Lee Canyon, NV, 3/8/2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Lee Canyon was the first area I ever skied, during Christmas Week 1975. My father was from Maine and my mother from Idaho, and they decided to live in SoCal because they both hated snow. I first saw snow fall at college in New Jersey. Introduction to skiing at age 23 was a total fluke. A friend invited me along on his uncle's high roller junket to Las Vegas for New Year's 1976. The uncle was from Miami and his daughter wanted to see snow, so we all went out to Lee Canyon, got rentals and played around on a 100-foot handle tow for a couple of hours. This is the bunny hill formerly served by that handle tow.
IMG_5255.JPG

Archives show both Bluebird and Sherwood chairs as far back as 1983, though I thought in 1975 that there was only one chair.
LeeCanyon.jpg

The Ponderosa lift is new this season and a local lady said it's helpful in keeping beginners off the two upper lifts.

Trails are Vegas-themed.
IMG_5258.JPG

We found this one amusing.
IMG_3977.JPG

I was fairly confident of conditions as I knew it had been hit by the same big storms as SoCal and Mammoth first week of February. I was hopeful that with elevation range 8,510-9,370 that Lee Canyon had been spared the 4 days of rain that plagued SoCal ski areas since then. We didn't start skiing until about 10:15 in case there was a melt freeze that needed to loosen up. But the groomers were all packed powder.

The upper lifts are about 700 vertical and the 5 groomed runs from them would get repetitive after awhile. So we ventured off the groomed to these drops skier's left of Bimbo.
IMG_5261.JPG

I chose this one first, Pipeline, not too steep but narrow.
IMG_5265.JPG

In the shade this too was all packed powder.

Next was Jacks, the liftline of the Sherwood chair:
IMG_5273.JPG

This had more sun so a slight melt/freeze effect.

The area marked Kings and Queens on the map is all comfortably spaced intermediate pitch trees.
IMG_5277.JPG

This would be ideal on powder days because the local clientele seems quite intermediate. From online booking and signs at the base, we got the strong impression that many visitors rent skis or snowboards. The inch of snow from Wednesday was still occasionally untouched.

Slot Alley is the last run after traversing right from Sherwood. Several people had trouble with its entry.
IMG_5283.JPG

This lady fell and rolled, so Liz is waiting for her to come to rest.

Looking down, Slot Alley formed a fun natural halfpipe for amateurs such as myself.
IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

Runout of Slot Alley with peek of the desert 6,000 feet below:
IMG_5280.JPG

Off to skier's left is Lee Canyon's snowmaking reservoir.
IMG_5290.JPG

This is probably adequate for those 5 upper groomers.

Here's another run in the trees.
IMG_5293.JPG

With the shade the tree skiing was about 80% winter snow, very forgiving. This is the kind of skiing for which Mt. Waterman was long ago well known.

The lift service is all intermediate pitch. We do hear about skiers climbing above the lifts for steeper terrain.
IMG_5297.JPG

You can do that for awhile but most of the top looks like sheer cliffs. The only skiable line from the top is barely visible at far left. The avalanche hazard coming off those cliffs is real, and caused a very unusual fatality in 2005. There are a lot of warning signs now. The slide paths appear aimed into two gullies somewhat distant from the lifts, so I wonder if some terrain was recontoured.

I skied 13,000 vertical by about 2:45.

Last edited:
Excellent report. At some point in the past, didn't they try rebranding it as Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort or something like that even though it's 30+ miles from the city? In any case, glad that it's back to the much more befitting Lee Canyon.

Historically, what's the percentage of the ski season that most or all of the lift-served terrain is open like now?

This requires an explanation:
Screenshot 2024-03-09 063540.jpg

The Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard name was used from 1995-2015. My hat came off after the first 4 groomed runs. OpenSnow predicted high was 29, but my guess is that it got warmer.

I would have no idea how often and how much terrain is open. Website claims 161 inches annual snowfall and that local lady boasted that last year was 273, That’s in the ball park with Baldy. Groomed terrain is likely fairly reliable core of the season judging by moderate pitch and the size of that reservoir.

As for the ungroomed, coverage is surely erratic as volatility has to be high. But Lee Canyon has a big advantage in altitude as its base is about same as top of Thunder at Baldy. For that and less coastal location rain incidence is far lower.

Last edited:
Back