Palisades Alpine and Northstar, CA 3/8/24

tseeb

I left friend’s house 15-20 min. ahead of him and my wife and took West River Street to get to 89S avoiding the Mousehole and had no traffic. They got off I-80W and found so much traffic they turned around and went shopping in Reno in their ski clothes. I joined last day of SkiTalk annual Gathering with high hopes of being led around Alpine by two instructors including sinecure who is active on TGR and offered to lead those with avy gear into some interesting terrain. We loaded Roundhouse not much after 9, skied a smooth groomer, then went up Summit with some of the group doing an easier route that turned out to be frozen while we skied Alpine Bowl. It was a beautiful clear day (morning low reported at cold Truckee was 8), the first since last weekend’s storm, but it was windy enough to not want to linger on top. We skied into Charity groomer, then repeated Roundhouse into what seemed like the same groomer for the third time.

Then while we were in short line for Summit, the power failed. All lifts stopped except for Base2Base gondola connecting to Olympic Valley which must be powered from there. A big black cloud came out of building to W of Main Lodge, probably the generator starting. At least we were not on lift as people were stuck on Summit, some in 50 mph wind at the top, for more than an hour. More info on power failure.

I enjoyed the scenery while in nearly non-existent line at Base2Base gondola for a while and used their phone and camera to take better posed pictures of these young ladies catching some sun.
8513FourGirls.JPG

8514AlpineBase.JPG

I talked to Bob (Pat aka mustski’s husband) who recommended going to Northstar as Palisades Olympic Valley would be overloaded with Alpine down. I thought I could ski Resort chair, Red Dog and KT for a couple of hours, but eventually took Bob's advice and went to Northstar. I rode Martis camp 9x (only good lift w/o line - they were not running Promised Land or Rendezvous) between 1130 and 230.

Leaving Alpine I had 1/2 to 3/4 mile of traffic waiting to turn left at working signal at 89. Then there was a big backup to turn left at signal into Palisades so I turned after light into 7-11 but saw 2 lanes of stopped traffic trying to get into Olympic Valley (where all parking filled) so I went to Northstar, parking in Castle Peak lot and taking bus up and back. Snow was not as good as previous day although Washoe groomer that I skied twice was smoother. I found some short powder shots although most of it had a crust and I had to be careful not to get railed into a tree more than once. I would have liked to included riding Vista and skiing Loggers Loop and The Woods to return to Northstar base, but line was long enough that I didn’t. I left early enough to not have traffic returning to friend’s house N of Truckee. Only picture I took at N* is sign I saw while skiing trees between Stampede run and the lift.
8515DLine.JPG

Getting to Martis Creek lift I rode Village Express and Zephyr chairs then Lookout Link poma.
IMG_8518.PNG
IMG_8519.PNG

Last edited:
Back