Mammoth 3/8/2013 through 3/10/2013

socal

Made it to Canyon lodge on Friday at 1pm bought a ticket and was quickly on the hill. We missed the great powder morning but everything was still really soft. A few laps on Canyon Express were a good warm up. Then hit chair 5 for 3 laps, then chair one for a lap, finishing up with 3 laps on 3 then back down. Clouds had rolled back in and the top was closed by the afternoon. It started snowing pretty hard as we drank some beers outside Canyon.

Woke up Saturday early and was about 20th in line for Canyon Express. Headed right to 5 and was one of the first ones there. Got about 2-3 untracked/lightly tracked runs before heading to Ch. 1 thinking I'd get to Ch 12 early but it wasn't running. Took 2 runs off just off the cat track before you got to Gravy Chute were in great shape so did 2 laps over there. Planned to catch the gondola up to head over to Ch 3 but saw 12 running so we were one of the first 20 or so and got 2 great laps in. Overheard in line that 14 was open and since the top was close 12 was the only way over. By then the crowd at 12 was big so we skied an untracked run to 14 and got 2 more good runs in before the masses showed up.

Took 13 back up and skied down to Main thinking we'd catch the gondola to McCoy for lunch; as luck would have it we getting ready to board and the guy said the top was open. It was really windy up there, weather station said 50 mph winds with 70mph gusts. The wind was blowing up so dropping in was an adventure as you couldn't see anything. Once you dropped in the wind was basically gon and I got great untracked line just below the gondola. After some lunch at the Mill headed over to 9, I don't that area well but took the traverse out and it was just ok, way too many lower traverses, I assume from boarders; had to be 20 or so that really ruined the run. Did a few laps off Ch 22 which were tracked but soft and fun.

Sunday was sunny and warm and the wind was gone. Did a lap on 5 then over to China Bowl then to 23. Dropout 1 was great, Wipeout (all the way to the skiers left) was hammer by wind and terrible. Skied back over to McCoy and up the gondola for 4 laps all were really nice. Hangman’s was bumped up on top and before the choke but the apron was great soft smooth snow. Stopped for a few to watch what I think was the junior national downhill (or super g?). Fun watching that. Dave’s was in great shape as well. Did one last run off 25 and called it a day to get a buddy to LAX for the redeye.

Really nice weekend; crowded on Saturday but not too bad.

Some pics

Nice afternoon on Saturday, notice the wind up at the top
IMG_20130309_132830.jpg

Hangman's (she's not hurt don't worry)
IMG_20130310_115215.jpg

IMG_20130310_115358.jpg

Racer's:
IMG_20130310_120826.jpg

IMG_20130310_120827.jpg

IMG_20130310_120828.jpg

Little video sorry for the crappy camera work, I was holding my phone and messsed up the zoom https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cYg31MiT_DD1RACEZLJm5WLptG21x8-UcpNHL0NrmWU?feat=directlink

Dave's
IMG_20130310_123134.jpg

baldyskier":31rdurw4 said:
Thanks for the post. Looks like you found some decent conditions, which hasn't been so easy this season.

Agreed, I got lucky considering this had been booked for about a month out. Probably couldn't have worked out much better.

ShiftyRider":1w9fdmqr said:
Very nice photos!

Thanks, little redish for some reason but not bad for a cell phone.

ShiftyRider":1w9fdmqr said:
Probably couldn't have worked out much better.
Your first ride up 14 in that scenario, I humbly recommend Paranoids.

No disagreement, although I never have hiked up there from 14 before. Either way I was skiing with friends who would have no business up there.

Back