(non-snow) Dispersed tent-trailer camping in the Uinta's?

snowave

Hey guys...

We are headed out in late August from Socal on our way to the northern Rockies for a couple weeks. I will be picking up the lady in Park City where she has a convention.. then heading east.. and then north. Was going to possibly make a stop in the Uinta's for a night and 2 days… and do some dispersed camping with the tent trailer. It does OK on easy dirt roads, but we don't want to take it too far off pavement or anything too rough.

Would like some advice on where you might suggest camping with these requirements where we can have some relative solitude, nice views, a good easy/moderate trail or two (got our 2 pups), maybe some water... etc. Less traveled/developed campgrounds are OK too, but would like to disperse camp if possible. Some place that if you only had a day or two in the Uinta's you would tell someone to go.

We are still considering setting up camp in Admin's backyard for a night or two if the beer supply is rumored to be adequate. :-"

Thanks for any advice!

snowave":gi3bm28d said:
Hey guys...

We are headed out in late August from Socal on our way to the northern Rockies for a couple weeks. I will be picking up the lady in Park City where she has a convention.. then heading east.. and then north. Was going to possibly make a stop in the Uinta's for a night and 2 days… and do some dispersed camping with the tent trailer. It does OK on easy dirt roads, but we don't want to take it too far off pavement or anything too rough.

Would like some advice on where you might suggest camping with these requirements where we can have some relative solitude, nice views, a good easy/moderate trail or two (got our 2 pups), maybe some water... etc.

Personally, addressing those requirements I'd head up into Murdock Basin to the trio of lakes - Shepard Lake, Marshall Lake and Hoover Lake - at the head of the road:

murdockbasin_map.JPG

murdockbasin_map2.JPG

A less scenic location, but with more hiking trails available nearby is a little spot next to a tiny pond at the point marked with the red flag on the road to Grandaddy Basin:

grandaddy_basin_map.JPG

If you're not the first one there, though, forget it as there's only room for one. In 2007 we drove to that trailhead and backpacked into Betsy Lake.

grandaddybasin_road.jpg

grandaddy_lake.jpg

grandaddybasin_betsylake.jpg

snowave":gi3bm28d said:
We are still considering setting up camp in Admin's backyard for a night or two if the beer supply is rumored to be adequate.

It will be if you bring it. :wink:

awesome suggestions, Admin.. thanks! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

How is the condition of road up to Murdock Basin? It looks to be about 5 miles or so of dirt road? is it rough or pretty smooth? Is this a popular spot? Are there good places to pop the tent trailer off the road? (I assume since you read my requirements, I kinda know that answers to those questions... but thought I'd get specific).

The tent trailer will be packed with beer. \:D/

snowave":3crhyu6j said:
How is the condition of road up to Murdock Basin? It looks to be about 5 miles or so of dirt road? is it rough or pretty smooth? Is this a popular spot? Are there good places to pop the tent trailer off the road?

I haven't driven the road personally, but knowing your requirements it fits with what I've heard about it.

gotcha.. thanks.

upon doing a bit more research, it sounds like that road (Murdock Basin Rd) is pretty rough past about 1.5 miles in.

not to mention, according to the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache NF website, alot of those areas might still be closed from the long winter (or maybe the website hasn't been updated in a while). I'll probably call the FS office tomorrow.

snowave":2n7q4c3h said:
a lot of those areas might still be closed from the long winter
Probably not. We had this discussion in 2005. The Uinta snowpack is not as deep as in LCC/BCC. But you should call the FS office to be sure.

Tony Crocker":3q2biw7t said:
snowave":3q2biw7t said:
a lot of those areas might still be closed from the long winter
Probably not. We had this discussion in 2005. The Uinta snowpack is not as deep as in LCC/BCC.

Which you're once again analyzing from 500 miles away with absolutely zero personal experience whatsoever. :roll: Gee, that's something different from you. I mean, please...you've never so much as even seen the Uintas, much less are able to offer any advice regarding current conditions.

Tony Crocker":3q2biw7t said:
But you should call the FS office to be sure.

Bingo.

snowave":3hs6ybu9 said:
upon doing a bit more research, it sounds like that road (Murdock Basin Rd) is pretty rough past about 1.5 miles in.
The Uinta Rock climbing guide describes Murdock Basin Rd as becoming rough and getting progressively worse, starting around the 2-mile mark. The guide recommends high-clearance for the rough road and it's "full on 4x4" for the last mile+.

snowave":3hs6ybu9 said:
not to mention, according to the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache NF website, alot of those areas might still be closed from the long winter (or maybe the website hasn't been updated in a while).
There is still 3' of snow in protected areas above 10K'. Ignore Crocker's advice about the Uintas this year. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I guess I have to document everything to fend off MarcC's snarky posts. I hypothesized this in summer 2005 when admin was going for his 12 month season. Then Admin went out to the Uintas and observed much less snow than in the Wasatch. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1149

Could the snowpack be deeper/longer lasting this year? Sure, that's why it's worth the Forest Service inquiry. The relationship between the Wasatch and the Uintas is likely to be consistent though.

I got an e-mail picture of Mammoth today 7/31/2011
MMSA_073111.JPG

Same view from 8/5/2005
file.php

you guys crack me up.

anywhoo.. just got off the phone with the FS and they advise the road is open and clear. However, we probably won't be camping up there since we have the tent trailer, and the road is rough after 2 miles... although we might go a ways in and find a spot if everything else is booked up.

thanks again for the help.

we ended up not staying in the Uinta's as it was a holiday weekend, but just wanted to say how awesome the range is. We had some great thunderstorms too, near Mirror Lake and at the summit as we were out walking a bit.

I also enjoyed the drive up 89 all the way back around to the Mt. Nebo loop alot (camped in this area), as well as the surprisingly beautiful Provo Canyon.

It was sad to see all the tree kill in Utah though... it's absolutely horrendous in some areas, as some entire mountainsides were completely wiped out.

snowave":32il806a said:
anywhoo.. just got off the phone with the FS and they advise the road is open and clear. However, we probably won't be camping up there since we have the tent trailer, and the road is rough after 2 miles...
We finally got around to doing at least part of Murdock Basin road last weekend. It's pretty much as described - progressively rougher after the 2-mile mark. While the next 1.5 miles is definitely rough, it's nothing that requires high clearance or 4x4, and people had not merely tent trailers in there, but travel trailers of all sizes, up to full on 5th-wheels. But.....after that 4-ish mile mark, the road does get more technical. We didn't do the last bit up to the basin itself as we were running short on time. Also, even the more benign sections of road are quite narrow - much of it single lane. There are places to pull over to allow for oncoming vehicles, but sometimes it's easier for one person to back up a one or two hundred feet to a pull-out - a bit of a pita with a trailer on a rough, twisty road.

As the OP no doubt noticed, there are a raftload of camping spots that are not in a typical NFS campground.

thanks for the report, Marc. Interesting to know that road was utilized that much.

More than anything, we were on a tight schedule. It was a normal weekend not the holiday, but there were alot of people up there. We could have found a spot to camp, but after getting a flat trailer tire in Park City and running around trying to get it replaced (with no luck), we were about a day behind, and without a spare... so we ended up somewhere in Wyoming that night in the forest near Afton... (after picking up a tire in Evanston).

I also enjoyed going up hwy 89 thru the central part of the state..

Back