Mustang Powder Cat Skiing February 19-21, 2022

flyover

I think we had the best snow I have had at Mustang over 6 tours (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022). We arrived Friday evening February 18 and skied Saturday the 19th, Sunday the 20th, and Monday the 21st. It more or less snowed the whole time, although the storm was more intense on the front end. The storm started warm on Thursday and slowly cooled until it was pretty cold when it finally fizzled out about the time we took our last run on Monday. The result was deep, perfectly right-side-up snow that was medium-density creamy on the bottom and pixie dust on top. By Saturday morning 60 cm had fallen and by Monday morning the guides estimated we had added another 22 cm. Predicted clearing did not occur on either Sunday or Monday, so visibility wasn’t good enough to get into the high alpine. Early in the tour, we skied a lot of trees and cut blocks in the southern half of the tenure. On Sunday afternoon and Monday we got up to somewhat more open terrain a little further north (Super Bon Bon, the lower elevation Roman runs, etc.).

Our group of 11 was entirely new to us as Tony and tseeb were skiing elsewhere and the large group of Ontario orthopedic surgeons and their friends that we had skied with for years booked a private cat. Our group was also very strong. In our early 50s, John and I were the oldest in the cat, and no better than average in terms of powder chops. We had three excellent skiers (two of whom were former tail guides) and no true intermediate or out-of-shape skiers. Our group’s pace was interesting compared to prior years. We were arguably less efficient at getting out of the cat and into our bindings. The pace on the downhill, however, was noticeably faster, at least when nobody paused to set up for airtime. Ours was the only large cat this year. Otherwise, there were two small-group private cats (8 and 4(!)) and the steep-chutes cat (6).

Our guide for the last two days, Philipe (a former ski-cross racer from the Czech Republic) was excellent and similar, in terms of adventurousness and risk tolerance, to Bruno, our guide in 2015. (https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/threads/mustang-powder-cats-bc-2-21-23-2015.11729/) Our verts weren’t particularly impressive in light of the pace (16.9k, 22k, 16.6k) due to some longish commutes, Philippe’s encouraging/facilitating significant hucking, and the setting up that sometimes required, and due to searches for a couple of lost skis that likely resulted from overly-aggressive skiing.

However, John and I were very happy not to be in the private cat with the orthopedic surgeons and friends, as they were very significantly slowed down by 3 new skiers they recruited to fill seats.

John and I agreed that one of the remarkable things about the snow was how consistent it was on just about every significant pitch. We were very seldom hitting changes in density on the same pitch. This was true even on the few runs where we ventured to just above or at tree line. There was wind slab up there for sure, and such runs were only skied after much ski cutting and instruction from our guide to ski one at a time with significant spacing, etc. However, even the wind slab was consistent in that it was all supportable, with shallow, high-quality powder on top. This was a lot of fun, as it allowed high-speed carving with some pretty spectacular rooster tails. The vast majority of our runs, however, were below tree line in the trees or cut blocks, where the snow was very consistently deep and right side up.

The brisk pace and the storm meant I took far fewer pictures than I have in the past.

Over all, a good time was had by all and we are looking forward to this year’s trip.

9B1CE446-BDA9-4C97-B4B4-1AACC115AC05.jpeg

84B68E18-31BB-4F9D-85DF-9262598F8B61.jpeg

8CD9DE2A-E0F9-4C4C-99F6-DCBC68B5E051.jpeg

3DFF95AB-0DF2-42CF-B779-E851F35D6044.jpeg

93393F8C-1C60-4F8C-8228-03EADBF9BA03.jpeg

4BA2BE93-A9C1-47E6-9D34-FBE059476563.jpeg

8A0CFC7C-7782-4250-A4AF-541AD3B8B2A0.jpeg

04F03164-3F4D-44AF-8266-9E7261B52B5D.jpeg

C7F43D18-32D8-4BDC-94EF-E40368EB1399.jpeg

E254428C-6BAC-4F19-A624-7EF34571FEB2.jpeg

67FE2B69-A225-4B71-A6A8-CE6B8EB51403.jpeg

A2BC7892-C3AE-4ABB-B6F9-586DB10634B9.jpeg

3CE357E5-8C50-496B-B952-8047A26A8581.jpeg

708C694D-49F6-4BFB-9D1C-E3DC5832E7C2.jpeg

Our verts weren’t particularly impressive in light of the pace (16.9k, 22k, 16.6k)
Actually that total of 55.5K was exceeded only by the 58.7 in 2020 of my nine 3-day tours. My top single days were 21.9 and 21.7. And that total is even more impressive for a tour nearly all in the trees, where regrouping is more often necessary.

There is little question from this TR that I have aged out of Mustang, certainly the group which flyover and John have joined. I think Adam will fit in nicely this year.

You will be missed, Tony. I'm looking forward to meeting Adam.

I'm not exactly sure what the large-group cat will look like on our 2023 tour. About half of our cat last February seemed to have seats that had been reserved by one guy. I think he again reserved a block of seats, but it was not clear he would be bringing the same group of skiers with him in 2023.

There is little question from this TR that I have aged out of Mustang, certainly the group which flyover and John have joined. I think Adam will fit in nicely this year.
So I get to be the old guy and only one over 60 this year? I hope I can hang. I have been less active than usual this Summer/Fall due to Achilles tendonitis, but did a few long walks with some hills in Spain and Portugal in Oct. I also skied 24.7K, almost 1/2 in powder, earlier this month at Kirkwood between 9 and 2:30, with 10 of my 19 lifts not high-speed.

How dense are the trees at Mustang? Most of my skiing in the Revelstoke area has been in the Monashees west of town both north and south of the Trans Canada Highway.

I only ask because at Valhalla Powder Cats we had to abort a south-facing summit run due to inversion heating and got left in some incredibly dense woods as an escape route. You know it's going to be bad when the guide says "Head to big tall trees. There you will have room to turn. But don't fall into a tree well!" It was a horrible run...

Also, some lower woods at Eagle Pass (Revy) started to get dense. Our guide/owner just took off - but some advice would have been desired. I had to pick my way through dense woods - versus going into a creek bed terrain trap. The guide started yelling - "Just ski the creek!" Would have been nice to know earlier.

After those 2 experiences: give me back the open slopes, chutes, and rocks of the Alps or Valdez. I am too old for these super dense woods.

Our guide at K3 (Revy) did a tremendous job at giving advice for tree skiing. Big Red Cats was very good too. Stellar heli was almost all above treeline.

Last edited:
Considering I've managed Mustang including trees for 10 years, ChrisC would have nothing to worry about. I have difficulties only if the snow deteriorates at lower elevation. To me tree skiing has 3 dimensions of challenge: steepness, spacing and snow conditions. Most of the time if Mustang's tree conditions have been problematic, they have kept us in the alpine. I've been lucky to avoid the combination of combination of bad vis in the alpine but bad snow in the trees, which was fairly frequent during the worst case 2014-15 season.

White Grizzly is all tree skiing and consistently steep. I was lucky in 2012 to have stellar snow conditions there. While Selkirk Wilderness' tenure is adjacent to White Grizzly, it has some alpine and more intermediate terrain. After calling them, I was satisfied Liz would be comfortable there.

The natural spacing of trees in most of interior B.C. is the best I've seen anywhere. The old growth forest at Baldface was perhaps most impressive. Spacing becomes much tighter in forests that have been logged and replanted. Revelstoke ski area is Exhibit A. Spacing there is much tighter than in most of the cat/heli terrain. After a few days the forced skiable lines in Revy's trees become mogul fields. Not my kind of skiing.

Last edited:
Tree spacing is generally pretty roomy around Mustang's tenure. Also, of course, a lot of the below-treeline skiing is open chutes, meadows, and cut blocks. Mustang has some really good high alpine terrain, but it's really nice to also have a lot of good terrain bellow treeline when its snowing and/or the visibility is poor.

It is difficult for me to imagine the tree spacing in K3's adjacent tenure is radically different, unless the altitudes are lower and/or more of it is secondary growth. On the other hand, Mustang is an older operation than K3 and Mustang's owners chose their tenure for a reason, so it seems reasonable to assume it holds some terrain advantage over K3.

My favored terrain is the subalpine like Showtime or the "Roman" runs at Mustang. There are just enough trees to provide orientation if it's snowing or flat light. But also so much spacing you can let it rip when conditions are optimal.

Back