one big mother-gettin bigger!

Yeah, I'm waiting until Tuesday to run anything. I need confirmation instead of rumor.

k,

here's a rumor, but i think truth. sugarloaf aquired gondi cars and such from big sky (some time ago), has them stored in kingfield and may install a t2b gondi like they used to have. man would that be something! i can remember riding the old gondi from bottom to top. makes for great runs when you can ski all of her in her totality from t2b.

b-r-i-n-g-i-t!

rog

more:

It's the first phase of a three phase project. Initially there won't be any lift service. Access will be via the top of the Spillway chair over the cross cut and over a new goat path that will be cut from the top of King Pine bowl.

seems reasonable to me........... 8)

rog

icelanticskier":26ylt3lv said:
more:

It's the first phase of a three phase project. Initially there won't be any lift service. Access will be via the top of the Spillway chair over the cross cut and over a new goat path that will be cut from the top of King Pine bowl.
Does that imply being able to do laps through the new terrain via the King Pine chair?

(Haven't been to the loaf in a decade, so my topographic memory is clouded.)

is the expansion going in a northerly direction....?.... if so , how much time will that add to the 98 hour drive time to get there in the first place.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joegm":2gr9xjy6 said:
is the expansion going in a northerly direction....?.... if so , how much time will that add to the 98 hour drive time to get there in the first place.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You live in Boston? Give me a fuckin break!!! I often made the 8 hr drive from central CT 'cause of the goodness of the loaf. Loaf from Boston is only an extra hour beyond Sunday Boring, and you're still sub-5 hrs. Get real.

emily drives from boston every wkend and it's 4 hours. from portsmouth it's 3. from portsmouth sunday river is close to 2.5. takes me the same to get to stowe as the loaf.

and to think i used to hit these places every mid week from the cape! ](*,) holy fahk, that was some driving.

rog

Marc_C":3th562xn said:
joegm":3th562xn said:
You live in Boston? Give me a [censored] break!!! I often made the 8 hr drive from central CT 'cause of the goodness of the loaf. Loaf from Boston is only an extra hour beyond Sunday Boring, and you're still sub-5 hrs. Get real.

8 hours from central CT would me 10+ from NYC. For me it's just not worth it. That type of drive requires advanced planning and at least 4 days on the slopes. For that type of vacation, most of the EC just isn't worth it for me. I would sooner fly out west. Frankly, between my friends condo in vail, or SLC's cheap hotels, I think it's actually cheaper for me to go out west for an extended trip.

rfarren":16h1qa45 said:
Marc_C":16h1qa45 said:
joegm":16h1qa45 said:
You live in Boston? Give me a [censored] break!!! I often made the 8 hr drive from central CT 'cause of the goodness of the loaf. Loaf from Boston is only an extra hour beyond Sunday Boring, and you're still sub-5 hrs. Get real.

8 hours from central CT would me 10+ from NYC. For me it's just not worth it. That type of drive requires advanced planning and at least 4 days on the slopes. For that type of vacation, most of the EC just isn't worth it for me. I would sooner fly out west. Frankly, between my friends condo in vail, or SLC's cheap hotels, I think it's actually cheaper for me to go out west for an extended trip.
Actually it usually took me 7, and that included stops for dinner, gas, and coffee, but sometimes weather or traffic conspired to add an hour. No matter the exact time, most people from the NYC metro area are like you and consider it too far for just a weekend, and I agree with that.

But no one from Boston should have any complaints.

Marc_C":39jp6pd4 said:
Actually it usually took me 7, and that included stops for dinner, gas, and coffee, but sometimes weather or traffic conspired to add an hour. No matter the exact time, most people from the NYC metro area are like you and consider it too far for just a weekend, and I agree with that.

But no one from Boston should have any complaints.
Well these expansions should make it worth the trip at least once, that is once the work is done.

icelanticskier":3a9nilk7 said:
emily drives from boston every wkend and it's 4 hours. from portsmouth it's 3. from portsmouth sunday river is close to 2.5. takes me the same to get to stowe as the loaf.

and to think i used to hit these places every mid week from the cape! ](*,) holy fahk, that was some driving.

rog

I don't think I ever made Sugarloaf from Portsmouth in 3 hours. 3:20 is probably the best I've ever done. 4 hours from the Bunker Hill Bridge is speed limit + 20 most of the way. I've made Sunday River in sub-2 leaving at 5:30am for fall skiing.

Geoff":o1xilyk0 said:
icelanticskier":o1xilyk0 said:

rog

I don't think I ever made Sugarloaf from Portsmouth in 3 hours. 3:20 is probably the best I've ever done. 4 hours from the Bunker Hill Bridge is speed limit + 20 most of the way. I've made Sunday River in sub-2 leaving at 5:30am for fall skiing.

3:20 from newmarket, 3 hours from ems in portsmouth where i'd often meet up with emily. we go 95 to 295 to augusta which seems to be faster than staying on 95 and getting off and going through L/A.

i've never made sunday river in less than 2:20 and it averages 2:30 for me with no traffic. 26 always seems slow. 27 from agusta to farmington and to the loaf is very fast at night.

rog

icelanticskier":1hvzr9q8 said:
we go 95 to 295 to augusta which seems to be faster than staying on 95 and getting off and going through L/A.
Going thru Augusta I found less annoying, as it seems to take forever to actually get out of Lewiston/Auburn, with a metric crapload more traffic lights. But the extra time to head further east then back west to Farmington seemed to be a wash compared to the more direct L/A option.

icelanticskier":11jrl5j3 said:
more-http://www.sugarloaf2020.com/Blog/

rog
Looks enticing. Not a huge Loaf fan but I could see that disposition changing significantly. That is certainly my type of setup with 2 (or 3 depending how far you go) lifts to cycle and lots of elbow room and lots of lines to dig through. Don't see a clean line, just traverse. The Cat idea is kind of funny. I wonder how long the wait for that would be? Better grab your :popcorn: .

riverc0il":217txi2v said:
icelanticskier":217txi2v said:
more-http://www.sugarloaf2020.com/Blog/

rog
Looks enticing. Not a huge Loaf fan but I could see that disposition changing significantly. That is certainly my type of setup with 2 (or 3 depending how far you go) lifts to cycle and lots of elbow room and lots of lines to dig through. Don't see a clean line, just traverse. The Cat idea is kind of funny. I wonder how long the wait for that would be? Better grab your :popcorn: .

ya, sure does, especially the clearing/thinning of the summit snowfields/backside. the backside is great, but would be a lot better with more vert and area with thinning of vegitation. the burnt expansion is great too, but i'd rather see them put in a base to summit gondi, better designed to run in higher winds than the old one.

i've looked over at burnt a whole lot, but never skied any of the trees beyond king pine. i know a ton of skiers do, but more often than not, i'm never willing to dig and shwack or go out of my way when the trails or convenient glades are skiing well and if it's puking i'd certainly not venture anywhere that i can't just point em down when refill is happening. i hope burnt entices the pow hounds so that people like me can just ski more untracked on the front face of the mountain. i'm sure i'd check burnt out at some point, but the draw for others draws me to the main mtn even more. just like the mittersill lift at cannon. it won't be as cool to go over there anymore cuz you don't have to hike and many locals may avoid it cuz there's a lift. more reason for me to ski over there now.

it's all working out! \:D/

hi steve!

rog

icelanticskier":2sl5ckn6 said:
...the clearing/thinning of the summit snowfields/backside. the backside is great, but would be a lot better with more vert and area with thinning of vegetation. the burnt expansion is great too,...
Given average snowfall of 176 inches vs. 250-300+ in NVT, I'm guessing extensive clearing/thinning is going to be necessary to get this terrain skiable any more often than say, the Slides at Whiteface. Waiting for a natural "40-inch rule" won't do it here. Nonetheless Sugarloaf is near the top of the list of areas that interest me if I return to the Northeast sometime.

Back