Patrick's Streak, Ski Travel Priorities

I would ski at American Dream when they are featuring seeded bumps.
Features of some kind would seem essential for these places. SNO Oslo had park features on one side, race training on the other with a smooth groomer in the middle. We did not realize at the time that SNO Oslo was far on the high end of the scale for an indoor ski facility. We did suspect that the suspended cross country track was unusual but necessary to attract more of the locals.

Last edited:
Maybe that's part of why he did it on the 25th?
Based on the forecast weather and filled up calendar.
26: ski banquet in Montreal
28-29: online course at home in Ottawa
30+: Montreal - had workers redo floors of tenant apartment. They should be done tomorrow Nov 1.

What happens if a car issue or accident occurs? Meltdown?
As mentioned… keeping my fingers crossed.
If you are wondering, that was probably one of the closest moment the ski streak was in jeopardy.
Others:
Pucon, CL August 30, 2008 - pouring rain and closure after one run.
West Virginia / Hurricane Sandy, October 31, 2012
1st few months of the pandemic with closed interprovincial borders: April-July 2020
June 2023: dislocated elbow.

Last minute flights:
2007:
Flew out to Denver on October 27. Skied 28-30 and came back after skiing on Oct 30.

2017:
Left for Denver on October 30, skied 31-3. Returned home after skiing Nov 3, back home for daughter bday the next day.

The extremely close call saved by Frankenstorm 2012: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/201...virginia-style-part-1-timberline-oct-31-2012/

This just seems so stressful, and most of the time poor $ ski value - but I get it. But are you ever going to go out on your terms, or the streak will just get killed by some planning disaster? Generally, it's always best to go out on top.

The only semi-streaks I had/have going:
  • Ski every month of the year. Achieved in the early 2000s.
  • Ski every month on natural snow. Achieved sometime in the mid-2000s.
  • Summit major volcanoes in the Cascades. Finished Mt. Shasta in 2004 - most done in the late 90s/early 2000s.
    • 1 Mount Rainier 14,411 feet tall Washington State
      2 Mount Shasta 14,179 feet tall California
      3 Mount Adams 12,281 feet tall Washington State
      4 Mount Hood 11,249 feet tall Oregon
      5 Little Tahoma 11,138 feet tall Washington State - NO, Rainier sub-peak
      6 Mount Baker 10,786 feet tall Washington State
      7 Glacier Peak 10,525 feet tall Washington State
      8 Mount Jefferson 10,502 feet tall Oregon
      9 Lassen Peak 10,457 feet tall California
  • Visit every US National Park. Started when I moved West - going on forever. Still working on it. Missing the following:
    • West: Great Basin, Channel Islands (again, SoCal is a different universe)
    • Mid: Isle Royale, Voyageurs, Hot Springs
    • Hawaii/Islands: Volcanoes, Haleakala, American Samoa
    • Alaska: Lake Clark, Gates of the Arctic, Glacier Bay (Likely will never visit these, Logistics/Cost$)
  • Skiing: Not really any list. Major mountains in the US/Canada. Anything that looks bucket list interesting. Changes all the time.
  • Scuba: Best of Caribbean/Bahamas/SoFlorida.
    • Bonaire - The Shore Diving Capital of the World
    • Cozumel, Mexico - Excellent Drift Dives, Beautiful Corals & Diverse Marine Life
      Jardines de la Reina, Cuba - Sharks, Crocodiles & Healthy Reefs - NOT YET
      Cayman Islands - Walls, Wrecks & Amazing Diversity
      Bahamas - Sharks, Sharks, Sharks!!
      Roatan, Honduras - Laidback Caribbean Destination with Excellent Diving
      Belize - Unspoiled Destination with Amazing Diversity
      Dominican Republic - Caribbean's Humpback Whale Hotspot - NO, not interested
      Turks and Caicos - Excellent Shark Diving & World Class Wall Sites
      Dominica - NOT YET
      Curaçao - Excellent Alternative to Bonaire
      Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago - Laidback Destination with Excellent Drift Dives - NOT YET
      British Virgin Islands - for great wreck diving and amazing coral reefs
      Saba, St. Kitts, and St. Eustatius - an adventure in a volcanic dive environment
      Aruba - the Caribbean's premier wreck destination - NO, not interested
      St. Vincent and the Grenadines - a muck-diving destination with amazing visibility
      St Maarten/ St Martin - vibrant reefs and wrecks great for Open Water divers. - NO, not interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
From that 2012 report :smileyvault-stirthepot: :
I had done Colorado’s WROD once back in 2007 and I wasn’t willing to repeat it. Once is fine, two is stupid when you don’t have unlimited time or resources.
But the longer a streak goes, such considerations gradually fall by the wayside.
2017: Left for Denver on October 30, skied 31-3.
I predict this will never happen again with the New Jersey backup available. However, if Big Snow New Jersey had existed in 2012, Hurricane Sandy surely would have closed it, so maybe West Virginia would have been necessary. OTOH seeing that prediction, Patrick probably goes to New Jersey before Sandy hits.

Ok.... I just go a email the World OCD Association...Indoor skiing DOES NOT COUNT!!! The streak can only survives if the skiing is done on natural terrain ... No man made structures..
That's it , everyone knows the rules..

:bow::p

Back