Our vision at Liftlines

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
mark in the [url=http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=617#617:2nkb4cx4 said:
Jumbo Glacier thread in the Lift Corral Western forum[/url]":2nkb4cx4]i would also like to add i'm impressed with the ability of the forum users to carry on a debatable topic as this without resorting to insults and death threats. very impressive compared to a lot of other forums i have visited.
hope to contribute much more throughout the season.

And we hope that you do (see my comment in the Whistler update topic).

An Anonymous guest also spoke of essentially [url=http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=514#514:2nkb4cx4 said:
the same point in the Jumbo Glacier thread[/url] when he/she":2nkb4cx4]Thank you Mark for your positive support to the project. I've had enough with the forums at Biglines... Everyone is soo negative about it... Its giving me headaches.

Due to the fact that our forums were down for the last third of the summer, most of the folks you see discussing things now are the core membership from our old boards. However, folks whom we've never seen around here before are signing up as new forum members constantly, which bodes well, they're just not terribly talkative yet as the season hasn't begun except at a tiny number of western resorts. To date, less than half of our registered users have ever posted a single message! Just look at the traffic: our new Liftlines BBS system has enjoyed no less than 24,632 page hits since Oct. 1 at the time of this writing. Tony Crocker became more involved in this project by becoming a Moderator because of the potential for our Lift Corral forums on Liftlines to become a nationwide (worldwide?) forum for user-submitted snow condition reports. We now turn to you, our user base thus far, to help us develop that concept by submitting reports after each day on the hill. Chances are that you're emailing the details to a buddy, anyway, so it doesn't take much effort to copy and paste the body of that email and make some minor changes to suit the readership here. If only a fraction of those people who contributed to 24,632 page hits in 22 days submitted a No-Bull Ski report, well...just think of the possibilities.

Naturally, an influx of new users has the potential to develop into the negative situation that you're observed at other forums because new members haven't yet had the chance to get to know each other well enough to foster a sense of mutual personal respect, but Tony and I are committed to strictly adhering to our principles of maintaining a positive atmosphere around here. We have no desire to stifle debate -- quite to the contrary, we encourage it as that's what makes for provocative reading -- but debate needs to take place with an appropriate decorum. We will never shy away from a controversial topic related to skiing or snowboarding. Not even our sponsors or advertisers are sacred cows. Debate is good, but personal attacks lead to nothing positive. One only needs to look at the results of flame wars at rec.skiing.alpine (for us old-timers on the Internet) or, more recently, the M&M forum at AMC to see that once things spiral out of control, there's no bringing them back. I'm happy to be able to say that we have yet to have that problem here, and we'll do our best via moderation of the boards to ensure that it never kills the productive spirit at Liftlines at First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine.

Amen to that. I love these forums for the good TR's and also there generally nice community. Like you have mentioned I have been on many othere forums (not all of them) but many that just turn into flame wars when people don't agree. I have yet to see that here, and I really hope it doesn't. You guys do a really good job moderating and also keeping things going smoothly here. I've been reading the other forums for 2 years and look for another season of good reading. I'll probably submit some of my own reports this year now that i'm skiing real mountains. Thanks for running this site, and striving to keep it a good place for open discussion.

Admin":63k077cn said:
Debate is good, but personal attacks lead to nothing positive. One only needs to look at the results of flame wars at rec.skiing.alpine (for us old-timers on the Internet) or, more recently, the M&M forum at AMC to see that once things spiral out of control, there's no bringing them back.

OH, I remember those fun days, debates on whether rec.skiing should be divided up into many groups like rec.skiing.alpine, ect. :roll:

I am much happier here :D

Back