Mt Waterman Opening This Weekend

socal

Just saw this on Waterman's Site:

3-8-2010 - 11am - Hello from a snowy Mt Waterman we finally have some good news. We will be open for skiing and snowboarding this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The hill will be open from 9am to 4pm so come on up and support the good old Mt Waterman Ski Area. The only catch is your going to have to take an alternate route to get here. If you read down on this page we have written directions and a link to a map posted for your convinvance. Please get the word out and we will see you this weekend.

I'm planning on trying my knee at Baldy on Friday but is anyone thinking about going to Waterman this weekend? Any thoughts on what to expect for road conditions (ie, will I need chains or 4wd as I have neither, actually all I have is RWD for the weekend).

just happen to have Friday off, i will try to get up there. whats the surface condition gunna be like with no skier pack all year, a lil leftover powder?

I was wondering the same myself, I'm sure Tony will have some thoughts. I'm thinking it'll be good.

Very interesting. I had been planning on a corn harvest at Baldy for the weekend, but this may well make me reconsider, for variety's sake. I think some aspects on Baldy will be better than the pure north at Waterman this weekend, but hey, the season opener is the season opener.

Wish I could make Friday, will have to wait till Saturday if I go.

Might try to get up there Friday for an early half day depending on work.

Hard to imagine any chain requirements in the absence of snow in the forecast.

Another FYI, saw this on the Mt. Waterman Facebook page

Bill Eslick-Be Aware! normally we tell you to enjoy your National Forest, but we do not patrol OB and you are on your own. However, because of the Station Fire, the Forest is officially CLOSED! If the Sherrifs see parked cars at the bottom of AVI, they may wait for you and arrest you! Be Warned!

socal":uhotidun said:
Another FYI, saw this on the Mt. Waterman Facebook page

Bill Eslick-Be Aware! normally we tell you to enjoy your National Forest, but we do not patrol OB and you are on your own. However, because of the Station Fire, the Forest is officially CLOSED! If the Sherrifs see parked cars at the bottom of AVI, they may wait for you and arrest you! Be Warned!
Help me understand why such a policy would be in place. Are the dead trees a danger to skiers in some way? What's the justification for restricting public access to our forest?

I would like to see Waterman succeed, but I would not have high expectations for the upcoming weekend. With a March week in SoCal since the last storm, that storm being modest and probably high water content, the untracked may be quite difficult. Bring the fattest boards you can get; you'll need them.

If the comments about sheriff arrests on AVI are true, that would be a deal breaker for me. I'd be tempted for the April corn out there, which was amazing in 1983.

The detour driving route via Big Tujunga is the same as in 1978. It will be a sobering drive this time through the core of the Station Fire burn area.

With Baldy's management starting to get its act together this year and the current weather and snowpack, I would continue going there if it were my call.

For what it's worth, the Monday night duster dumped a few inches of fluffy stuff - based on reports from Mt. Pinos and Mountain High.

Tony Crocker":wdv7b0ny said:
If the comments about sheriff arrests on AVI are true, that would be a deal breaker for me. I'd be tempted for the April corn out there, which was amazing in 1983.

Nobody's going to get arrested or ticketed for snow sliding near the ski area. If you're within a reasonable proximity to the Waterman, (which Avi is known as a popular run) and on skis/board... you're going to be fine.

It's complete bulls**t that the forest is still closed from the fire. The forest service would prefer to permanently close the forest in this area and completely restrict public access. There are many working for the forest service who are opposed to the public accessing our public lands. It's also bulls**t that we arrest people for skiing or riding out of bounds. There should be access gates to the out-of-bounds terrain and people should be permitted to ski and board at their own risk. I can't believe the taxpayers accept this nonsense from the Sheriff. The state is practically bankrupt but yet, they'll still throw an out-of-bounds skier into jail.

Back