loon mtn, nh 12-22-08

joegm

just arrived in lincoln....drive up on 93 fine until about e 23...very slow going after that...3 1/2 total time .. usually 2.... there is a good 18 of non windblown outside the condo right now....loon can't seem to manage to get a report up on the web site as of 830 ](*,) :roll: .... stowe , mrg et al updated , as they should , at 6 am...

not worth driving anywhere with the wind and the seeming high probability of limited access to good stuff....so across the street we go with an eye on stowe or mad river glen for some real skiing for tomorrow...

the web site said 21 in the last 48.... it was legit....probably the best non corn snow day at loon ive had in a good 3 years. this is peculiar as loon claims to have broken their all time record for snow last year... if a remember though, quite a few of the events last year came on weekends and the weekdays got the rain :roll:
we pretty much ran double dipper and triple trouble and mike's way trees all day...mikes way was loaded and could be skied full force no problem...a surprising lack of ice under the fresh snow on DD and TT....flume was ok but that is where most of the bigger than expected crowd was so we stayed away for the most part....
by 2 , good bump lines had formed on DD... the only negative was the obviously frigid temps and wind.... accessing TT and DD off the NP and sunset was pretty painful for sure....gusts probably topped 30 to 40 at points... no lift operations affected as far as i knew ... gondola line was long all day , but didn't matter as we were on the NP all day
about as epic as it gets at loon for sure.... sitting here now trying to decide if a 5am rise and 3 hour ride to northern VT and stowe or MRG is worth it :-k
tomorrow should be very good pretty much everywhere is anyone is thinking of skiing

we were this close to bypassing lincoln all together and going to VT...sometimes you win sometimes you lose i guess :wink: next time crocker busts my aggies about loon i can pull this card out :wink:

Mad River Today Dec 22, 2008 at 06:00:00

Skiers enjoyed a stellar day of powder skiing today until we encountered a technical problem on the single chair. There was a guide sheave failure in the drive terminal. A bolt stripped out of the cross arm which allowed the guide sheave to drop out of alignment causing the lift to shut down. We are presently in touch with the manufacturer, Doppelmayr/Ctec, there is a technician en route and we will assess the situation this evening. It appears to be a relatively easy fix and with any luck we should be able to re-open the by lift tomorrow morning. MRG ski patrol, staff, and volunteers helped to quickly evacuate the lift in approximately an hour and a half. Thanks to everyone who helped to make the evacuation go so smoothly. Stay tuned to this report for updates. Today skiers reveled in 16-20" of blower powder from the big Nor'easter. On Tuesday we do plan to offer skiing on 100% of our main mountain terrain on a packed powder skiing surface.

Skiers enjoyed a stellar day of powder skiing today until we encountered a technical problem on the single chair.....
I've often commented on the similarities between Baldy and MRG. :lol:

Back