Loveland, CO April 7, 2024

EMSC

A modest sized storm coming through had outsized winds with it making for some interesting snow. I think I burned 50% more fuel just going up with huge winds in my face.

Loveland Derby ski race weekend. A very old and long running SL race with lots of history. A few inches of nice snow but almost literal no visibility on Saturday, with a combined 2 day total of 11" new by Sunday, but heavily wind affected (or blown off) in some areas and chilly (~10F to start and ~25F in the sun by late day). Made for some challenging skiing, but also mostly nice skiing once wind, exposure, etc... figured out.

Today was worth the full mtn lift ticket vs valley only. Started with 10 fast laps on Chets Dream lift hitting barely touched at first then lightly touched steeps. Had to be VERY cognizant of wind loading areas, reading mogul tops and also some random super dense wind compacted spots. Then down to the races (multiple on two different trails).

Back up to explore a bit of Ptarmigan lift area looking for low angle meadow skipping in the powder. Fisrst finding terrible snow except half a dozen turns in South Chutes, Then mediocre snow in the old poma lift line, and finally a great hidden meadow skipping run that I did twice since so few had skied it (skiers right, lokers left of the chair). I opted for lunch at the far less crowded Basin lodge. Then a final couple of quick laps and back down to the races. I counted ~16K of 'real' vertical (not counting laps at the races). Eventually pulled off the boots about 2:45p.

Chair 9 never opened. Finally heard blasting going on on the upper terrain ~2p today. Should be a few spots that are good for Monday - Patrol Bowl being one with the right wind exposure.

No shortage of Racer Chasers
Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Many runs with powder skiers left and hardpack by skiers right...
20240407_085557.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Despite being 'late' to the Basin side, lightly tracked or less was the order of the morning:
Image00004.jpg

I mean, 2 or 3 tracks by nearly 10am
Image00007.jpg

Despite the cool 'trail' heading to Over the Rainbow, the upper part was not great. Mostly wind blasted hardpack (though chalky)
Image00005.jpg

I ain't saying where... The drinkin' & smokein' bros were not in attendance today though as I put the only tracks in the area late am.
Image00008.jpg

As you can see by the parking lot, there were no lift lines on any lift all day long
Image00010.jpg

Late am and finally calming down a bit in cloud and wind...
Image00012.jpg

Oh, and some ski racing
Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

The bane of the modern ski race spectator
Image00015.jpg

Overview of my 'real' ski runs for Sunday.
LovelandApr7.PNG

Back