Mammoth this weekend (11/30/12)??

socal

Have the weekend free and was thinking of chasing the storm. Cheap lodging at main is available. Anyone else thinking of going?

Ps-im aware of the risks (wind, high snow levels, etc)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking of it, but will wait until after the weekend (virtue of retirement and my cheap lodging deal is midweek). High snow levels may be a problem at Tahoe but will probably build a deep base at Mammoth.

I decided to hold off on booking a hotel, newest NWS update has 10k+ snow levels during the day Saturday. I'd rather pay more for lodging than have a non refundable hotel booked when it'll be raining up to McCoy.

I'm thinking of heading up Saturday afternoon, ski Sunday/Monday, back Monday night. Snow levels drop significantly Saturday night last time I looked. Up for carpooling/perhaps split lodging if anyone is interested.

EDIT: I think I have the storm backwards. Warming up as it progresses, before a last cool down Sunday night. Maybe Saturday/Sunday is the best bet.

jtran10":301csy3m said:
I'm thinking of heading up Saturday afternoon, ski Sunday/Monday, back Monday night. Snow levels drop significantly Saturday night last time I looked. Up for carpooling/perhaps split lodging if anyone is interested.

EDIT: I think I have the storm backwards. Warming up as it progresses, before a last cool down Sunday night. Maybe Saturday/Sunday is the best bet.

The models are saying it's going to warm up Sat/Sun before it gets cold, and coincidentally the storm moves past. I think wait and see is the name of the game. It could be amazing if the snow levels come in lower, or terrible if they're higher. Only good thing is that the top should get a ton of snow and be nice for the spring. Bottom 1/2 of the mountain could melt away with 6+ inches of rain which would be terrible.

The last storm was warm enough that Canyon/Eagle could not be opened for Thanksgiving. It seems likely the current configuration of Mammoth will continue for awhile. Given eyewitness reports from the upper mountain, it's still well worth the trip once the storm passes and the top is open.

Tony Crocker":4famgmb8 said:
Given eyewitness reports from the upper mountain, it's still well worth the trip once the storm passes and the top is open.

No arguments there, my issue is that I'd be skiing Sat/Sun and there's basically 0% chance the top would open given the winds predicted. So skiing the lower mountain in a windy monsoon isn't sounding ideal.

Sat/early Sun look terrible right now. It could get fun Sunday afternoon. My current plan is to try to predict how good the top will be/if it will open (it should) Monday and Tuesday and perhaps go up for that.

I will make the call Monday morning, hopefully drive up that afternoon if the storm series ends on a positive note. I agree that the weekend looks like the worst time to be up there.

Back