MSS to open tomorrow saturday nov 12th

Frankontour

Mont Saint-Sauveur is seriously talking about an opening tomorrow morning. It's not sure at 100%, but with the temperatures below freezing point this afternoon + the cold weather of last night and the coming night, they're trying to open as soon as tomorrow morning.

Cool :)

(oops, just seen that Big Jay wrote it a few minutes ago in another thread)

here are a couple pics :

mssi12.jpg

sso1.jpg

Me and 2 friends from school will be there tomorrow if they open. Were ready to go just gotta get the go in the morning.

woodi7259":2b74zar3 said:
Me and 2 friends from school will be there tomorrow if they open. Were ready to go just gotta get the go in the morning.

BETTER CHECK FIRST....I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT THEY WERE GOING TO BE DEFINITELY OPEN TOMORROW (THEY'RE TRYING)...

As of this morning MSSI is still trying to decide when to open my guess probably tomorrow( although this could be delayed by forecasted rain ) with 2 runs ( Hill 70 and Nordique ). Which is basically one intermediate trail and easy learning trail serviced by a high speed lift. Just a no bull comment on MSSI opening, if you have never been the 2 trails that open represent suburban skiing at its worst. Watching everyone descend the 2 trails looks more like the exiting of a stadium after a game rather than skiing. You also get to watch the amusing spectacle of everyone descending on skis, snowboards, ski blades and double decked boards on a surface of frozen golf balls mixed with dirt turned up by groomers.

Anthony":3ckveh98 said:
As of this morning MSSI is still trying to decide when to open my guess probably tomorrow

Just read from their website, MSS will NOT open until late next week.

Officially, Hill 70 and Nordique aren't green and blue, but blue (70) and black (Nordique).

The final pitch on Hill 70 is definately steeper than an easy learning trail.

In fact, both trails are black trails... and real black ones in my opinion. Hill 70 in the lower part is probably steeper than the double black trails of the canyon of Killington (that I skied 2 weeks ago) (Cascade, Downdraft, Double Dipper and East Fall) so we're quite far from an easy trail. Nordique is even steeper, closing on the 30 degrees.

Effectively, they were almost ready to open today, I guess they should have been able to open... but something like at 2h in the afternoon and they prefered to build their base for a big opening this week after the warm weather passage.

Yeah, We checked this morning and saw no update so decided to head over to whiteface and see what their snowmaking teams had been up to. They've done quite a bit. It was a good time.

Frankontour":2lpljtc8 said:
Hill 70 in the lower part is probably steeper than the double black trails of the canyon of Killington (that I skied 2 weeks ago) (Cascade, Downdraft, Double Dipper and East Fall).

:shock: I disagree...

Patrick":1st1r376 said:
Frankontour":1st1r376 said:
Hill 70 in the lower part is probably steeper than the double black trails of the canyon of Killington (that I skied 2 weeks ago) (Cascade, Downdraft, Double Dipper and East Fall).

:shock: I disagree...

I will precise that I wasn't counting Cascade Headwall and Downdraft Headwall, but only below Upper Great Northern.

Here is a photo for the steepness of the "Nordique"

st-sauveur_083.jpg

And as a comparison basis, here is the "pitch" of cascade photo taken late afternoon 2 sunday ago, it's why the bare spots... is there a comparison possible ?

One trail that I took 2 sunday ago that had a nice steepness was Lower Ovation, though ;)

Attachments

• Cascade.jpg
    Cascade.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 6,077
C'mon Frank! MSS is as boring as they come! A black-diamond trail there is pretty much the same as their blue squares... I can't see any difference between the Jay (skier's right of the main quad) and the 70-west (skier's left) and somehow, one's a blue the other's a diamond!

MSS is certainly not worth the drive... If i were in vermont, i would go anywhere the guns have been blowing and where it snowed on Thursday and start hiking!

:!:

I would like to say that I didn't compare the quality of skiing of both mountains, but ONLY AND ONLY the steepness of the canyon trails of Killington VS the steepness of the Nordique at St-Sauveur after someone told that West 70 was a novice trail while it's 25 degrees steep.

St-Sauveur is not a super interesting mountain in Quebec, in general... so I even couldn't think to compare it to some ski areas in New England. The only funny thing to do at St-Sauveur is skiing the 50-75 more or less illegal glades and lines of the mountain and the cliffs of Mt Avila.

May be I badly expressed myself in my poor english, but I was only comparing some steepness.

I don't know... I don't think Saint-Sauveur has anything as steep as the part of Cascade right before and after it curves around to the left (by where the old midstation was), and double dipper has a double fall line, in addition to its steepness. Ovation is pretty steep (I think it might be Killington's steepest run) - one of my favorite parts is what I guess they used to open at the very top once you cut off the Superstar Quad to the right... nice little stretch to duck the ropes on. Skye Hawk is steep too, and Vertigo (but none of that is the canyon area anymore...) I think there are alot more trails than those that are steeper than anything at Saint-Sauveur.... Upper Catwalk maybe? I havent skied that in a while, so maybe im wrong about that.... but anyway, with all the exposed rocks and crap usually on the trail it'll offer you up a fun challenge - especially if you've got a few beers in you. Even East Fall is pretty damn steep, especially compared to anything at MSS. (note to children: author does not condone drinking and skiing)

Sven

Lower Ovation is steeper than anything at St-Sauveur, I agree totally on that one. Is it the steepest trail of the mountain, however ? It's steep... but not that much (35 degrees or a little bit more ?) It made me think a little bit to the "Surprenante" of the Massif du Sud, but with a very shorter pitch than the fabulous trail of the MDS.

Upper Catwalk... it's not very steep, the difficult thing there is more the narrowness + the rocks, as of what I've seen 2 weeks ago.

I should re-take a look at Smuggler's notch, as I missed the steep trails 10 years ago when I skied there... I would certainly get some steep trails with Upper FIS, Freefall, Black Hole, Madonna Liftline... and a few secret spots I guess ;)

Frankontour":1s8wex34 said:
Lower Ovation is steeper than anything at St-Sauveur, I agree totally on that one. Is it the steepest trail of the mountain, however ?

Ovation...when it was created, K claimed is was their steepest. Prior to that, they would to say it was Devil's Fiddle on Bear.

Frankontour":1s8wex34 said:
ONLY AND ONLY the steepness of the canyon trails of Killington VS the steepness of the Nordique at St-Sauveur after someone told that West 70 was a novice trail while it's 25 degrees steep.
As you noticed, I came to defend Hill 70 (definately not green. It was blue back in my days, not black), but you were talking of the steepest of West 70 versus the Canyon trails. I know both every well and there is no way that the final pitch of 70 is steeper than lower Cascade (after the old mid), Lower Downdraft, Lower Double Dipper and Lower East Fall. I'm not 100% sure in comparing on the steepest of those trails versus Nordique. However I know that the steep pitches of the K trails are longer than the short final drop of Nordique.

Sven is right about the short Vertigo, that a fun drop. I also like Royal Flush and Highline.

Some steepness measures of selected eastern trails from poster "Powdr" at Epic Ski:
Extrovert @ Blue Knob - 28.5 degrees
Lower Wildcat @ Laurel Mountain - 28.1 degrees
Starr @ Stowe - 31.1 degrees
Castle Rock @ Sugarbush - 21.3 degrees
Whiteface Slides @ whiteface - 36.3 degrees
Denton Hill's triple diamond run - 27.7 degrees
Goat @ Stowe - 33.6 degrees
Robin's Run @ Smuggs - 29.8 degrees
Outer Limits @ Killington - 28.5 degrees
Devils Fiddle @ Killington - 25 degrees
Ripcord @ Mt. Snow - 27.4 degrees
Tuckermans (steepest I could find) - 45.3 degrees (damn!)
Dynamite @ Tremblant - 28 degrees
Black Hole @ Smuggs - 31.0 degrees
Ovation (lower section) @ Killington - 30.7 degrees
Rumble @ Sugarbush - 27.9 degrees

This is doable with Google Earth also. I've done a few, but accuracy is questionable if you measure very short sections.

Same thing here !

Is it with trigonometry ?? (I know you're a king of the maths, Tony....)

If yes, I'm really poor in this kind of maths, but do you have a formula that we could use with MS Excel or something like that, to calculate the steepness of the trails ?

I called my father (who was teaching mathematics when he was my age) and he helped me to find the way to calculate the degrees of trails... I just want to ensure something, Tony.

Do you think the "length" on Google Earth is the "flat side" of the triangle or the "inclined side" of the triangle (sorry, I don't know the english mathematical names for these sides)

Actually, I think it's the "flat side" of the triangle, but I'm not 100% sure... for Outer Limits (Killington), it would give me a maximum of 27.2 degrees... while if it's the "inclined side", it would give me 31.0 degrees... so I'm not sure !

Tony Crocker":2hqewj69 said:
Some steepness measures of selected eastern trails from poster "Powdr" at Epic Ski:

This is doable with Google Earth also. I've done a few, but accuracy is questionable if you measure very short sections.

Tucks is only 45 degrees? Im sure if you calculated the steepness of the top half of the bowl (or the top half of chute or left gully perhaps) itd be like 50+ though no? My friend was telling me people have skied central gully... i've never even scoped that out.. How reasonable do you guys think that is/has anyone on here ever considered skiing it or skied it? I wonder what the steepest, reasonably skiable terrain is in the east...

Sven

sven":1z0bhl68 said:
Tony Crocker":1z0bhl68 said:

Tucks is only 45 degrees? Im sure if you calculated the steepness of the top half of the bowl (or the top half of chute or left gully perhaps) itd be like 50+ though no? My friend was telling me people have skied central gully... i've never even scoped that out.. How reasonable do you guys think that is/has anyone on here ever considered skiing it or skied it? I wonder what the steepest, reasonably skiable terrain is in the east...

Sven

Yes, the top have is generally closer to 50+ from what I read (I'm not very good at estimating slope angle), but 45 degrees for the bowl average would sound about right.

Central Gully? Is he talking about Chute, The Lip, etc? The Chute is like skiing on the pool ball, it just keeps getting steeper and steeper and you cannot over the edge of it.

Regarding MSS versus K steepness:

It would be hard to get a precise angle on MSS, especially that it's not on high-resolution and that the Nordique/West 70 pitchs are short. But the one are K should be pretty easy, over 2000 ft on Double Dipper with a 831 feet verical. Final pitchs of Downdraft and Cascade are dropping approximately 350 feet on a lenght of 700 ft. Didn't look at East Fall, but it should be in the same range.

The easiest for comparing both would to actually get a topographic map of the St-Sauveur area and an old K trail map from the 80s. :wink:

Back