storm:

BW and Saddleback...followed by Loon and Sutton. The next ones would be Massif and Sugarloaf.
Oh yeah...forgot to add something. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) The worst, is that I saw it coming and traded emails with some folks.

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:45:51 -0500

I have an important meeting on Monday.

Wasn't thinking about this storm...like it's a far far unlikely that I'll make some real powder turns on Sunday...like 5%. But it's not impossible.

Where?

Snow Ridge, Jay / Smuggs, Cannon...Sabbleback or Eastern Quebec. (easiest option to hardest for myself on Sunday).

Skiing here on Saturday, so if it looks real real good, I might leave toward Montreal Saturday night.

Patrick":3to2lj60 said:
I'm stuck sitting here and looking at numbers (based on the Onthesnow website). A few huge difference between neighbouring ski areas. Okay, the snow track might have been extremely tight, but it would seem like a huge difference (using this morning's numbers)

Bretton Woods: 61cm / 24in
Loon: 48cm / 19in

I could see that the storm moved from Loon to BW, but look at the number of neighbouring places from this track.

Cannon: 10cm / 4in
Wildcat: 10cm / 4in
Waterville: 8cm / 3 in
Attitash/Cranmore: 0cm

So if you draw a line from Loon-BW-SR-Sugarloaf, it could be possible.

i Sunday River: 20cm / 8in
Sugarloaf: 38cm / 15in
Onthesnow didn't have Saddleback numbers. Website says 20 to 24 inches.

Elsewhere...

Quebec and Vermont:

Sutton: 42cm / 17in

Smuggs: 20cm / 8in
Stowe: 23cm / 9in
Straton: 30cm / 12in

From website for up-to-date numbers:

MRG: 4-10in
Jay: 6-9in / 15-23cm
Massif du Sud: 25cm
Massif: 36cm (closed today - windhold)
MSA: 11cm
Orford: 30cm

Winners for this storm:

BW and Saddleback...followed by Loon and Sutton. The next ones would be Massif and Sugarloaf.
Oh yeah...forgot to add something. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) The worst, is that I saw it coming and traded emails with some folks.

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:45:51 -0500

I have an important meeting on Monday.

Wasn't thinking about this storm...like it's a far far unlikely that I'll make some real powder turns on Sunday...like 5%. But it's not impossible.

Where?

Snow Ridge, Jay / Smuggs, Cannon...Sabbleback or Eastern Quebec. (easiest option to hardest for myself on Sunday).

Skiing here on Saturday, so if it looks real real good, I might leave toward Montreal Saturday night.

i was in lincoln for new years and through the weekend.. left lincol at 8 am and just got back today .....i did not ski- cept for 1 day of cross country at bretton on friday.... all i can tell you is the the loon number is a total lie.. they have no shame .... it's at most 12 inches and probably closer to 10 and that was a 48 hour total from fri morn to this am...

I look at it this way...they got a good amount of snow for us to slide around on. It will vary from windswept to knee deep drifts......snow...not a static material...it kind of goes where it wants to..and its up to us to find it!

Back