Northeastern U.S. Weather

I've generally relied on snowfall incidence and percents of terrain open. Northeast resorts do close terrain after rain/freeze events, precipitously after the big rain event before Christmas. Trail counts drifted down some during the fairly dry first half of February but recovered with the ~15 inches of snow that fell just before President's Weekend. With little snow since then the trail counts remain high but I'm sure surfaces have degraded. That scenario is still a B in the chart linked above because I know trails do get closed when it's really bad.
Northeast trail counts are declining now. March 1 is historically when they are near maximum. Everyone is below 25th percentile in open terrain, and some areas by a lot.

Totally impossible to ski, but it was wild at Platte
LIES!! :eusa-hand:

Jason making it look easy in his skinny skis and designer coat:
jason-jpg.10176

Photo by @NYSkiBlog

Last edited by a moderator:
Also have ikon..so spent a day in DV trees.
Didn't want to rent a car as it costs as much as a week in the condo.
Once I move here...back to lcc/ bcc...as well as everywhere else.

A Virgil local mentioned "Greek Peak is going to be installing a new pump that will allow them to make snow on the entire hill all at once. That's a major game changer."

I am never sure of the ability of a Northeast ski mountain to make snow where there is a snowmaking installation.

Maybe 2-5 trails at once?

I am never sure of the ability of a Northeast ski mountain to make snow where there is a snowmaking installation.
Lol

Maybe 2-5 trails at once?
Greek is already at about 3 trails all at once. But I know that is more than one pump already. So if they add an additional pump maybe it jumps to 4-5 trails all at once. Which for Greek might have been paraphrased as 'entire hill' meaning basically the whole of the Visions Chair area at once or something? Just a guess on my part.

Once you get beyond ~2 thousand gallons per minute, it's just a lot of snowmaking going on. No idea what GP's capacity is or planned to be though.

We've gotten 40 inches so far and its still dumping. Hopefully I'm not sitting in Aspen airport all day tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back