Mount New Skis/Bindings at Home or in Ski Resort?

Sbooker

Again this question is not entirely in the correct thread but considering I’ll be in Europe in a few weeks it will do.
I have new boots and new skis. Should I consider it will be quick and easy to get the bindings adjusted to suit the boots and the skis waxed in just about any area of the French Alps the day I get in (ready for skiing bright and early the next day)?
Or take them to our one shop in Brisbane that offers that service at an eye watering price?

What are the thoughts on skis coming from the factory adequately tuned?

Thanks in advance.

Oh. Snowing in the western Alps and a bit more in the forecast.

Brisbane has a ski shop? Adam worked for the last one in San Diego before it closed in March 2009. Given my low opinion of L.A. shop tuneups (we very few left) I would be more inclined to trust a shop in a ski resort.

Brisbane has a ski shop? Adam worked for the last one in San Diego before it closed in March 2009. Given my low opinion of L.A. shop tuneups (we have very few left) I would be more inclined to trust a shop in a ski resort.
It does. I now understand my first boots were fitted far too much on the comfort side of the ledger and have always been a bit too big. My new boots are a full size smaller.
I’m hoping the better fit will increase my skiing performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now understand my first boots were fitted far too much on the comfort side of the ledger and have always been a bit too big.
A very common problem, probably true for my first new boots bought in 1980. They feel great in the shop; then the liners compact after several days of skiing. Sizing should based upon shell testing.

have new boots and new skis. Should I consider it will be quick and easy to get the bindings adjusted to suit the boots and the skis waxed in just about any area of the French Alps the day I get in (ready for skiing bright and early the next day)?

I have gotten 4/5 pm tunes at Zermatt, St Anton, and Courmayeur - no issues.

Basically, you detune the fronts/backs (a few cm) of new skis. The edges are too sharp. Maybe some wax.

Will the bindings be mounted? Assume not. If they drill, get them to them ASAP. But that is not a long process. It's maybe playing with DINs and resting.

Last edited:
Will the bindings be mounted? Assume not. If they drill, get them to them ASAP. But that is not a long process. It's maybe playing with DINs and resting.
I have bought skis from Europe. I should get them in about a week. It’s the same retailer as my existing skis. Bindings will be mounted as they were with my existing skis.
They ask for a boot model and size and mount the bindings according to that info but of course the fitting of the boot to the ski (and DIN setting) will have to be fine tuned.

Thanks for the info on the defining the front and back. I didn’t know that.

Back